Back to Amazon.com
Derby #111: Blues

Blue Orchid

I'm not seeing the connection to the 'blue' theme.

Rejected because: I'm not seeing the connection to the 'blue' theme.

add a comment

Comments

Gregthavious


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gregthavious

The stomach of the humming bird against the flower is jarring, but I love the abstract circles.

imsochady


quality posts: 30 Private Messages imsochady
Re: Blue Orchid


That is one cool looking bird!

kn1srut1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kn1srut1
Re: Blue Orchid


I love the bird...looks like a Dr. Bird from jamaica. Beautifully designed. The flower reminds me of some very off-putting things though...also looks kinda forced together. You may consider a resub w/ a simpler background graphic.

lindab53


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindab53
Re: Blue Orchid


I love the bird, but not the drippy flower behind it.

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
Re: Blue Orchid


This is very beautiful. Great job (:


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

wugsby


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wugsby
Re: Blue Orchid


very beautiful design overall! good contrast between the bird and the flower, really makes it stand out. GMV

mllemeranii


quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii
Re: Blue Orchid


Bow chika bow wow....

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

Ugh... why on baby blue?! Baby blue shirts just don't work with me. Love the design and would be all over this one if it wasn't on baby blue. Obviously some elements would have to change, but I'd love to see another version of this one.

It's nice to see somebody using the blues theme and not using JUST blue which I'm finding rather boring in most of the designs. Some of them are really cool designs, I'll give it that, but it wouldn't hurt to add a touch of another color.

Jaiyla


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jaiyla
Re: Blue Orchid


I love everything about this shirt. The design is the most beautiful I have seen. I would love, love, love to get this shirt. Great job.

Booperelli


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Booperelli
Re: Blue Orchid


The flower is, uh... reminiscent of Georgia O'Keeffe's...

jandizi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jandizi
Re: Blue Orchid


I like the bird but not the flower. It would be great on a red, orange, or white shirt.

KaylaJ


quality posts: 29 Private Messages KaylaJ
Re: Blue Orchid


yeah, like others i feel the flower is just lost in the background. but maybe its not what to pay attention to anyway?

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
Re: Blue Orchid


The flower alone and the humming bird alone have very distinct styles that seem to clash to me in this design. I think by themselves they're each kind of neat...I can't help too but think these were once originally photos.

If they weren't then I'm sorry for insinuating they were!

vaguedisclaimer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vaguedisclaimer
Re: Blue Orchid


Love the bird, hate the flower. It doesn't seem to match the hummingbird quite right, and I wish you'd use another color (black? something to make it pop) for it so there's not too much blue.

Tanapangarap


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tanapangarap
Re: Blue Orchid

For some reason, the swirls on and around the bird remind me of the PS2 game Ōkami​. I have the same criticism about the foreground being far more attractive than the background. Wish they complemented each other better. Whatever that means. However that could be done.

Get with The Program.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Blue Orchid


I can appreciate it's inherent presence, but it does not stir me to emotion or purchase.

jasneko


quality posts: 33 Private Messages jasneko
binkdrop wrote:The flower alone and the humming bird alone have very distinct styles that seem to clash to me in this design.

I kind of agree here, the flower and bird don't seem congruous with each other because of such different styles.
Nevertheless, each element is quite beautiful.



theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
mllemeranii wrote:Bow chika bow wow....

Seconded.


srs12


quality posts: 1 Private Messages srs12
Re: Blue Orchid


looks like you made the bird first, which is great. but then it looks like you slapped it on a background that isn't up to par. sorry mate, no vote this time because it doesn't blend good enough.

jewelwing


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
jasneko wrote:I kind of agree here, the flower and bird don't seem congruous with each other because of such different styles.
Nevertheless, each element is quite beautiful.


Also agree. Not a big fan of designs that are made of different elements all pasted together. Pretty yes, but it makes me wonder how much effort really went into it.

mllemeranii


quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii
theinfinityloop wrote:Seconded.


I was wondering if it was just me. Glad to know it's not. Thanks!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mllemeranii wrote:I was wondering if it was just me. Glad to know it's not. Thanks!


I am simply glad I've never seen anything this hideous coming out of "similar flowers". That would be a dealbreaker.

Are people bothering to look at the terrible splotchyness at the bottom? Seriously, one more case of a "Designer" who can't design yet continually does well.

devdave


quality posts: 0 Private Messages devdave
Re: Blue Orchid


you have serious skills my friend.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
AdderXYU wrote:I am simply glad I've never seen anything this hideous coming out of "similar flowers". That would be a dealbreaker.

Are people bothering to look at the terrible splotchyness at the bottom? Seriously, one more case of a "Designer" who can't design yet continually does well.

lol at the first part of the comment.

The second part reminds me of a joke.

"My mother always warned me about taking the bus. She said there is always ONE weirdo on the bus. But I could never find him."

Booperelli


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Booperelli
Re: Blue Orchid


So no one's gonna come out and say it?

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
Booperelli wrote:So no one's gonna come out and say it?

mllemeranii and Adder basically did, just with a twist of humor instead of literally saying it. ;)

Booperelli


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Booperelli
mikenytola wrote:mllemeranii and Adder basically did, just with a twist of humor instead of literally saying it. ;)


Oh, I know. I threw something out there as well.

I just figured some less quippy, more blunt member would have laid it on the table by now.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
Booperelli wrote:Oh, I know. I threw something out there as well.

I just figured some less quippy, more blunt member would have laid it on the table by now.

Well I could say that the humming bird is red... ;) ;)

homeschoolwinner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages homeschoolwinner
mllemeranii wrote:Bow chika bow wow....


*takes a second look*

great. thanks guys.

jeepers...


"Love is the meaning of life, Life is the meaning of love" The Rutles

invisiblecrazy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages invisiblecrazy
Re: Blue Orchid


I really can't see myself wearing big drippy blue labia...

(I noticed everyone was pussyfooting around it, so I thought I would come out and say it...)


Sarcasm makes the person who uses it look ugly.
Hyperbole makes the person who uses it look taller.

jumcdona


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jumcdona
AdderXYU wrote:
Are people bothering to look at the terrible splotchyness at the bottom? Seriously, one more case of a "Designer" who can't design yet continually does well.


What "splotchyness" are you talking about?

Muntoe


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Muntoe
Re: Blue Orchid


Uhh usually I'm not so critical on woot, especially on derby designs because I'm afraid people will get angry with me, but I really don't like this design at all. It looks like two different things were pasted together (even worse, two pictures taken from somewhere), added in a photoshop filter, got the treatment with some brushes, and then plastered on a baby blue shirt that hardly anybody wears.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Muntoe wrote:Uhh usually I'm not so critical on woot, especially on derby designs because I'm afraid people will get angry with me, but I really don't like this design at all. It looks like two different things were pasted together (even worse, two pictures taken from somewhere), added in a photoshop filter, got the treatment with some brushes, and then plastered on a baby blue shirt that hardly anybody wears.


So, you mean a kdeuce shirt, then?

jumcdona wrote:What "splotchyness" are you talking about?


you don't see the coffee-rings and drippings?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
AdderXYU wrote:So, you mean a kdeuce shirt, then?


That's not fair at all. kdeuce's designs are usually very cohesive. This one instead uses two very disparate elements (to negative effect, in my opinion). It's a departure from his usual style; I don't recall seeing anything like this from him before.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

LenCar25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LenCar25
Re: Blue Orchid


I really hope this shirt wins oh man i want it so badly
this derby is amazing cause there are no terrible black backrounds or white backrounds

truffleshuffle


quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Re: Blue Orchid


I really like the bird but as many others have said, I wish the flower wasn't there...or was at least different. Spose it wouldn't be on theme then though *sigh*

JakobAndPatrick


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JakobAndPatrick
I am in love with this design. It's by far my favorite in the derby.

Re: Blue Orchid

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987

I pretty much have the same issues with this design that have been voiced by others:

The hummingbird looks tacked on, and the orchid... well, it looks like an orchid. The two images are kinda bland and don't really blend that well.

kn1srut1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages kn1srut1
invisiblecrazy wrote:I really can't see myself wearing big drippy blue labia...

(I noticed everyone was pussyfooting around it, so I thought I would come out and say it...)


Thanks...for saying what I was too embarassed to.

MaryESP


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaryESP
Re: Blue Orchid


I generally prefer more concept driven designs.

Still, this isn't as boring as two of the other shirts in the fog right now.

The colors on the hummingbird are cool.

Kirbmasta


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kirbmasta

I think the design would be much better if you removed the orchid from the shirt, put a little more detail where the humming bird isnt, just so it fills more space, and then put it on a darker blue shirt, as the red and dark blue go wonderfully together.

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Re: Blue Orchid


I like it. I like the comparison between the two styles. I think flowers look beautiful in the inked styles as well.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
eHalcyon wrote:That's not fair at all. kdeuce's designs are usually very cohesive. This one instead uses two very disparate elements (to negative effect, in my opinion). It's a departure from his usual style; I don't recall seeing anything like this from him before.


Seconded. I don't really see how this is derivative of his previous work. FWIW, I kind of like the design, but now that I've seen the flower thing, I sort of can't unsee it.

Dig the bird, though.

darkkish


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkkish
Re: Blue Orchid


This isn't sad or even blue, and the bird isn't playing a saxophone or a bass. There is a blurry blue flower behind it. I like this shirt design but if the other shirts break the rules, than this one does even more than the others. Stop playing favorites, and reject this one, or bring the others back. I'd prefer the latter.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
darkkish wrote:This isn't sad or even blue, and the bird isn't playing a saxophone or a bass. There is a blurry blue flower behind it. I like this shirt design but if the other shirts break the rules, than this one does even more than the others. Stop playing favorites, and reject this one, or bring the others back. I'd prefer the latter.

A Blue Orchard is a real thing, so it is sticking to the theme. It does not need to be about only the "blues" in a music sense. If it were a random flower that was colored blue then you would be correct and it should be rejected.

darkkish


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkkish
mikenytola wrote:A Blue Orchard is a real thing, so it is sticking to the theme. It does not need to be about only the "blues" in a music sense. If it were a random flower that was colored blue then you would be correct and it should be rejected.


Orchid* and there are such things as blue birds too.



Maybe it was this type of bird that got rejected.

Duddles86


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Duddles86

The bird in this is cool but not on topic. The flower looks like a... and doesn't fit with the design. I can't believe this lasted when the blue bird one that looked better got rejected. I hope that something displaces this one from the fog. At this point I am tempted to vote for any shirt that is close just to try to kick this one out of the fog.

Altheahelaine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Altheahelaine
Duddles86 wrote:The bird in this is cool but not on topic. The flower looks like a... and doesn't fit with the design. I can't believe this lasted when the blue bird one that looked better got rejected. I hope that something displaces this one from the fog. At this point I am tempted to vote for any shirt that is close just to try to kick this one out of the fog.


....

I live, I learn, and so aid my end while I believe I'm winning

darkkish


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkkish
Re: Blue Orchid


Why would you ever remove entries that have been in the fog for half of the length of the derby? People are obviously planning on buying them.

Altheahelaine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Altheahelaine
darkkish wrote:Why would you ever remove entries that have been in the fog for half of the length of the derby? People are obviously planning on buying them.


Or reject things for not being blue enough when they said that it was any interpretation of blue.

I live, I learn, and so aid my end while I believe I'm winning

paxetaurora


quality posts: 1 Private Messages paxetaurora
mikenytola wrote:A Blue Orchard is a real thing, so it is sticking to the theme. It does not need to be about only the "blues" in a music sense. If it were a random flower that was colored blue then you would be correct and it should be rejected.


Not to mention that hummingbirds (the type of bird depicted here) are highly attracted to blue. There are some gross stories out there about hummingbirds trying to suck the eyes out of blue-eyed people, I swear to God.

watching the films Woot...MAJORLY dropped the ball rejecting this one, even more so than sekiyoku's. As a fan of both flowers and the White Stripes (see their song "Blue Orchid"), I would have been in for one of these.

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
Re: Blue Orchid


Blue orchids are real, but they're more purple in color, and I don't believe they look like the flower depicted. I can see how woot would take this design as featuring a naturally non-blue flower, making it blue and slapping the tag "blue orchid" on it to make it on theme. I'm not saying that's what kdeuce did intentionally, but it's not all that egregious a rejection.

As for simply featuring blue as being on theme, I thought that should be the case as well. However, woot's been rejecting designs that only tie into the theme that way, so it appears they've spoken.

Altheahelaine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Altheahelaine
jmmbell1987 wrote:As for simply featuring blue as being on theme, I thought that should be the case as well. However, woot's been rejecting designs that only tie into the theme that way, so it appears they've spoken.


A lot of people are interpreting it this way but if you read close you'll see that it has to interpret the word blue- as a emotion, or music or whatever that's up to you. But simply having the color blue in your submission is not enough, as you mentioned.

I live, I learn, and so aid my end while I believe I'm winning

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
Re: Blue Orchid

Oh well, rejected. Keep the hummingbird around for another derby, I really like it sans the flower.

jeffdano


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffdano

I don't see how it's NOT a blue theme... Woot! Derby rules suck. Passing up any winners this time around. If it's not shirts getting lost in the mail it's scaffolding floating to the top of the Derby week after week. Blue Orchid artist... You sell this anywhere else and I'm there!

jfmills


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfmills
jeffdano wrote:I don't see how it's NOT a blue theme... Woot! Derby rules suck. Passing up any winners this time around. If it's not shirts getting lost in the mail it's scaffolding floating to the top of the Derby week after week. Blue Orchid artist... You sell this anywhere else and I'm there!



Same, I was so looking forward to this one making it because my daughter loved it and wanted one. So much for that. I would so totally buy it if it sells anywhere else.

jumcdona


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jumcdona
Altheahelaine wrote:A lot of people are interpreting it this way but if you read close you'll see that it has to interpret the word blue- as a emotion, or music or whatever that's up to you. But simply having the color blue in your submission is not enough, as you mentioned.


If that's true, then well over half the entries that are still up should be rejected based on just using the color and not an interpretation as a submission. Blueberries (not an interpretation but actually blue), the Earth (again, blue and not an interpretation), blue crayons, blue jays, blue whales... all still up.

Woot intentionally leaves the rules wide open for interpretation to get a large range of submissions and then rejects submissions based on "not following the theme" when the theme is so vague in the first place. It's the rejecting of some pieces but keeping others that make the same violation. Why? It's frustrating.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
jumcdona wrote:If that's true, then well over half the entries that are still up should be rejected based on just using the color and not an interpretation as a submission. Blueberries (not an interpretation but actually blue), the Earth (again, blue and not an interpretation), blue crayons, blue jays, blue whales... all still up.

Woot intentionally leaves the rules wide open for interpretation to get a large range of submissions and then rejects submissions based on "not following the theme" when the theme is so vague in the first place. It's the rejecting of some pieces but keeping others that make the same violation. Why? It's frustrating.


Crayons are all about color. So is this derby. Ergo...

blue jays, blue whales, and blueberries are all items which are blue. Not randomly blue. Always blue. Blueness is a huge characteristic of these items. Unlike the bird shown, which is some random bird done in blue.

And the earth entry has a number of informed reasons to keep it: the concept of the "deep blue sea" being one... the fact that we think of the world as "green and blue." And the fact that the joke on water being sort of like "world juice" is set out like an orange. Orange is a color. The world could be said to be a blue.

Yet any explanation for the other design is a grasp, and a tenuous one at best. There is no saying about birds that makes any bird which is blue count. There is no indication it is a bird of any species. The design would be NO different if the colors changed. The world would. The whale, jay, and berries would. In fact, none of these designs would make much sense with another color. why is the blue jay red? Why is the blue whale purple? Why is the earth shown with puce water? The crayons would not, but they are, again, agents of color, and ergo on theme. Unlike a bird. No matter what metaphor you pull out your ascot.

HalfWheat


quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
jumcdona wrote:If that's true, then well over half the entries that are still up should be rejected based on just using the color and not an interpretation as a submission. Blueberries (not an interpretation but actually blue), the Earth (again, blue and not an interpretation), blue crayons, blue jays, blue whales... all still up.

Woot intentionally leaves the rules wide open for interpretation to get a large range of submissions and then rejects submissions based on "not following the theme" when the theme is so vague in the first place. It's the rejecting of some pieces but keeping others that make the same violation. Why? It's frustrating.


The only important rejections are the ones that have some chance of printing. Yes, they've left a lot of things unrejected, but it doesn't matter as far as the derby goes because those shirts are never going to get near the top ten, much less into the fog.

Yes, it's not fair to see those entries still alive when your own favorite bit the dust, but in the end it doesn't really matter. I think it would be better if Woot did reject everything rejectale so that these arguments couldn't be made, but at this point they do leave things alive that should be rejected.

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
AdderXYU wrote:
Yet any explanation for the other design is a grasp, and a tenuous one at best. There is no saying about birds that makes any bird which is blue count. There is no indication it is a bird of any species. The design would be NO different if the colors changed.


I didn't fully recognize this theme as meaning that the design had to be specifically about blue, because of this:
"...or make your design a study in the color blue"

So...technically my design should've been out as well if your interpretation of the theme is correct. The colors could have been changed on mine, and the picture would've still made sense...if there is any sense to be made of it. I honestly thought that if the design didn't directly refer to a blue object/concept, then it could be something kind of unrelated, but that was drawn in all blue colors - has to be all blue, no others, hence the "make your design a study in the color blue" bit.

Some further clarification from Woot would've been nice so I and others know for future derbies.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
binkdrop wrote:I didn't fully recognize this theme as meaning that the design had to be specifically about blue, because of this:
"...or make your design a study in the color blue"

So...technically my design should've been out as well if your interpretation of the theme is correct. The colors could have been changed on mine, and the picture would've still made sense...if there is any sense to be made of it. I honestly thought that if the design didn't directly refer to a blue object/concept, then it could be something kind of unrelated, but that was drawn in all blue colors - has to be all blue, no others, hence the "make your design a study in the color blue" bit.

Some further clarification from Woot would've been nice so I and others know for future derbies.


Without bothering about whether yours is or isn't on topic (and there certainly are some that are not and are still here), would you argue that sekiyoku's is a study on the color blue? Because if so, I'd recommend you reacquaint yourself with the concept of "a study". It is simply an object with no common blue connection plopped onto a blue shirt. That is not a study.

HalfWheat


quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
binkdrop wrote:I didn't fully recognize this theme as meaning that the design had to be specifically about blue, because of this:
"...or make your design a study in the color blue"

So...technically my design should've been out as well if your interpretation of the theme is correct. The colors could have been changed on mine, and the picture would've still made sense...if there is any sense to be made of it. I honestly thought that if the design didn't directly refer to a blue object/concept, then it could be something kind of unrelated, but that was drawn in all blue colors - has to be all blue, no others, hence the "make your design a study in the color blue" bit.

Some further clarification from Woot would've been nice so I and others know for future derbies.


I read it as an either-or thing as you did. Either a play on the word blue (blues music, feeling blue, bluebird of happiness, etc.) or a study in the color blue. But if it's a study in the color blue and not a play on the words, then a blue object wouldn't be enough.

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
HalfWheat wrote:I read it as an either-or thing as you did. Either a play on the word blue (blues music, feeling blue, bluebird of happiness, etc.) or a study in the color blue. But if it's a study in the color blue and not a play on the words, then a blue object wouldn't be enough.


Thanks for the feedback. I only asked because it was said they had a "green" derby before I believe, and if I had misinterpreted the rules this time and another color derby comes around, I want to make sure what I create does strictly adhere to what the topic is.

I didn't mean to pop into the middle of the discussion over Sekiyoku's design, and the question was really a me-specific one, but I wanted to ask so I can avoid misinterpreting future similar derby requirements. Gotta follow the rules to play the game, right? :p

Altheahelaine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Altheahelaine
jumcdona wrote:If that's true, then well over half the entries that are still up should be rejected based on just using the color and not an interpretation as a submission. Blueberries (not an interpretation but actually blue), the Earth (again, blue and not an interpretation), blue crayons, blue jays, blue whales... all still up.


"Blue"berries. "Blue" planet, "Blue" oceans. Blue is a crayon color. Blue jays and Blue whales are real species.

I seem to have misstyped. Not only interpretations here but things that are actually blue, and have a solid standing as that way.

edit: scrolling back up I see others have already argued my point.

I live, I learn, and so aid my end while I believe I'm winning

HalfWheat


quality posts: 18 Private Messages HalfWheat
Altheahelaine wrote:"Blue"berries. "Blue" planet, "Blue" oceans. Blue is a crayon color. Blue jays and Blue whales are real species.

I seem to have misstyped. Not only interpretations here but things that are actually blue, and have a solid standing as that way.

edit: scrolling back up I see others have already argued my point.


Not really. I mean, what you typed wasn't really wrong. A drawing of blueberries is an interpretation of those blueberries as the artist sees them. It's the artist's view of a thing that is inherently blue.

On the other hand, a blue strawberry would need something else going on for it to make sense. Like it's blue because it's sad or it's in disguise or something. Because it's not inherently blue and coloring a random something blue is not enough to be on theme.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail

Whoa there buckaroo!

If you wanna vote, you need to with your Woot or Amazon account. If you don’t sign in, you can’t vote. And if you don’t vote, then your favorite design may never make the cut…and that will be a sad day for you and your friends and us. Create an account, sign in…DO IT!! Oh, and sorry (not sorry) we called you buckaroo.