Derby #38: The Year You Were Born
+67

1978 - The Year of the Horse

1978 - The Year of the Horse
add a comment

Comments

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: 1978 - The Year of the Horse


1978 was the year of the horse, so I made a bust piece of a horse with it's mane flying around wildly. The circles in the background are stars, and the 4 large ones signify a constellation in the sky in the autumn called 'Little Horse'. Enjoy everyone!

dekonstruct


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: 1978 - The Year of the Horse


This reminds me of the TV show Jem for some reason... not that I've ever watched it, it was on after transformers... seriously.

I like it though, GMV!

Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: 1978 - The Year of the Horse

Very nice colors on Black or Navy both.
-Andy



daedalusknight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
dekonstruct wrote:This reminds me of the TV show Jem for some reason... not that I've ever watched it, it was on after transformers... seriously.

I like it though, GMV!


You didn't watch it, but are you truly outrageous?

Truly, truly, truly outrageous? :-)

My sibs and I had to share a TV when we were kids, which meant Transformers and Jem both got played.

And yes, I'm old. :-)

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
dekonstruct wrote:This reminds me of the TV show Jem for some reason... not that I've ever watched it, it was on after transformers... seriously.

I like it though, GMV!


Thanks for the vote...

Had it been a real Jem reference at all, the hair would HAVE to be pink.

daedalusknight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
JadenKale wrote:Thanks for the vote...

Had it been a real Jem reference at all, the hair would HAVE to be pink.


I think this is nicely cosmic. Luckily not even close to My Little Pony territory. Plus it has flames, which make it go faster. :-)

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
daedalusknight wrote:I think this is nicely cosmic. Luckily not even close to My Little Pony territory. Plus it has flames, which make it go faster. :-)


yay!!!! I'm glad the flaming mane is getting much needed attention.

daedalusknight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
JadenKale wrote:yay!!!! I'm glad the flaming mane is getting much needed attention.



I actually made a design a long time ago that had (as one among many design elements) a horse with a flaming mane. It wasn't for a shirt, though, and I have no idea what I did with it...

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
daedalusknight wrote:I actually made a design a long time ago that had (as one among many design elements) a horse with a flaming mane. It wasn't for a shirt, though, and I have no idea what I did with it...


well I did sketch a whole horse originally for this piece, but I changed my mind after I sat here at the computer. 1, If I did the design like the sketch, it would have to be more like a Chinese ink drawing and I just couldn't get the piece to work properly. 2, I didn't feel like scanning my sketches this week. I've successfully filled an 80gig hard drive so I'm desperately in search of eliminating a ton of stuff from my computer just so I can have room for entries and other art projects.

daedalusknight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
JadenKale wrote:well I did sketch a whole horse originally for this piece, but I changed my mind after I sat here at the computer. 1, If I did the design like the sketch, it would have to be more like a Chinese ink drawing and I just couldn't get the piece to work properly. 2, I didn't feel like scanning my sketches this week. I've successfully filled an 80gig hard drive so I'm desperately in search of eliminating a ton of stuff from my computer just so I can have room for entries and other art projects.


Yeah, I know that feeling. I just went back and started cleaning out some old artwork... I can't beleive how many different versions of some images I saved. Plus I have a lot of them on paper in a file cabinet too!

Anyway, I love Chinese ink drawing... SUPER hard to pull off with anything but ink and paper... or maybe someone with illustrator who really knows how to design brushes.

renee1112


quality posts: 0 Private Messages renee1112

Woot!! Horse!! Anything horses has my vote.
And I am also a Horse in the Chinese Zodiac.


~R

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
renee1112 wrote:Woot!! Horse!! Anything horses has my vote.
And I am also a Horse in the Chinese Zodiac.


~R


Thanks renee! I appreciate the vote! I kinda also did this piece because a friend of mine loves horses. Unfortunately she's out of the country right now (she's in Canada scoping things out for possible relocation) and I don't think she got the message I sent her about my shirts being up to vote on.

When I was over at my parents' house, I saw a commercial that reminded me of the glow in the dark ink that woot recently used on the lightning bug t-shirt. It occurred to me, that this would look really cool with the large circles in glow ink to show off the constellation. (or all of the circles to just signify the stars)

m2mla2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages m2mla2
Re: 1978 - The Year of the Horse


Hi my mom took a pic of me in my littly nessie shirt. and i love all of your other shirts too.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
m2mla2 wrote:Hi my mom took a pic of me in my littly nessie shirt. and i love all of your other shirts too.


Aww!! Thanks so much! I really appreciate getting feedback on my Nessie as well as my other shirts too! I'm really glad you like them so well.

BigBroncosFan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigBroncosFan
Re: 1978 - The Year of the Horse


Yeah
Lets go Broncos!

I can't wait for football season. Nice entry - I'll buy 2!

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

BigBroncosFan wrote:Yeah
Lets go Broncos!

I can't wait for football season. Nice entry - I'll buy 2!

Yeah it's the Broncos Logo's girlfriend. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
superspryte wrote:Yeah it's the Broncos Logo's girlfriend. ^_~



I created it first before I saw this logo again. As it was, after I had somewhat finished my design, I asked if it would look better if it stayed on black (which I originally designed it on) or navy. It was then brought to my attention that if I put it on navy, it would drum up ideas that I tried to fashion it after the logo, which was never my intent. I worked with the idea a little longer and I submitted what you see here. But it was going to be a full horse to begin with. I changed it part way through and felt that it was better as the bust with the constellation behind it since the constellation is just the head of the horse.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail