Derby #69: Miniature Worlds
+109

You are a Universe

You are a Universe
add a comment

Comments

ricerocketeer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ricerocketeer
Re: You are a Universe


I'm surprised no one else thought of this.

tbrcelee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrcelee
Re: You are a Universe


Any suggestions for improvements?
This is my first submission and I'm afraid I'm not that great of an artist.
Any criticism will be appreciated (except flaming).

WWBD?

suemkz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suemkz
tbrcelee wrote:Any suggestions for improvements?
This is my first submission and I'm afraid I'm not that great of an artist.
Any criticism will be appreciated (except flaming).


How about a different shirt color? Or make the orbitals darker. But I am still voting For this one. Great idea.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: You are a Universe


It's a good idea. Not bad for your first entry. Something you might want to do for your future designs is to hand draw your designs. Maybe sketch them out and then scan them into photoshop to color them. That's where I'd start. If you keep practicing you'll eventually get better at the sketching and better at the coloring and when you've gotten used to that, you can start learning some more advanced tricks. If you decide to really work at it and want some more advice, feel free to send me a PM. I never mind helping. --because you asked for a critique


tbrcelee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrcelee
suemkz wrote:How about a different shirt color? Or make the orbitals darker. But I am still voting For this one. Great idea.


I was thinking perhaps plain white as the shirt color.
What do you think of the orbital/galaxy color? I thought I might change it to an orange-yellow.

WWBD?

tbrcelee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrcelee
BootsBoots wrote:It's a good idea. Not bad for your first entry. Something you might want to do for your future designs is to hand draw your designs. Maybe sketch them out and then scan them into photoshop to color them. That's where I'd start. If you keep practicing you'll eventually get better at the sketching and better at the coloring and when you've gotten used to that, you can start learning some more advanced tricks. If you decide to really work at it and want some more advice, feel free to send me a PM. I never mind helping. --because you asked for a critique


Thanks, Boots. Do you recommend using a graphics pad? I've never worked with one, but one of my friends has and he tells me that it's easier for him to work with than sketching and scanning.

What are some things I could improve with this design?

I'll be sure to ask for advice/help from you in the near future.

WWBD?

Kinuven


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kinuven
Re: You are a Universe


This is great for your first try - keep it up, you're sure to improve!

ximo88


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ximo88
Kinuven wrote:This is great for your first try - keep it up, you're sure to improve!


Should defenetly be on a different color shirt. I would say some darker shade of red or light shade of blue, (not dark or vivid blue, it looks bad with black)
Love the design tho

NonDescript


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonDescript
Re: You are a Universe


i hadnt noticed your shirt until i saw it in your signature for a comment you made in the 'controversial' thread. tbh, i think the whole ordeal is silly, but your shirt is awesome, and has my vote

tbrcelee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbrcelee
Re: You are a Universe


New submission:
http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24720
As always, I would appreciate critique

WWBD?

BootsBoots


quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
tbrcelee wrote:Thanks, Boots. Do you recommend using a graphics pad? I've never worked with one, but one of my friends has and he tells me that it's easier for him to work with than sketching and scanning.

What are some things I could improve with this design?

I'll be sure to ask for advice/help from you in the near future.


I use a wacom cintiq tablet. It lets you draw right on the screen and it's AMAZING (but expensive). I could never really get into using the other graphics pads. There was too much disconnect between my hand and the screen, if you know what I mean. But, I think if you can get used to it, that's the way to go.

Let's see... to improve on this design... I think the main problem with it is that it doesn't look very clean. I mean, the line edges aren't very smooth and it looks a little cut and paste-y. Unclean lines can work, I think, if you have that hand drawn look, but the style of this one seems to be very exact and obviously graphics-program-made. Does that make sense? I think it would be better if you went one way or the other way with it.

I still think it was a really good idea for a design, though.


crazyharry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazyharry
ricerocketeer wrote:I'm surprised no one else thought of this.


I thought about something similar but didn't have time to finish it. Wasn't executed nearly as well as this one though. That's ok, I'm just practicing at this point, maybe some day I'll have a design good enough to make the fog.

zalston


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zalston
Re: You are a Universe


I like it myself. The only thing I would change is the color of the shirt. Of course, I've always been fond of darker colors...

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail