Derby #50: Energy
+534

Earth's Energy

Earth's Energy
add a comment

Comments

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
Re: Earth's Energy


Thanks for the comments, I had to get rid of the gradient like you suggested, and make the adjustments for that.

adious muchachos!

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson

design detail:


Andy47240


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Andy47240
Re: Earth's Energy

Even without the gradient I love this design.



kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
krisrobinson wrote:design detail:


congrats. this is a winner.

Wonderbunny


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wonderbunny
krisrobinson wrote:Thanks for the comments, I had to get rid of the gradient like you suggested, and make the adjustments for that.

adious muchachos!


I think I like the lighter color in the back then the dark rays, it doesn't have the same effect any longer. (At least for me)

Irrelevant


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Irrelevant
Re: Earth's Energy


I like this design much more as it is now. I wouldn't have voted for it originally, now it's one of my favorites

AttilaTheMom


quality posts: 5 Private Messages AttilaTheMom
krisrobinson wrote:design detail:


Ooooooooooooooooh!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ whatever.

gravitybound


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gravitybound
Re: Earth's Energy



Beautiful design. Just gorgeous. GMV, and I hope it places

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: Earth's Energy

I love the browns in this. I would definitely wear this one. Good job on the detail of the roots and branches.


narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: Earth's Energy


just beautiful : )


Foo228


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Foo228
Re: Earth's Energy


My 3rd favorite in this derby..not a bad thing but it's questionable if it'll get a purchase (good job btw)

ubetteryoubet


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ubetteryoubet
Re: Earth's Energy


The illustration is gorgeous, but the tone on tone on tone looks a little... Old Navy tee to me. It's hard to get past the blah and really notice the work. Sorry.

BigZ7337


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigZ7337
Re: Earth's Energy


It's a beautiful design, but I'm just not sure the combination of colors would show the amazing detail when I would wear it.

TheNewOriginals


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheNewOriginals
Re: Earth's Energy


If you want to be technical-Earth actually runs on nuclear decay in its core and sunlight plus, various chemical reactions and physical changes but the whole magic tree-earth-moon thing works to-great design.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
TheNewOriginals wrote:If you want to be technical-Earth actually runs on nuclear decay in its core and sunlight plus, various chemical reactions and physical changes but the whole magic tree-earth-moon thing works to-great design.


Even so, I don't think "energy" is very clear here.

Also, the brown in the background will print awful. but hey, why would anyone bother thinking about whether a shirt will look good in real life before voting? Keep doin' what you're doin'... hope you love your horribly printed crapshoot... you voted!

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
AdderXYU wrote: why would anyone bother thinking about whether a shirt will look good in real life before voting? Keep doin' what you're doin'... hope you love your horribly printed crapshoot... you voted!


what is with you? you never have anything half-decent to say...

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
krisrobinson wrote:what is with you? you never have anything half-decent to say...


only when I have something half-decent to critique

lanpartyz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lanpartyz
Re: Earth's Energy


oooooooh this could be my next tattoo

suzyottomatic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzyottomatic
Re: Earth's Energy


Hope your not letting the A-Hole bother you. Congrats on fogging.

suzyottomatic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzyottomatic
Re: Earth's Energy


Hope your not letting the A-Hole bother you. Congrats on fogging.

casey7725


quality posts: 0 Private Messages casey7725
Re: Earth's Energy


this is a cool design and nice detail with the fish roots all

WonderWooter


quality posts: 6 Private Messages WonderWooter
krisrobinson wrote:what is with you? you never have anything half-decent to say...


I agree that adder has been getting more negative . . .probably his personality type. Used to his critique had palatable suggestions and constructive ideas, it def is getting more negative and into bashing.

It's a shame . . .

k, I'm over it. hee hee

I like this design, btw. Kind of "circle of life-y" feel

Don't be sexist. Broads hate that.

peppersabaddog


quality posts: 1 Private Messages peppersabaddog
Re: Earth's Energy





hey this would be a cool drawing if i were the liberal hippie type, kinda cool.

as i would be ashamed to even be thought of as a liberal in any way, however, i could never wear it.

good luck though... it should sell well here on woot.

ya2sabes


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ya2sabes
Re: Earth's Energy


I love this design b/c it's just that: a design. GMV.

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
AdderXYU wrote:only when I have something half-decent to critique


you guys should just give the guy some respect. haven't you seen his design blog? i mean, come ON.

ajitaw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajitaw
Re: Earth's Energy


Totall t sick!

DavidShenoda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
AdderXYU wrote:Even so, I don't think "energy" is very clear here.

Also, the brown in the background will print awful. but hey, why would anyone bother thinking about whether a shirt will look good in real life before voting? Keep doin' what you're doin'... hope you love your horribly printed crapshoot... you voted!


Adder is obviously upset over the fact that there are tons of "amateur" designs on Woot that outshine the kindergarten scratchings that he is trying to market to people on his blog and website. Your skill in creating something that is both beautiful and popular just makes him feel self-conscious about his blatant lack of talent and originality in t-shirt design.

Keep up the good work and don't let Adders bashing get to you. He hides behind his vocabulary, wordy grammar, and poor attempts at wit to confuse or dupe others into thinking he is good at something - Which appers to be being negative and writing crappy blogs and not making popular tshirts.

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
DavidShenoda wrote:Adder is obviously upset over the fact that there are tons of "amateur" designs on Woot that outshine the kindergarten scratchings that he is trying to market to people on his blog and website. Your skill in creating something that is both beautiful and popular just makes him feel self-conscious about his blatant lack of talent and originality in t-shirt design.

Keep up the good work and don't let Adders bashing get to you. He hides behind his vocabulary, wordy grammar, and poor attempts at wit to confuse or dupe others into thinking he is good at something - Which appers to be being negative and writing crappy blogs and not making popular tshirts.


*giggles*... hilarious.

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
krisrobinson wrote:*giggles*... hilarious.


>..<

yamunajivana


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yamunajivana
kdeuce wrote:>..<


hey, i said ha ha and woot turned it into a japanese school girl giggle... don't be hatin'.

Eastaer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eastaer
Re: Earth's Energy


Beautiful, reminds me of the Celtic tree of life.

GMV

36 Shirts and counting!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
DavidShenoda wrote:Adder is obviously upset over the fact that there are tons of "amateur" designs on Woot that outshine the kindergarten scratchings that he is trying to market to people on his blog and website. Your skill in creating something that is both beautiful and popular just makes him feel self-conscious about his blatant lack of talent and originality in t-shirt design.

Keep up the good work and don't let Adders bashing get to you. He hides behind his vocabulary, wordy grammar, and poor attempts at wit to confuse or dupe others into thinking he is good at something - Which appers to be being negative and writing crappy blogs and not making popular tshirts.


The difference between anything I've done and this shirt is that if my shirts printed, they would look bad based on my talent or lack thereof (and I would never deny I'm a total amateur). This will look bad because it was incredibly poorly done.

Look at other shirt sites that matter. There is more on threadless with a sloppy drawing style than there is with clip-art looking blocks and no meaning. There is more similarity to my work on Design By Humans than to this low-visibility, lower-concept dreck. Even Uneetee insists on real designs and not this. I am not speaking out of bitterness or trying to obfuscate the truth... I am working with what real people who are respected in the shirt business seem to think. Woot is voted for by a bunch of know-nothings who love computers, and a handful of people who have an eye for art (note an eye, not a hand) and a desire to see true art go rewarded. I hide behind nothing... the people who believe otherwise hide behind the votes as if that is a sign of quality. Think of something that was voted for and is the best... look at oscars and grammys. Look at politics even. It's rare for something to win based on relative merit. Woot is all the more proof. Other sites are smart enough to not trust numbskulls with the final results.

If my skill, or lack thereof, means anything, it means I'm able to be fearless about speaking my mind. Don't kid yourselves, most designers here shut their faces in public because they're afraid of losing the votes of the same tools who vote for carp like this in the first place. Don't think their silence means they approve... they're just more concerned about keeping a good reputation and some solid paychecks than speaking their minds. I have nothing to lose, and am happy to speak their minds for them.

Woot insults you guys for the idiocy you buy. Learn the facts. You might be the majority, but that doesn't make you right.

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
AdderXYU wrote:The difference between anything I've done and this shirt is that if my shirts printed, they would look bad based on my talent or lack thereof (and I would never deny I'm a total amateur). This will look bad because it was incredibly poorly done.

Look at other shirt sites that matter. There is more on threadless with a sloppy drawing style than there is with clip-art looking blocks and no meaning. There is more similarity to my work on Design By Humans than to this low-visibility, lower-concept dreck. Even Uneetee insists on real designs and not this. I am not speaking out of bitterness or trying to obfuscate the truth... I am working with what real people who are respected in the shirt business seem to think. Woot is voted for by a bunch of know-nothings who love computers, and a handful of people who have an eye for art (note an eye, not a hand) and a desire to see true art go rewarded. I hide behind nothing... the people who believe otherwise hide behind the votes as if that is a sign of quality. Think of something that was voted for and is the best... look at oscars and grammys. Look at politics even. It's rare for something to win based on relative merit. Woot is all the more proof. Other sites are smart enough to not trust numbskulls with the final results.

If my skill, or lack thereof, means anything, it means I'm able to be fearless about speaking my mind. Don't kid yourselves, most designers here shut their faces in public because they're afraid of losing the votes of the same tools who vote for carp like this in the first place. Don't think their silence means they approve... they're just more concerned about keeping a good reputation and some solid paychecks than speaking their minds. I have nothing to lose, and am happy to speak their minds for them.

Woot insults you guys for the idiocy you buy. Learn the facts. You might be the majority, but that doesn't make you right.



blah blah blah blah...

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

krisrobinson wrote:blah blah blah blah...


Play nice.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname


quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:Yeah, I forgot that you probably couldn't read. My bad


You too.


Don't make me stop this car!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

joelterrific


quality posts: 21 Private Messages joelterrific

Staff

Re: Earth's Energy


I would seriously encourage Krisrobinson to post a version of this shirt in this thread on the brown that Woot has supplied in the current template. The current version is not representative of the what the final print would end up. The Rejectorator looms.

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
joelterrific wrote:I would seriously encourage Krisrobinson to post a version of this shirt in this thread on the brown that Woot has supplied in the current template. The current version is not representative of the what the final print would end up. The Rejectorator looms.


I got the brown from the Artist Template.psd from the woot... if that's what you're asking. I used the shirt template from Cho or Jack...

caspianta


quality posts: 1 Private Messages caspianta
Re: Earth's Energy


i love this design. apparently cynicism is in these days, so i'll further express my love for this design by bashing other designs! while i think a LOT of the submissions on here are beautiful logos, illustrations, and comics, this entry is a T-SHIRT DESIGN. it'd be nice to see one of those get printed on a, surprise, T-SHIRT, every now and again.

p.s. don't let rainy-day Narcissists get you down.

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
joelterrific wrote:I would seriously encourage Krisrobinson to post a version of this shirt in this thread on the brown that Woot has supplied in the current template. The current version is not representative of the what the final print would end up. The Rejectorator looms.


here it is on the woot template...

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
krisrobinson wrote:I got the brown from the Artist Template.psd from the woot... if that's what you're asking. I used the shirt template from Cho or Jack...


I'm not sure what could have happened, but the colour in this comp isn't the same as the template. It's really darn close though:



Above are the browns, from the template and from the background of the comp. I couldn't see a difference at a glance, but the hex codes were different in Photoshop so I took a closer look. It's just barely noticeable on my monitor.

Unless the template has been updated recently without a new announcement, I am using the most current version.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
eHalcyon wrote:I'm not sure what could have happened, but the colour in this comp isn't the same as the template. It's really darn close though:



Above are the browns, from the template and from the background of the comp. I couldn't see a difference at a glance, but the hex codes were different in Photoshop so I took a closer look. It's just barely noticeable on my monitor.

Unless the template has been updated recently without a new announcement, I am using the most current version.


Maybe it happened in compression? I have posted a version on the woot template, hopefully to clear it up.

kdeuce


quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdeuce
eHalcyon wrote:




preposterous and totally unacceptable!

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Earth's Energy


I like it, but don't think it will print well.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
2thFairy wrote:I like it, but don't think it will print well.


I have reservations about that too. My "Patriot Wings" is now just a gray shirt - the design is completely gone after one or two wearing/washings.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
AdderXYU wrote:The difference between anything I've done and this shirt is that if my shirts printed, they would look bad based on my talent or lack thereof (and I would never deny I'm a total amateur). This will look bad because it was incredibly poorly done.

Look at other shirt sites that matter. There is more on threadless with a sloppy drawing style than there is with clip-art looking blocks and no meaning. There is more similarity to my work on Design By Humans than to this low-visibility, lower-concept dreck. Even Uneetee insists on real designs and not this. I am not speaking out of bitterness or trying to obfuscate the truth... I am working with what real people who are respected in the shirt business seem to think. Woot is voted for by a bunch of know-nothings who love computers, and a handful of people who have an eye for art (note an eye, not a hand) and a desire to see true art go rewarded. I hide behind nothing... the people who believe otherwise hide behind the votes as if that is a sign of quality. Think of something that was voted for and is the best... look at oscars and grammys. Look at politics even. It's rare for something to win based on relative merit. Woot is all the more proof. Other sites are smart enough to not trust numbskulls with the final results.

If my skill, or lack thereof, means anything, it means I'm able to be fearless about speaking my mind. Don't kid yourselves, most designers here shut their faces in public because they're afraid of losing the votes of the same tools who vote for carp like this in the first place. Don't think their silence means they approve... they're just more concerned about keeping a good reputation and some solid paychecks than speaking their minds. I have nothing to lose, and am happy to speak their minds for them.

Woot insults you guys for the idiocy you buy. Learn the facts. You might be the majority, but that doesn't make you right.


Normally I'm behind you Adder and I completely agree with you on this shirt. I do not think that this shirt will print well and I I am an un-original person to see energy in it. However, I fear that your dislike for such shirts has caused you to go on diatribes that cause animosity and not change. Just my two cents.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
kylemittskus wrote:Normally I'm behind you Adder and I completely agree with you on this shirt. I do not think that this shirt will print well and I I am an un-original person to see energy in it. However, I fear that your dislike for such shirts has caused you to go on diatribes that cause animosity and not change. Just my two cents.


Seeing as how dreck like this shirt has won so often, I don't think any path I'd take to vilify it would cause change. You'll note how many people defend the poor color choices, boring graphics and lack of theme in this thread. Wooters don't WANT change. They want the least challenging graphics available to them. Whether I took a gentle approach or a wrathful one, we'll still see these shirts, and we'll still see people vote for them despite it all.

The simple fact is, no matter how eloquently or gently I put it, it won't change. People want what they want, and hate being told they have no taste. I'd rather earn the animosity rather than have it come in for the truth. And I always speak the truth anyway.

ruthsdad


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruthsdad
AdderXYU wrote:Seeing as how dreck like this shirt has won so often, I don't think any path I'd take to vilify it would cause change. You'll note how many people defend the poor color choices, boring graphics and lack of theme in this thread. Wooters don't WANT change. They want the least challenging graphics available to them. Whether I took a gentle approach or a wrathful one, we'll still see these shirts, and we'll still see people vote for them despite it all.

The simple fact is, no matter how eloquently or gently I put it, it won't change. People want what they want, and hate being told they have no taste. I'd rather earn the animosity rather than have it come in for the truth. And I always speak the truth anyway.


Adder, if this site promotes and sells such dreck, why do you continue to come here? Usually, only trolls continue to come to Web sites that have content they hate, but I'm sure you're not a troll, right?

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
AdderXYU wrote:Look at other shirt sites that matter. There is more on threadless with a sloppy drawing style than there is with clip-art looking blocks and no meaning. There is more similarity to my work on Design By Humans than to this low-visibility, lower-concept dreck. Even Uneetee insists on real designs and not this. I am not speaking out of bitterness or trying to obfuscate the truth... I am working with what real people who are respected in the shirt business seem to think. Woot is voted for by a bunch of know-nothings who love computers, and a handful of people who have an eye for art (note an eye, not a hand) and a desire to see true art go rewarded. I hide behind nothing... the people who believe otherwise hide behind the votes as if that is a sign of quality. Think of something that was voted for and is the best... look at oscars and grammys. Look at politics even. It's rare for something to win based on relative merit. Woot is all the more proof. Other sites are smart enough to not trust numbskulls with the final results.


You seemed to have missed the point of the derby. There are certainly legitimate complaints about the type of shirts that get printed through the derby, but ultimately, the point of the derby is to print shirts customers want. If it doesn't happen to be the same as what you want, don't buy it and move on. There's the rest of the week to buy the commissioned shirts.

You are correct, there are a ton of other shirt sites that have different quality controls but ultimately you end up having to buy the stuff they think you should like. It's true for me and I would say probably a lot of others that the draw here is that you can get something you want to see. It won't always happen and the designs aren't always "high art" but it's a frakking t-shirt. I've not seen a single derby where I absolutely wanted all three shirts. I don't know that I've ever bought more than one from a derby and I've often seen my favorite shirts sit at 50 votes. That's the way it goes.

Sometimes there's a really clever shirt with great art that catches everyone's eye and that's great. But even the best artists here pander. If every design isn't the depth of wit and skill, go buy shirts at the other sites where you seem to have found so much quality. You've already said multiple weeks that your complaining does nothing so stop complaining.

curb1510


quality posts: 0 Private Messages curb1510
Re: Earth's Energy


ADDER: You refer to Woot designs as "this low-visibility, lower-concept dreck. " Why then are you seeking over 30 Woot designs in the Random Shirt Trade thread?

As for your other criticism that Woot followers aren't looking for change...when I suggested a change in the cut of the women's t-shirt you automatically assumed the sexist position that this had something to do with women showing off their "knockers" (your term!) just to enable them to yell at any man who looks at them.

All in all, you seem like you're content to be a contrarian strictly for its own ends. You contradict yourself, what with this healthy appetite for more Woot dreck; you contradict others' desire for change, making misguided and, somewhat, paranoid assumptions as to why that change may be desireable and finally you leave behind the contrarian's hallmark: you defend yourself and offer very (or increasingly) little constructive criticism about the work in question.

Maybe you need another outlet for the vitriol...have you considered therapy instead of Woot!

casey7725


quality posts: 0 Private Messages casey7725
Re: Earth's Energy


why wouldn't this shirt print well its doesn't look very complicated on a printing level

narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
casey7725 wrote:why wouldn't this shirt print well its doesn't look very complicated on a printing level


i think maybe the dark rays in the background and some of the thin lines for the birds and such. the same dark colors often get lost on the same background and sometimes the thin lines disappear after washings. two of my favorite t's had that problem. i'm not good at picking that stuff out. as some have mentioned, it could be a problem.


kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
narkus wrote:i think maybe the dark rays in the background and some of the thin lines for the birds and such. the same dark colors often get lost on the same background and sometimes the thin lines disappear after washings. two of my favorite t's had that problem. i'm not good at picking that stuff out. as some have mentioned, it could be a problem.


The other problem I see is the color on the color. Not only will the dark colors will get lost in the brown of the shirt, but I think (and I, of course, can't be sure) that even the brighter brown will lack the contrast that is displayed on our screens. From afar, the design will look like a large coffee stain on a brown shirt.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

dasmonkeyboy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasmonkeyboy
Re: Earth's Energy


I really like the design...

Seeing how much Adder hates it... it must be cool
GMV

Jack31081


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jack31081
casey7725 wrote:why wouldn't this shirt print well its doesn't look very complicated on a printing level


There have been problems at woot printing brown shirts that include 'subtle' aspects, such as a color that is close to that of the shirt itself.

Here are the issues I can see occuring with this particular design:

1) There is a subtle drop-shadow layer behind the light brown foreground. I guarantee that this effect will be lost in the printed shirt. Unless woot makes it black, it won't show up at all. The image on screen has a nice raised effect, but the shirt will look flat in comparison.

2) The rays behind the tree will suffer the same fate. The brown is WAY too close to the shirt color to show up at all in the finished design.

That's all I see being a problem. The printed design won't have the same impact that the preview does unless the colors are changed by woot. I don't think any of the small dots or birds or fish will be any problem at all. A number of designs in the past have proven that woot can print small details without any problem.

Now, Adder? What's goin' on, man? You're dragging this design through the mud because the guy made some poor color choices based on the wrong template? Is that really worthy of your wrath? And 'dreck'? The design itself is executed pretty well actually, regardless of how 'standard' it may be or how off-theme it is (and I agree that the theme isn't exactly expressed well). I mean, if you want to rant and rave about dreck, go over to MY design. I mean hell, at least this guy put a little effort into his design. I've always been the first to admit that I have no artistic skill at all, I just throw together what comes to mind and let the woot voting public have their say.

So, are you ranting against the voters for wanting to wear what you consider to be poor work, or are you ranting against the designers for submitting said work, thus allowing the voters to vote for it? Are we to think of more than ourselves when voting on a design, or are we to limit the voters' choices by only submitting designs that adhere to some undefined standard?

In either case, why stick around a site that angers you so? You're starting to come off a lot like unicornlover69 did back in the day. Not a good thing...

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Jack31081 wrote:You're starting to come off a lot like unicornlover69 did back in the day. Not a good thing...


Back in the day? Woot hasn't even been around long enough to have a "back in the day."

Jack31081


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jack31081
2thFairy wrote:Back in the day? Woot hasn't even been around long enough to have a "back in the day."


In internet time, 10 months is forever. There are a good number of folk that were around for the first 20 derbies or so that aren't here anymore.

Which reminds me, where in the hell is Pensketch? goelzjs? discodancing, samryan, annie22, duneboo, killopo, pyrin, derekfilley?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Jack31081 wrote:...
The printed design won't have the same impact that the preview does unless the colors are changed by woot.

...

Now, Adder? What's goin' on, man? You're dragging this design through the mud because the guy made some poor color choices based on the wrong template?


If it makes it to print, the colours may very well be changed. As you pointed out so well, the dark brown inks will most almost definitely be lost in the shirt colour, which is unfortunate.

The colour choices aren't based on the wrong template though. I posted a simple image above showing that the template colour is correct (even if it's a teensy bit off in hex code, the difference isn't noticeable). The problem is that the monitor doesn't always reflect how it'll look on a shirt. Using black on a brown template seems alright, but printed tees show that even that colour choice is questionable.


Jack31081 wrote:In internet time, 10 months is forever. There are a good number of folk that were around for the first 20 derbies or so that aren't here anymore.

Which reminds me, where in the hell is Pensketch? goelzjs? discodancing, samryan, annie22, duneboo, killopo, pyrin, derekfilley?


I know Mr. Filley is still around, although I don't think he's submitted anything recently.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

TheNewOriginals


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheNewOriginals
AdderXYU wrote:Even so, I don't think "energy" is very clear here.

Also, the brown in the background will print awful. but hey, why would anyone bother thinking about whether a shirt will look good in real life before voting? Keep doin' what you're doin'... hope you love your horribly printed crapshoot... you voted! lalalalalalalalalalalalal


I know nobody thinks about what the shirt will ACTUALLY look like most of this stuff is way to big and everyone is voting based on the artwork not on how the tee would look (if that makes sense) who would want to wear something huge that covers your whole shirt? But I digress.

TheNewOriginals


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheNewOriginals
AdderXYU wrote:The difference between anything I've done and this shirt is that if my shirts printed, they would look bad based on my talent or lack thereof (and I would never deny I'm a total amateur). This will look bad because it was incredibly poorly done.

Look at other shirt sites that matter. There is more on threadless with a sloppy drawing style than there is with clip-art looking blocks and no meaning. There is more similarity to my work on Design By Humans than to this low-visibility, lower-concept dreck. Even Uneetee insists on real designs and not this. I am not speaking out of bitterness or trying to obfuscate the truth... I am working with what real people who are respected in the shirt business seem to think. Woot is voted for by a bunch of know-nothings who love computers, and a handful of people who have an eye for art (note an eye, not a hand) and a desire to see true art go rewarded. I hide behind nothing... the people who believe otherwise hide behind the votes as if that is a sign of quality. Think of something that was voted for and is the best... look at oscars and grammys. Look at politics even. It's rare for something to win based on relative merit. Woot is all the more proof. Other sites are smart enough to not trust numbskulls with the final results.

If my skill, or lack thereof, means anything, it means I'm able to be fearless about speaking my mind. Don't kid yourselves, most designers here shut their faces in public because they're afraid of losing the votes of the same tools who vote for carp like this in the first place. Don't think their silence means they approve... they're just more concerned about keeping a good reputation and some solid paychecks than speaking their minds. I have nothing to lose, and am happy to speak their minds for them.

Woot insults you guys for the idiocy you buy. Learn the facts. You might be the majority, but that doesn't make you right. I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck I suck


Did you have to look up all your fancy schmancy words in a fancy schmancy thesaurus? If we're a bunch of know-nothings I guess we all don't deserve to use the web no less THE INTERNET. Plus like you said in my quote you suck and noone cares what you say because its always some bone you pick with "idiots using the Internet" or "politics" or "carp" or "humdiggity-do" or "blahblahblah" the thing is you've just been served and don't bother commenting about my use of made up words because some people like made up words.

linkszelda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages linkszelda

i like the design, but i think i'd like it better if the tree were slightly darker and didn't stand out that much. im kind of getting the natural energy vibe from it, but i'm not sure how well it comes across.

maybe not one i'd buy, but it's very beautiful nontheless.

tjflashman77


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjflashman77
TheNewOriginals wrote:Did you have to look up all your fancy schmancy words in a fancy schmancy thesaurus? If we're a bunch of know-nothings I guess we all don't deserve to use the web no less THE INTERNET. Plus like you said in my quote you suck and noone cares what you say because its always some bone you pick with "idiots using the Internet" or "politics" or "carp" or "humdiggity-do" or "blahblahblah" the thing is you've just been served and don't bother commenting about my use of made up words because some people like made up words.


Did you really say "you've just been served"?
Oh God, I hope there's gonna be dancing.

Greatest song ever written about JFK here. NSFW... or children... or anyone who's offended by the idea that JFK might have been a robot... fair warning.

echo91


quality posts: 0 Private Messages echo91
tjflashman77 wrote:Did you really say "you've just been served"?
Oh God, I hope there's gonna be dancing.


HA!!!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
TheNewOriginals wrote:Did you have to look up all your fancy schmancy words in a fancy schmancy thesaurus? If we're a bunch of know-nothings I guess we all don't deserve to use the web no less THE INTERNET. Plus like you said in my quote you suck and noone cares what you say because its always some bone you pick with "idiots using the Internet" or "politics" or "carp" or "humdiggity-do" or "blahblahblah" the thing is you've just been served and don't bother commenting about my use of made up words because some people like made up words.


While I may disagree with you, attacking someone based on his vernacular vocabulary is just puerile and makes you look like a, um... what is a non "fancy schmancy word, tool. Get a dictionary and educated yourself instead of vilifying one who is more intelligent than you.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

krisrobinson


quality posts: 2 Private Messages krisrobinson
Re: Earth's Energy


Who would have thought a design with a tree and a sun could cause so much bickering. I love the internet!

Mrfloyd5933


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mrfloyd5933
krisrobinson wrote:Who would have thought a design with a tree and a sun could cause so much bickering. I love the internet!


I think this is what that Rush song is about.

bobert414


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobert414
Re: Earth's Energy


sweet shirt GMV

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Mrfloyd5933 wrote:I think this is what that Rush song is about.


Not quite.

fairnymph


quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
Re: Earth's Energy


I absolutely love this design! It's beautiful and conveys such a peaceful, positive, holistic message.

However, I'm not a big fan of brown (nor do I find it to be a very 'energetic' colour even if soil is partially the source of plant-energy_)..but then I'd like it even less on say, yellow. But I think the grass green colour would be gorgeous - maybe brown (a bit darker of one than the current used for the main design) on grass green?

Designwise I have one quibble - the rays seem really messy and detract from the symmetry and rather detailed complexity of the overall design, and I'd rather just see them gone altogether. Did you include them so that they seem to be projecting this earth/life energy?

Anyway, flawed or not, I will almost certainly buy this if I have the opportunity so I hope it wins!

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

TheNewOriginals


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheNewOriginals
kylemittskus wrote:While I may disagree with you, attacking someone based on his vernacular vocabulary is just puerile and makes you look like a, um... what is a non "fancy schmancy word, tool. Get a dictionary and educated yourself instead of vilifying one who is more intelligent than you.


Lest you forget people are not intelligent or ignorant just because of their vocabulary or lack there of, likewise they are not intelligent based on their use of a thesaurus or on their ability to make themselves SOUND smart as I am now so doing. No, intelligence is based on one's ability to acquire and find use for knowledge that has been gained through past experiences. In conclusion, one's vocabulary is an inaccurate way to gauge one's intelligence-especially through text-not only because of my latter statements but because vocabulary can be used as one feels like it. If one wanted to sound intelligent, one would talk how I am now so doing instead of how I did in my previous comment. Finally, you just got served by, for all you know, an adult; a child; or even a 13-year old.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
TheNewOriginals wrote:Lest you forget people are not intelligent or ignorant just because of their vocabulary or lack there of, likewise they are not intelligent based on their use of a thesaurus or on their ability to make themselves SOUND smart as I am now so doing. No, intelligence is based on one's ability to acquire and find use for knowledge that has been gained through past experiences. In conclusion, one's vocabulary is an inaccurate way to gauge one's intelligence-especially through text-not only because of my latter statements but because vocabulary can be used as one feels like it. If one wanted to sound intelligent, one would talk how I am now so doing instead of how I did in my previous comment. Finally, you just got served by, for all you know, an adult; a child; or even a 13-year old.


I would think that using proper grammar and punctuation would be more important than being verbose or using sesquipedalians. Just because someone uses big words doesn't mean he had to grab a thesaurus. I expand my vocabulary by reading. Maybe some other people do too. I agree with you that Adder could stand to be more polite, but I really doubt he's using a thesaurus to sound smart.

I don't really care about minor grammatical errors and bad punctuation on the internet, but you really shouldn't tout your use of it in that last post as an example of "sounding intelligent." If you want to sound smart, be clear, be concise and don't abuse grammar and punctuation as you just did.

I wouldn't have said anything, but you were being rather rude yourself in your condemnation of Adder. I'm not a big fan of hypocrisy.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

lanpartyz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lanpartyz
Re: Earth's Energy


kris, check your woot private messages. I have a request of you......

jel2301


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jel2301
eHalcyon wrote:I would think that using proper grammar and punctuation would be more important than being verbose or using sesquipedalians. Just because someone uses big words doesn't mean he had to grab a thesaurus. I expand my vocabulary by reading. Maybe some other people do too. I agree with you that Adder could stand to be more polite, but I really doubt he's using a thesaurus to sound smart.

I don't really care about minor grammatical errors and bad punctuation on the internet, but you really shouldn't tout your use of it in that last post as an example of "sounding intelligent." If you want to sound smart, be clear, be concise and don't abuse grammar and punctuation as you just did.

I wouldn't have said anything, but you were being rather rude yourself in your condemnation of Adder. I'm not a big fan of hypocrisy.


eHalcyon, you frequently contribute awesome designs, you make a point to address and respond to every comment (positive or negative) in the threads for your designs, and you add valuable posts like this one to other threads. You are the epitome of a good Wooter. I commend you, sir.

shortbusgus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shortbusgus
Re: Earth's Energy


Beautiful design, provocative and detailed. Even if I don't purchase, and I'm not saying I won't, thanks for entering it, it's been a joy just to have a gander.

dzietlow


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dzietlow
Re: Earth's Energy


The design is amazing. It's a real shame about the colors though...they look good on here, but reading through all these comments has convinced me they wouldn't survive a washing machine. If Woot changes the colors a bit I'd buy one.

mrc131


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrc131
Re: Earth's Energy


bad ass. very nice. should have been first.
love the detail. fish to birds.

karma1apple


quality posts: 0 Private Messages karma1apple

Ooooh, I LOVE it! Hopehopehope it got third place, because I'm dying to wear it. =D

papermarq


quality posts: 0 Private Messages papermarq
Re: Earth's Energy


I'm really sad this design didn't make the cut, it's the only one of the four I was really crazy about. Sometimes woot can make me so happy, other times, so very sad. Thanks for getting my hopes up for an awesome shirt though.

Don't forget: With Lacuna, you CAN forget!

papermarq


quality posts: 0 Private Messages papermarq
ubetteryoubet wrote:The illustration is gorgeous, but the tone on tone on tone looks a little... Old Navy tee to me. It's hard to get past the blah and really notice the work. Sorry.


I like how subdued all the colors are, so earthy and introverted. I was really looking for a nice dark shirt that wasn't black, and this speaks to both that desire and my environmentalist side. After missing out on the Blogging Old CEO by a few minutes last night and now this shirt not placing, this has been a very depressing weekend.

Don't forget: With Lacuna, you CAN forget!

JKRoadman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JKRoadman
Re: Earth's Energy


I love the shirt! Wish it had been the one to show up this morning, rather than the windmill shirt. Oh well

Nice job!

NeuB


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NeuB
Re: Earth's Energy


This shirt was awesome! I wish it would've won one of the placing positions. Any chance the design will be used somewhere else? Or an honorable mention day with this shirt or something? Please lemme know if there is. I LOVE the design, great work, better luck next time.

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: Earth's Energy


Definitely need to put it on sale elsewhere once the copyright is void... I was so looking forward to buying one of these!

lanpartyz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lanpartyz
illuminator wrote:Definitely need to put it on sale elsewhere once the copyright is void... I was so looking forward to buying one of these!


I would love to get this psd file so I could modify it up for a large back piece tattoo. I'd change it up a bit for more detail as a tattoo but this would give me a good start. any chance you can hook me up? I sent you a pm with my email address....

lanpartyz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lanpartyz
lanpartyz wrote:I would love to get this psd file so I could modify it up for a large back piece tattoo. I'd change it up a bit for more detail as a tattoo but this would give me a good start. any chance you can hook me up? I sent you a pm with my email address....


http://shirt.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=2621788&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=7#post2623944

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail