Derby #37: Greed
+389

It's Ours Now

It's Ours Now
add a comment

Comments

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
Re: It's Ours Now

Astronauts replacing an alien flag already on the moon with their own.

Zenne


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zenne
Re: It's Ours Now


I thought the thumbnail looked familiar! Glad to see that you are entering this one.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: It's Ours Now


I love the colors and the style of the shadowing (as well as no one being able to say this isn't wearable)

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
AdderXYU wrote:I love the colors and the style of the shadowing (as well as no one being able to say this isn't wearable)


It isn't wearable.

Just kidding, but I wanted to show that I could still say it. =)

GMV. My only concern is that it might not be clear that they're removing the alien flag, though I can't think of any way to make it more obvious.

OH - second issue is that the moon landing WAS A HOAX.

;)

Edit - I didn't even realize this was Cho's. Sweet!

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: It's Ours Now

nice one.

jonomc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonomc
Re: It's Ours Now


i guess i dont have to say nicely done, as always, i'm impressed at how your subject captures the theme from some obscure (non-cliche) angle. i could use some of that obviously... any tips?
:j

Ledbetter63


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ledbetter63
jonomc wrote:i guess i dont have to say nicely done, as always, i'm impressed at how your subject captures the theme from some obscure (non-cliche) angle. i could use some of that obviously... any tips?
:j


Another nice one from Mr. Cho. However I agree that the Astronaut removing the flag isn't that obvious. Maybe have him walking in the opposite direction carrying it on his shoulder with a big divot in the ground where it used to be?

johnj07


quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnj07
Re: It's Ours Now


Just my 2 cents to those who say it doesnt look like they are taking the alien flag out, instead of having the flag a perfect rectangle make it partially umm down...like you know what i mean...more how an american flag looks on a calm non windy day, just make sure the alien head is still visible, then add a few more motion lines below the flag making it look like it is moving up...yah....or just draw a small up arrow next to/under the alien flag either way...thats my 2 cents.

Woot has become cruel and unusual punishment...

rglee129


quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: It's Ours Now


Boffo! Three bears and I has Cherries Too were also great. Your work is exquisite and professional, and has already influenced mine.


Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: It's Ours Now

Very nice James! I think it is perfect.
-Andy



KENPARS0NS


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KENPARS0NS
Re: It's Ours Now


sweet... I really like this idea and execution... great work...

BrIanPir


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrIanPir
Re: It's Ours Now


Very realistic looking. How is this about greed, tho? I'd vote for the art itself, but I need to understand the greed part first.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
johnj07 wrote:Just my 2 cents to those who say it doesnt look like they are taking the alien flag out, instead of having the flag a perfect rectangle make it partially umm down...like you know what i mean...more how an american flag looks on a calm non windy day, just make sure the alien head is still visible, then add a few more motion lines below the flag making it look like it is moving up...yah....or just draw a small up arrow next to/under the alien flag either way...thats my 2 cents.

fyi, johnj..... the flag that was planted on the moon had a rod to hold it up in a rectangle just like this, since they were not expecting any wind on the moon. Here is a close up from the flag left behind on Apollo 17

[img

sparklzk27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparklzk27
Great work as always!

mjc613 wrote:fyi, johnj..... the flag that was planted on the moon had a rod to hold it up in a rectangle just like this, since they were not expecting any wind on the moon.


interesting...learn something new everyday

mjl9320


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjl9320
BrIanPir wrote:Very realistic looking. How is this about greed, tho? I'd vote for the art itself, but I need to understand the greed part first.


It's not a pig clenching money, so I see where the confusion comes from. However, to answer your question- Planting a flag is somewhat synonymous with claiming land. This design illustrates Americans being greedy by claiming land that isn't really theirs. After all, it belongs to the aliens because they were there first, right?

BrIanPir


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BrIanPir
mjl9320 wrote:It's not a pig clenching money, so I see where the confusion comes from. However, to answer your question- Planting a flag is somewhat synonymous with claiming land. This design illustrates Americans being greedy by claiming land that isn't really theirs. After all, it belongs to the aliens because they were there first, right?


Exploration. Discovery. Adventure. All of those, yes. Greed, no. Especially after your explanation. Thanks.

I can't vote for this since it is off-topic. No one looking at this on a shirt would immediately think, "Greed! What a fantastic representation of greed!" l ol Besides, aliens are right up there with pirates and ninjas.

Now that you were so kind as to point out the pig hugging money, I've given my vote to that one instead. Voting helped clear that confusion right up. Any other art you'd like for me to not give my vote to?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
BrIanPir wrote:Exploration. Discovery. Adventure. All of those, yes. Greed, no. Especially after your explanation. Thanks.

I can't vote for this since it is off-topic. No one looking at this on a shirt would immediately think, "Greed! What a fantastic representation of greed!" l ol Besides, aliens are right up there with pirates and ninjas.

Now that you were so kind as to point out the pig hugging money, I've given my vote to that one instead. Voting helped clear that confusion right up. Any other art you'd like for me to not give my vote to?


I think it's a bonus that it isn't obviously greed. If you think about it though, it is. Sometimes it's nice to have a shirt that takes a little thought.

Then again, it was pretty much obvious to me how this was greed when I first looked at it...

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
Re: It's Ours Now


Only weighing in because I have a friend who's wanted this shirt for weeks:

http://www.bustedtees.com/finderskeepers


Check out my blog:Here!

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
derekfilley wrote:Only weighing in because I have a friend who's wanted this shirt for weeks:

http://www.bustedtees.com/finderskeepers

That's some nice detective work Lou. Or is it fine detective work?

peppersabaddog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog
derekfilley wrote:Only weighing in because I have a friend who's wanted this shirt for weeks:

http://www.bustedtees.com/finderskeepers




in the world of shirts that isn't even remotely close.
what planet did you claim for yourself that you think this is comparable?
wow i guess that means all those dragons should be disqualified since other people have put a dragon on a shirt before huh?

kriscad


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kriscad
Re: It's Ours Now


i love it!

great design!

Aullios


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aullios
kriscad wrote:i love it!

great design!


I work on a space base. I need this shirt to win

bumpass


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bumpass
Re: It's Ours Now


The government keeps a lot of things from us...

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
bumpass wrote:The government keeps a lot of things from us...


It's for your own good.....

TAYLORT5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages TAYLORT5
BrIanPir wrote:Exploration. Discovery. Adventure. All of those, yes. Greed, no. Especially after your explanation. Thanks.

I can't vote for this since it is off-topic. No one looking at this on a shirt would immediately think, "Greed! What a fantastic representation of greed!" l ol Besides, aliens are right up there with pirates and ninjas.

Now that you were so kind as to point out the pig hugging money, I've given my vote to that one instead. Voting helped clear that confusion right up. Any other art you'd like for me to not give my vote to?

l*o*l ..good one..
sorry cho.


You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Ok, I deleted it 3 times. Do you not get it? (24h) Personal attack/useless post.

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 20 hours and then try posting again.

Jambando


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jambando
BrIanPir wrote:Exploration. Discovery. Adventure. All of those, yes. Greed, no. Especially after your explanation. Thanks.

I can't vote for this since it is off-topic. No one looking at this on a shirt would immediately think, "Greed! What a fantastic representation of greed!" l ol Besides, aliens are right up there with pirates and ninjas.

Now that you were so kind as to point out the pig hugging money, I've given my vote to that one instead. Voting helped clear that confusion right up. Any other art you'd like for me to not give my vote to?

You're not very nice, are you?
I think its more important to be a good design than obviously about a topic. I dont buy shirts that portray a theme. I buy shirts that look good that portrayed a theme enough so that woot would print them, l o l
p.s. man, do I hate these woot filters!

smittycity42


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smittycity42
Re: It's Ours Now


Well, dont think we went to the moon for greed, but this shirt dosent really scream that so I love it! Eat it aliens!

aliencam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aliencam
peppersabaddog wrote:in the world of shirts that isn't even remotely close.
what planet did you claim for yourself that you think this is comparable?
wow i guess that means all those dragons should be disqualified since other people have put a dragon on a shirt before huh?


hey chill, he never said it should be disqualified. as far as i can tell he only said "lol cool my friend wants a similar shirt, if this one gets printed i might suggest it to him instead"

sayah


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sayah
derekfilley wrote:Only weighing in because I have a friend who's wanted this shirt for weeks:

http://www.bustedtees.com/finderskeepers


Dumb question...but why doesn't your friend go over to bustedtees and buy it?

derekfilley


quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekfilley
sayah wrote:Dumb question...but why doesn't your friend go over to bustedtees and buy it?


We're poor college kids. 18 bucks is mighty steep for a shirt round these parts.


Check out my blog:Here!

peppersagooddog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages peppersagooddog
aliencam wrote:hey chill, he never said it should be disqualified. as far as i can tell he only said "lol cool my friend wants a similar shirt, if this one gets printed i might suggest it to him instead"



i will be nice to you since not everyone is nice to the newer crowd.
that isnt what he was saying.
spend a little time reading the hate for a while before you pick a side dear.
if the name cho is on something you are forced to love it or hate it. period. because the brilliant folk in woot say so.
some things cho makes are great and some kinda suck, but NOBODY in here comments that way. get used to the way it works m'kay?

AtopMtOlympus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AtopMtOlympus
peppersagooddog wrote:i will be nice to you since not everyone is nice to the newer crowd.
that isnt what he was saying.
spend a little time reading the hate for a while before you pick a side dear.
if the name cho is on something you are forced to love it or hate it. period. because the brilliant folk in woot say so.
some things cho makes are great and some kinda suck, but NOBODY in here comments that way. get used to the way it works m'kay?


Seriously. Chill.

Your internet elitism is exhausting. Get over it.

However, if one were to play your game, one would point out that aliencam has been a member longer than you have. Just because we more-often-than-not prefer to remain silent doesn't mean we aren't paying attention. Bah!

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
AtopMtOlympus wrote:Seriously. Chill.

Your internet elitism is exhausting. Get over it.

However, if one were to play your game, one would point out that aliencam has been a member longer than you have. Just because we more-often-than-not prefer to remain silent doesn't mean we aren't paying attention. Bah!


bwahahaha!!!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail