Derby #206: Role Reversal
+1082

Scissors, Paper, Rock

Scissors, Paper, Rock
add a comment

Comments

Radscoolian


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Hope you all like!

bassanimation


quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Niiice, I like the way you did the fire, that is rad!

ochopika


quality posts: 33 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Wow, that is really clever (or I'm really slow). I was all all like "how is this role reversal...oh...OH. LoL."
Yea, everyone else probably gets it instantly.

Radscoolian


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
bassanimation wrote:Niiice, I like the way you did the fire, that is rad!


Why thank you, Bass!

Radscoolian


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
ochopika wrote:Wow, that is really clever (or I'm really slow). I was all all like "how is this role reversal...oh...OH. LoL."
Yea, everyone else probably gets it instantly.


Thanks! And don't be so hard on yourself. Not immediately understanding a dumb shirt isn't a crime in america (not so in Norway...)

Adam7986


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adam7986
Radscoolian wrote:Thanks! And don't be so hard on yourself. Not immediately understanding a dumb shirt isn't a crime in america (not so in Norway...)


clever design, the file seems a little off tho. wish the paper was holding tape or something.

Radscoolian


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
Adam7986 wrote:clever design, the file seems a little off tho. wish the paper was holding tape or something.


Good idea! When I first doodled this out, fire vs paper and jack hammer vs rock were pretty easy, but whats the opposite of scissors? I wanted something that could be used as a weapon. I thought about wire, 'cause I ruined a lot of scissors growing up cutting wire and getting notches, but that seemed Sirius GPP.
A file was the best I could come up with.
Tape would have been a nice addition, and would have given paper a little more interest...
Oh well.

bluetuba


quality posts: 60 Private Messages bluetuba
Radscoolian wrote:Good idea! When I first doodled this out, fire vs paper and jack hammer vs rock were pretty easy, but whats the opposite of scissors? I wanted something that could be used as a weapon. I thought about wire, 'cause I ruined a lot of scissors growing up cutting wire and getting notches, but that seemed Sirius GPP.
A file was the best I could come up with.
Tape would have been a nice addition, and would have given paper a little more interest...
Oh well.


I think the file works very well, it's clear that it dulls the scissors and it can indeed be wielded like a weapon. Tape can't look like a weapon at all and be recognizable, and I don't really see how it beats scissors anyway, tape still gets cut.. it's just annoying for the scissors.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 294 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Sweet work, RADsCOOLian!

There's actually a PatrickSpens vibe to this. Quality.

Paper rock scissors is potentially a bit overfamiliar, but your props raise it into something clever. +1

Radscoolian


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
Spiritgreen wrote:Sweet work, RADsCOOLian!

There's actually a PatrickSpens vibe to this. Quality.

Paper rock scissors is potentially a bit overfamiliar, but your props raise it into something clever. +1


Thanks!
That guy's awesome.
And you're awesome. So that's like a x2 complement! (my algebra is a little rusty)

The last few weeks, my references were way too esoteric to be well received (besides being poorly illustrated)
This week, I was trying to shoot center mass.

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Spiritgreen wrote:
There's actually a PatrickSpens vibe to this. Quality.


It is a little too close for me. Pretty darn similar in style, color palette and even layout. It shouldn't get rejector or anything, but I have to point it out...

jhgalvas


quality posts: 25 Private Messages jhgalvas
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


I love this shirt! The weapons are all very fitting, the art is great, the theme is dead on... what more can I say?

p.s. is the fire supposed to look like a dragon? 'cause it totally does!

bluejester


quality posts: 602 Private Messages bluejester
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Nice fire effects you have going on their. I don't mind the occasional rock, paper, scissors reference either.

Radscoolian


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
chumpmagic wrote:It is a little too close for me. Pretty darn similar in style, color palette and even layout. It shouldn't get rejector or anything, but I have to point it out...


I look forward to the day that people could confuse anything I draw with his work. It is not this day

j8675309d


quality posts: 0 Private Messages j8675309d
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock

paper covers rock paranoid android. i want this.

theseize


quality posts: 1 Private Messages theseize
Radscoolian wrote:Hope you all like!


Clever design... I want one!

blanked


quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
Radscoolian wrote:
A file was the best I could come up with.
Tape would have been a nice addition, and would have given paper a little more interest...
Oh well.

My first thought with the tape is first aid for the paper. So file is better in my mind.

strawberryicee


quality posts: 12 Private Messages strawberryicee
Spiritgreen wrote:
There's actually a PatrickSpens vibe to this. Quality.


chumpmagic wrote:It is a little too close for me. Pretty darn similar in style, color palette and even layout. It shouldn't get rejector or anything, but I have to point it out...


i agree. same faces and similar arms and legs with only slight modifications. if you asked me, i'd say that PatrickSpens made himself a separate account and modified his drawings ever so slightly to pass them off as another artist's drawing (don't know why he would do such a thing). either that or someone else is plagiarizing his work because this looks all too similar to the classic PatrickSpens style / coloring. just my thoughts.

yakimikku


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yakimikku
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


hahhaha very clever!!! :D

ApeLad


quality posts: 65 Private Messages ApeLad
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Very clever, and nice fire!

nblottie


quality posts: 11 Private Messages nblottie
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Composition wise, this is one of my favorites. Great work!

andrewdanger


quality posts: 0 Private Messages andrewdanger
strawberryicee wrote:i agree. same faces and similar arms and legs with only slight modifications. if you asked me, i'd say that PatrickSpens made himself a separate account and modified his drawings ever so slightly to pass them off as another artist's drawing (don't know why he would do such a thing). either that or someone else is plagiarizing his work because this looks all too similar to the classic PatrickSpens style / coloring. just my thoughts.


Just because there are similarities does not mean it's plagiarism. For instance, Don Hertzfeldt, the animator for the famous "Rejected" film has faces just like this design and PatrickSpens'.



This is a common face to draw.

Dragonfancy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dragonfancy
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Love it! Will buy if it prints- good luck!!

boportsmouth


quality posts: 0 Private Messages boportsmouth
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


I want this....

keyser520


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keyser520
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Awesome! I never would have thought of this, but love it.

I really like the fire on your flamethrower. Would you care to enlighten me as to your secret for that? =)

limonmix


quality posts: 0 Private Messages limonmix
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Nice characters and colors, I want this shirt immediately.

Adam7986


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Adam7986
Radscoolian wrote:Good idea! When I first doodled this out, fire vs paper and jack hammer vs rock were pretty easy, but whats the opposite of scissors? I wanted something that could be used as a weapon. I thought about wire, 'cause I ruined a lot of scissors growing up cutting wire and getting notches, but that seemed Sirius GPP.
A file was the best I could come up with.
Tape would have been a nice addition, and would have given paper a little more interest...
Oh well.


Don't get me wrong here, the design is still awesome, I just remember as a kid pranking my classmates by taping their scissors shut, even with cheap tape it is almost impossible to break through it. Well done.

superhoods


quality posts: 0 Private Messages superhoods
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


One of my favorites. Though I gotta ask, how'd you do those half tones? I'm still having trouble with them.

el3v3ns


quality posts: 0 Private Messages el3v3ns
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Very well thought out.

brendecko


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brendecko
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Fantastic artwork. Great colors. Very original. Good job, Radscoolian!

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
chumpmagic wrote:The problem is that it is not just the line work; it the colors, the shading, the layout... Patrick's style down to the bone. The bigger problem is it was sub here to woot. I know there is the innocent till proven guilty policy, but if this was intentional copied it is very shallow and disrespectful. Not only would it be stealing his style and hard work, it would be an attempt to steal fans and a "paycheck" as well whether this artist relies it or not. Not cool at all...

I agree this looks like patrickspens' work, but is style even copyrightable? I know "look and feel" wasn't. How can it be considered stealing even if radscoolian intentionally tried to copy someone else's style? (which I don't think he did)

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

chumpmagic


quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
j5 wrote:I agree this looks like patrickspens' work, but is style even copyrightable? I know "look and feel" wasn't. How can it be considered stealing even if radscoolian intentionally tried to copy someone else's style? (which I don't think he did)



It is unethical to most the art world. I really don't mean to be a jerk and I am not trying to get it rejected, but it's just too close to comfort for me not too question it. You are right, it may not be intentional, but if it is, it is a very wrong, even if copyright rules don't apply. It's just a lack of respect. I understand that people may think differently, so I will just stop here so I don't derail this thread more than I have already.

meatpopsicle333


quality posts: 0 Private Messages meatpopsicle333
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


I like the concept and it does look like Patricks works. I also wee a 7th color in the flames; does anyone else see it?

Radscoolian


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Thank you so much for all the kind words and support!
I've gotten a few requests to share how I created the fire effect with the flame thrower
So, I have made a post in the forum HERE

Also, there is a bit of controversy on whether or not I am a shameful plagiarist. If someone can think of a clever response to the whole issue, just send it to me and I'll pass it off as my idea.

Otherwise, I'll just let everyone else decide for themselves.

loge18


quality posts: 7 Private Messages loge18
Radscoolian wrote:Also, there is a bit of controversy on whether or not I am a shameful plagiarist. If someone can think of a clever response to the whole issue, just send it to me and I'll pass it off as my idea.


This made me laugh out loud. I love reading the comments about the shirts and especially seeing how the artists describe their work and respond to comments. I'm a fan of this shirt and of Rads not engaging in an internet argument. Agree to disagree and all that!

petitefilou


quality posts: 0 Private Messages petitefilou
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


I really like patrickpens stuff, and you know what? I can tell the difference between this and his work, easily, it would never have occured to me that people might have an issue. Relax y'all!

And well done

almsforoblivion


quality posts: 8 Private Messages almsforoblivion
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


I'm a little bit in love with this shirt. Well done, and thank you so much for the fire tutorial!

gwyn779


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwyn779
strawberryicee wrote:i agree. same faces and similar arms and legs with only slight modifications. if you asked me, i'd say that PatrickSpens made himself a separate account and modified his drawings ever so slightly to pass them off as another artist's drawing (don't know why he would do such a thing). either that or someone else is plagiarizing his work because this looks all too similar to the classic PatrickSpens style / coloring. just my thoughts.


The faces and arms/legs are very generic versions, so I don't think that's a valid factor...you can find plenty of other designs with those kind of faces and/or arms and legs. Overall, the design is much less polished than patrickspens' work (no offense to the artist, because I think it still looks great). And as for color palette, he was originally working on a Royal Blue template in the pre-derby thread, which was NOT a patrickspens kind of palette. I don't think it's similar enough to be considered plagiarism, I think it's someone trying to improve their style. Also, his first submission was in Derby #92 (woo, shirt.what!), so makes even less sense.

zachss514


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zachss514
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


good lord you are brilliant

b0kater1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages b0kater1
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


My pick to win. And I will have to pay attention this weekend too. I WANT this shirt.

Radscoolian


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Hey! Thanks, everybody! I really appreciate the kind comments and votes, and I'm glad to have struck a chord with people. Even without a win, I'm stoked to be up in the fog again.

sombrillo


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sombrillo
Radscoolian wrote:Hey! Thanks, everybody! I really appreciate the kind comments and votes, and I'm glad to have struck a chord with people. Even without a win, I'm stoked to be up in the fog again.


I'm stoked that you have been in the fog, and will be even more stoked if I get to buy your shirt!

sombrillo


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sombrillo
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Please win, please win, please win!!!!!

Radscoolian


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Radscoolian
sombrillo wrote:Please win, please win, please win!!!!!


Hmmm. Sombrillo, huh?
My guess is this is mom?

sombrillo


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sombrillo
Radscoolian wrote:Hmmm. Sombrillo, huh?
My guess is this is mom?


;)

vwclogan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwclogan

Congratulations! Finally a shirt that wins that is worth buying.

orchasm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages orchasm
Re: Scissors, Paper, Rock


Dig the design and the way you handle the critisism, props.


Mito-

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail

Whoa there buckaroo!

If you wanna vote, you need to first. Be sure to using an account with at least one purchase, otherwise you won't be able to participate. Sorry we called you buckaroo.