2nd Place in Derby #365: 10K, Round 3: Pop Culture Mash-Ups, with 300 votes!
Arm Yourself with these Fun Facts about Turtles & Tortoises!
- Soviets launched a tortoise into space on their Zond 5 probe. They did this because tortoises are actually native to the moon.
- Turtles are one of a number of species possessing a cloaca. That’s a Latin word meaning “fancy cape.”
- A baby turtle is called a "churtle."
- Sometimes they fall in love with footwear. Like. IN LOVE with footwear.
- Juvenile Western Painted turtles can live in a frozen state and thaw out just fine. Plus, they come in their own bowl, so it’s really handy.
- Canadian turtles don’t understand sarcasm.
- They're technically shellfish.
- Some species of aquatic turtles have the ability to absorb oxygen and insults through their skin.
- A group of turtles is called a “Snowden.”
- Turtles experience guilt. That’s why you shouldn’t ridicule them for mounting your footwear.
- Turtles lack vital spatial reasoning and cannot parallel park.
- The Leathery Turtle can weigh 1500 lbs. It is not uncommon for the Norse to use them as sofas.
Tell your friends!