Derby #106: Double-Take Derby 6
+525

Air

add a comment

Comments

SpastasticNomadic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpastasticNomadic
Re: Air


Still love the watercolour feel to this one. GMV, as always.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Air


This NEEDS to print! I haven't bought a woot shirt in what seems like ages, but I'd get this one.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: Air


This one definitely needs to print!

omnitarian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
Re: Air


An absolute must-print.

No more Double Takes without an Edgar print, ya hear me, Woot voters/editors?

itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
Re: Air


Not getting edgar's dinosaurs was tragic. I hope this one isn't too good to be true... there's too much time until next thursday for the casual, cute-voters to take this away. I hope I'm just being pessimistic.

cmdixon2


quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: Air


I like this one, but I would've preferred his dinosaur one, TBH.

I'd like to see a closeup of this without the over-sized shirt texture. I'm just curious to see how it would actually look printed. Because it's going to be like 80% halftones.

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987

I've been waiting for this double take derby in the hopes that I'd be able to get this shirt. Let's hope it stays in the fog this time.

elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
Re: Air


This design still doesn't grab me well as a *shirt*. Great execution, I just wouldn't want to wear it. Still, 'grats on fogging.

imsochady


quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady
Re: Air


I would like to purchase me an Edgar shirt sometime soon, if you guys would let me.

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Re: Air


I need me an edgar shirt!!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Re: Air


The dinosaur shirt was epic. I will, however, settle for this one.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

capedcrusader514


quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
Re: Air


This is pretty awesome but it look like way more than 6 colors but this is the double take so I assume it must be printable.

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
Re: Air


GMV. If it prints, it will be my very first white woot shirt. I hate white, but I like this design more.

bellarific


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellarific
Re: Air


I want this messiness on my chestesses, plz.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
capedcrusader514 wrote:This is pretty awesome but it look like way more than 6 colors but this is the double take so I assume it must be printable.


Yellow, orange, pink, 2 blues, gray.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Air


This one is too good to get away a second time.

Go, Edgar!

ratchangelam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ratchangelam

I need this shirt.

depward


quality posts: 6 Private Messages depward

Need it, want it, gotta have it.

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola

I really like the design, but I just think it would be a terrible t-shirt. Just my two cents. Either or, good luck to you.

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
mikenytola wrote:I really like the design, but I just think it would be a terrible t-shirt. Just my two cents. Either or, good luck to you.


"Terrible" is a bit strong, no?

I'd love to wear this, personally. It's beautiful and colorful, but not too complex either. It's the kind of shirt I'd like to see more often, like infinityloop's "Rain Dance".

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
jmmbell1987 wrote:"Terrible" is a bit strong, no?

I'd love to wear this, personally. It's beautiful and colorful, but not too complex either. It's the kind of shirt I'd like to see more often, like infinityloop's "Rain Dance".


Given the sort of work Mikey normally comments on/defends, having Edgar win a derby with a beautifully done and unique piece would be a huge threat.

theciscokiddd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theciscokiddd

I <3 edgar

narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: Air


please, oh please stay fogged!!!!!!!!!


laryxle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages laryxle
Re: Air


yes yes yes yes! I loved it the first time and I love it this time

Demonbuttercup


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Demonbuttercup
Re: Air


Yes! GMV

tiar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiar
Re: Air


Please win! GMV

I loved this the first time around. It's the perfect summer tee.

honzo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages honzo
Re: Air


This needs to get back in the fog.

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987

Ugh. Getting this to print isn't going to be as easy as I thought, is it?

mikenytola


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikenytola
AdderXYU wrote:Given the sort of work Mikey normally comments on/defends, having Edgar win a derby with a beautifully done and unique piece would be a huge threat.


You even like to whine like a baby even when I said I really like the design? lol A GREAT design does not always mean it will be a great shirt. Something your thick little head can't seem to grasp.

I think the design is very cool, just not something for a t-shirt. If you take that as in insult then that's your problem and idiocy.

*insert generic crying response by AdderXWhineZ to follow

Deflit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deflit
Re: Air


I usually don't like your work, (though all the regulars seem to be infatuated by all of it) but this one I really like. It must be the colors seeming to mix together and the sky. =D Good job. gmv.

wormsweater


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wormsweater
Re: Air


Yezz indeed. Vote that shnit up.

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987

Sadly, this and "Steamworks Operatica" seem hellbent on swapping places in the fog, which puts a major damper on the odds of both printing. :/

capedcrusader514


quality posts: 1 Private Messages capedcrusader514
kylemittskus wrote:Yellow, orange, pink, 2 blues, gray.


im seeing way more than that.

arwerther


quality posts: 0 Private Messages arwerther
Re: Air


Am I the only one who does not get the appeal of Edgar shirts? Of course, the water color technique in this won is done really well, but the style of the drawing is just strange. Oh well, to each their own.

schnauzergirl38

itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
kylemittskus wrote:Yellow, orange, pink, 2 blues, gray.


I think it was suggested last time that it was only orange and yellow for the sun, then two blues, gray, and then black (outlines). This seems to fit, but only allowing for the use of halftones beyond the abilities of a mere mortal.

I'm very glad this is still fogged, I hope it lasts (or Woot doesn't screw up the EC's).

omnitarian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages omnitarian
arwerther wrote:Am I the only one who does not get the appeal of Edgar shirts? Of course, the water color technique in this won is done really well, but the style of the drawing is just strange. Oh well, to each their own.


When I was brand, brand new to the shirt scene I didn't quite know what to make of Edgar either, but he very quickly became a favorite. It really is a matter of wabi-sabi... I don't think you have to be an art snob to appreciate the twee, childlike innocence Edgar is able to capture. Essentially it's because it's so different from everything else in the shirt world that makes it so incredibly charming.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
itoaseik wrote:I think it was suggested last time that it was only orange and yellow for the sun, then two blues, gray, and then black (outlines). This seems to fit, but only allowing for the use of halftones beyond the abilities of a mere mortal.

I'm very glad this is still fogged, I hope it lasts (or Woot doesn't screw up the EC's).


So is the pink-ish part an orange halftone? Or is the black the same dark blue as the darker halftones in the clouds?

I don't doubt that only six colours are used (I'm not always a fan of his pieces but Edgar definitely knows what he's doing). I'm curious as to which colours were actually used though. The watercolour effect is great.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
omnitarian wrote:When I was brand, brand new to the shirt scene I didn't quite know what to make of Edgar either, but he very quickly became a favorite. It really is a matter of wabi-sabi... I don't think you have to be an art snob to appreciate the twee, childlike innocence Edgar is able to capture. Essentially it's because it's so different from everything else in the shirt world that makes it so incredibly charming.


I've seen a whole lot of Edgar-ish stuff on Deviant Art so I guess it's completely lost it's charm for me. It seems odd that people would flock to the nonsensical types of designs so freely when there seems to be a raging debate continuously going on around here for what actually constitutes "good art" on a shirt. Ohhh you people here are rather fickle!

Proudfootzor


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Proudfootzor
Re: Air


How is this in the fog? This shirt is just weird. Why would you wear this?

endangeredomega


quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
arwerther wrote:Am I the only one who does not get the appeal of Edgar shirts? Of course, the water color technique in this won is done really well, but the style of the drawing is just strange. Oh well, to each their own.



For my personal tastes only, some of Edgar's designs are hit-or-miss. There have been a few that I just don't 'get' the widespread appeal of (ie: Fiction vs. Non-Fiction), but I absolutely *love* some of his not-quite-creepy, vaguely-twisted, almost-tragic-yet-undeniably-charming pieces.

Some of my all-time Edgar favourites include "Play musics for my eeears dum dum dum dum dum ", "Inspired By Gravity's Rainbow", "I'll be there Tomorrow", and my all-time absolute number one *favourite* design, "my pet deer".

Unfortunately, I'm usually in the minority, and the Edgar designs I like best never see print.

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
Proudfootzor wrote:How is this in the fog? This shirt is just weird. Why would you wear this?


It's colorful, whimsical, and beautiful design. It's simple on the eye as well.

Overall, it looks great and would make for a shirt I'd wear in a second.

bmckay


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmckay
binkdrop wrote:I've seen a whole lot of Edgar-ish stuff on Deviant Art so I guess it's completely lost it's charm for me. It seems odd that people would flock to the nonsensical types of designs so freely when there seems to be a raging debate continuously going on around here for what actually constitutes "good art" on a shirt. Ohhh you people here are rather fickle!



I feel the same about the "web 2.0" designs I see used.

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
bmckay wrote:I feel the same about the "web 2.0" designs I see used.


My comment was relevant to a shirt that is up for voting. I like some of his designs, but not all of them, and I've seen the style a lot. Your comment was just a low blow at me, which was a little unnecessary.

Please don't be rude. There's no point to it.

mjc613


quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Air


Edgar, this is beautiful.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
binkdrop wrote:My comment was relevant to a shirt that is up for voting. I like some of his designs, but not all of them, and I've seen the style a lot. Your comment was just a low blow at me, which was a little unnecessary.

Please don't be rude. There's no point to it.


To me, I think not loving all of edgar's work is exactly why I love edgar's work. Because when he hits, his mind is so complex and brilliant and creative, and his style can literally go anywhere, from simple lumpy characters to amazing linework, from sprawling works to basic chest pieces, from (often twisted) humor to pure artistry. And because he has so much to offer in general, even his pieces I haven't loved, whether because they were too cutesy, or too weird even for my tastes, or in a style that was sloppy without his normal charm, or whatever, still has something different, and very different, especially in the world of woot. You obviously see more Edgaresque work outside woot, and at other tee sites, but he still brings something personal to the table all the time, and that makes it worth seeing.

By comparison, many other designers bring the same nonsense every week, so that even when they step out of the box (not that they do often, or go very far out), it seems generic and uninteresting.

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
AdderXYU wrote:To me, I think not loving all of edgar's work is exactly why I love edgar's work. Because when he hits, his mind is so complex and brilliant and creative, and his style can literally go anywhere, from simple lumpy characters to amazing linework, from sprawling works to basic chest pieces, from (often twisted) humor to pure artistry. And because he has so much to offer in general, even his pieces I haven't loved, whether because they were too cutesy, or too weird even for my tastes, or in a style that was sloppy without his normal charm, or whatever, still has something different, and very different, especially in the world of woot. You obviously see more Edgaresque work outside woot, and at other tee sites, but he still brings something personal to the table all the time, and that makes it worth seeing.

By comparison, many other designers bring the same nonsense every week, so that even when they step out of the box (not that they do often, or go very far out), it seems generic and uninteresting.


I think you just have a man-crush, and that's that.

Besides, liking Edgar's work makes you a bit hypocritical. :O However, every artist needs support, so if you like his things then that's of course alright. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and preferences.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
binkdrop wrote:I think you just have a man-crush, and that's that.

Besides, liking Edgar's work makes you a bit hypocritical. :O However, every artist needs support, so if you like his things then that's of course alright. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and preferences.


Please explain that one. Because I've heard some insipidly stupid things before, but with no context, you might have just won.

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
AdderXYU wrote:Please explain that one. Because I've heard some insipidly stupid things before, but with no context, you might have just won.


It was a joke, Adder; get over yourself. It only makes you look foolish when you get your panties all in a twist, slinging insults back at people when what I said was meant in jest.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
binkdrop wrote:It was a joke, Adder; get over yourself. It only makes you look foolish when you get your panties all in a twist, slinging insults back at people when what I said was meant in jest.


"besides, liking Edgar's work makes you hypocritical" was a joke?

Man, people say -I- need a better sense of humour

Unless you meant the "man crush" part was a joke. In which case, I wonder how little credit you give me to think I didn't catch that, and still continue to wonder what the hell you meant by the other bit.

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
AdderXYU wrote:"besides, liking Edgar's work makes you hypocritical" was a joke?

Man, people say -I- need a better sense of humour

Unless you meant the "man crush" part was a joke. In which case, I wonder how little credit you give me to think I didn't catch that, and still continue to wonder what the hell you meant by the other bit.


You're so argumentative.

So, to clear things up, the first part about the man crush was a joke, which I'm glad to see you got. The second part too was poking fun at you rather than a full blown accusation, hence the ":O" face, but I'll go ahead and change that now to just "you're a hypocrite".

I just found it strange that after campaigning for so long about quality art, you took a liking to Edgar's style. I'm not saying he can't produce quality work, I was just saying that of all the people you choose to openly and fervently endorse, it struck me as odd that he would be the one.

The man-crush part was because your explanation of why you like his work didn't completely make sense to me. It just sounded like you are one of those people that thinks the crack addict on the street corner, spouting out warnings of the impending apocalypse, is "insightful", because he's saying something that no one else is, and is therefore "thinking outside the box".

As to your comment earlier, "Many other designers bring the same nonsense every week, so that even when they step out of the box (not that they do often, or go very far out), it seems generic and uninteresting..."

It probably seems generic and uninteresting to you because you don't give people a chance. You seem to think the worst of everyone right off the bat, especially if they're not within your little following of cult members you seem to have attached yourself to here on Woot.

I won't step down and stop challenging you and your thoughts just because you've been on this site a long time like some people do. I won't stop questioning you just because you're snarky and a jerk, and I won't stop pointing out when I think you're being a hypocrite.

I will, however, avoid having long and drawn out conversations with you about nothing; so unless you bring up a particularly interesting point that I think needs addressing, I'm pretty much done with this conversation here. We don't need to fill up this forum with stupid. (Yes, I did just use stupid as a noun.)

But go ahead, Adder. Bring it on, and be a jerk to me. It won't phase me, because I'm totally out to get you now. >:D

^ See that very last part was a joke. Maybe.

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
binkdrop wrote:I've seen a whole lot of Edgar-ish stuff on Deviant Art so I guess it's completely lost it's charm for me. It seems odd that people would flock to the nonsensical types of designs so freely when there seems to be a raging debate continuously going on around here for what actually constitutes "good art" on a shirt. Ohhh you people here are rather fickle!


I'm personally unfamiliar with most of his work. I just love this design to pieces and have been waiting for the double take derby every since this one didn't print last time.

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
jmmbell1987 wrote:I'm personally unfamiliar with most of his work. I just love this design to pieces and have been waiting for the double take derby every since this one didn't print last time.


I can understand that! : ) I'm glad then for both Edgar and you that his design is not only up in this derby, but doing well. You just might have an opportunity to get a shirt of his!

jasneko


quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
eHalcyon wrote:So is the pink-ish part an orange halftone? Or is the black the same dark blue as the darker halftones in the clouds?

I don't doubt that only six colours are used (I'm not always a fan of his pieces but Edgar definitely knows what he's doing). I'm curious as to which colours were actually used though. The watercolour effect is great.

I also keep coming back to this design and trying to figure that out. The texture of the shirt behind the shirt makes it also harder to see. I'm curious to how the water color effect was created with the color limits... would love to see a larger detail image to take a look!

Vote!


imsochady


quality posts: 26 Private Messages imsochady
Re: Air


Oooh, a raging war! My sleeves are all rolled up. Who's the Jets? Sharks? I'll go with the Sharks 'cuz of my slicked-back black hair. And of course Maria .

icymallard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Air


of COURSE, this shirt has my vote.

edgar makes derbies 4x better

IncurableHumanist


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IncurableHumanist
Re: Air


haha, i remember when this was bumped out of the fog the first time, i went completely nuts and wrote a curse filled rant. it was almost unintelligible once it went through the woot editor.

Deflit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deflit
arwerther wrote:Am I the only one who does not get the appeal of Edgar shirts? Of course, the water color technique in this won is done really well, but the style of the drawing is just strange. Oh well, to each their own.



No you're not the only one. =D

I don't like any of edgars shirts i've seen ever since september that I could remember off the top of my head. This is the only one I like. His style is so creepy haha.

sakleehop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sakleehop
endangeredomega wrote:For my personal tastes only, some of Edgar's designs are hit-or-miss. There have been a few that I just don't 'get' the widespread appeal of (ie: Fiction vs. Non-Fiction), but I absolutely *love* some of his not-quite-creepy, vaguely-twisted, almost-tragic-yet-undeniably-charming pieces.

Some of my all-time Edgar favourites include "Play musics for my eeears dum dum dum dum dum ", "Inspired By Gravity's Rainbow", "I'll be there Tomorrow", and my all-time absolute number one *favourite* design, "my pet deer".

Unfortunately, I'm usually in the minority, and the Edgar designs I like best never see print.


Hello. I too loved Play musics for my eeaars dum dum dum dum and wanted that shirt badly. Of course it was overlooked in the Music derby and the following double take derby. I wished Edgar would have it printed elsewhere but alas, he has not chosen to do so, yet. Perhaps he will - if you read this post Edgar, please have it printed and let us know where and when. Thanks.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
binkdrop wrote:You're so argumentative.

So, to clear things up, the first part about the man crush was a joke, which I'm glad to see you got. The second part too was poking fun at you rather than a full blown accusation, hence the ":O" face, but I'll go ahead and change that now to just "you're a hypocrite".

I just found it strange that after campaigning for so long about quality art, you took a liking to Edgar's style. I'm not saying he can't produce quality work, I was just saying that of all the people you choose to openly and fervently endorse, it struck me as odd that he would be the one.

The man-crush part was because your explanation of why you like his work didn't completely make sense to me. It just sounded like you are one of those people that thinks the crack addict on the street corner, spouting out warnings of the impending apocalypse, is "insightful", because he's saying something that no one else is, and is therefore "thinking outside the box".

As to your comment earlier, "Many other designers bring the same nonsense every week, so that even when they step out of the box (not that they do often, or go very far out), it seems generic and uninteresting..."

It probably seems generic and uninteresting to you because you don't give people a chance. You seem to think the worst of everyone right off the bat, especially if they're not within your little following of cult members you seem to have attached yourself to here on Woot.

I won't step down and stop challenging you and your thoughts just because you've been on this site a long time like some people do. I won't stop questioning you just because you're snarky and a jerk, and I won't stop pointing out when I think you're being a hypocrite.

I will, however, avoid having long and drawn out conversations with you about nothing; so unless you bring up a particularly interesting point that I think needs addressing, I'm pretty much done with this conversation here. We don't need to fill up this forum with stupid. (Yes, I did just use stupid as a noun.)

But go ahead, Adder. Bring it on, and be a jerk to me. It won't phase me, because I'm totally out to get you now. >:D

^ See that very last part was a joke. Maybe.


I believe you will find that a vast majority of people most apt to post a well thought out and cogent commentary on anything in the derby will also be staunch Edgar supporters. Often moreso than I. Also, most of the best designers at this site are in his corner. Why? Because he has a gift for creativity. He's not the raving loony on the street, as you so ineloquently put it, but he's able to channel things from some wonderfully offbeat places. He has a charm that few artists, especially at woot, can muster, a distinctive style, and is able to make designs that are absolutely touching, whimsically imaginative, or totally out there. So somehow, I am being a hypocrite because I praise the most creative regular entrant in the derby. And I really don't think that title is much of a hyperbole.

But don't worry. Edgar never wins, because people would MUCH rather have something blitheringly and blisteringly simple and generic on a tee. So you really don't have to understand. And you certainly don't have to frame your argument in terms that explain anything.

alboneus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alboneus
Proudfootzor wrote:How is this in the fog? This shirt is just weird. Why would you wear this?


My sentiments exactly. Thank you for not making me feel like I'm the only one who thinks this design has "SPIDERS! GET THEM OFF!." written all over it.

No offense to edgar, ofc. Not familiar with his work, but this specific design, is not my cup of tea at all & the fact that it's in the fog just boggles my mind.

Before free market economy, we eat potato each night for dinner. Now we have much money. We eat two potato each night for dinner. And on happy days, we eat salted pork from can.

gijose


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose
alboneus wrote:My sentiments exactly. Thank you for not making me feel like I'm the only one who thinks this design has "SPIDERS! GET THEM OFF!." written all over it.

No offense to edgar, ofc. Not familiar with his work, but this specific design, is not my cup of tea at all & the fact that it's in the fog just boggles my mind.


to be honest i'd prefer this as a print to a T-Shirt, but that doesn't change the fact that it's amazingly creative and a great design regardless, I'd buy it if it printed.

NYC!

theghotiman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theghotiman
Re: Air


If this shirt doesn't print, I may lose all the faith I have left in Woot. There are several good shirts in this derby, but this is head and shoulders above the rest. Please print. Please.

kdubbs29


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
alboneus wrote:My sentiments exactly. Thank you for not making me feel like I'm the only one who thinks this design has "SPIDERS! GET THEM OFF!." written all over it.

No offense to edgar, ofc. Not familiar with his work, but this specific design, is not my cup of tea at all & the fact that it's in the fog just boggles my mind.


Edgar really isn't my cup of tea, but that is my personal preference more so than a critical remark on his style. In my opinion his work would be suited really well for children's books as opposed to t-shirts that adults might wear. I could see children wearing his art much more easily than I can picture most adults.

LonChaney


quality posts: 1 Private Messages LonChaney
Re: Air


Why oh why is this straying further from the fog? Woe is me. I do so love the sleepy, wittle cloud people. And white shirts. grrrrr rrrrr *looking for inflatable, over-sized mallet to knock squishy, pink brains into the people who no wanna vote for this* Please, oh please vote for the happy little clouds!

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987
alboneus wrote:Not familiar with his work, but this specific design, is not my cup of tea at all & the fact that it's in the fog just boggles my mind.


You don't like it. A lot of other people do. That's why it was in the fog. It's not boggling at all.

Sorry to jump on your comment, but I've never liked the "I don't like it, so why is it popular?" argument.

Anyways, this doesn't look like it's gonna print, so I'm hanging my hat on "Steamworks Operatica" now, though I'd consider purchasing "Some BBQ" and "I am become death" as well.

The Tim


quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim
Re: Air

Argh! I have given up all hope of Woot voters ever respecting the genius that is edgarrmcherly. Why oh why must this continue to drop in the rankings?

WHY?!?

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
The Tim wrote:Argh! I have given up all hope of Woot voters ever respecting the genius that is edgarrmcherly. Why oh why must this continue to drop in the rankings?

WHY?!?


Read the thread. People cannot appreciate genius. NEEDS MOAR EZ 2 UNDURSTANDZ

The Tim


quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim
AdderXYU wrote:Read the thread. People cannot appreciate genius. NEEDS MOAR EZ 2 UNDURSTANDZ

I have read the thread (well, most of it anyway). It was a rhetorical question.

The Woot-ing majority has spoken (over and over), and they obviously don't have the same taste in attire that I do. Oh well I guess.

I still wish Edgar would print grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr somewhere else, but alas, no sign of it yet.

KIDA26


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KIDA26
The Tim wrote:Argh! I have given up all hope of Woot voters ever respecting the genius that is edgarrmcherly. Why oh why must this continue to drop in the rankings?

WHY?!?


I don't think I would call this genius... but I would much rather see this up in the fog instead of that bird dance shirt. I don't get that shirt at all. It's just not wearable. And while I wouldn't wear this shirt either, I do find it more pleasing to the eye than some others.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
binkdrop wrote:It was a joke, Adder; get over yourself. It only makes you look foolish when you get your panties all in a twist, slinging insults back at people when what I said was meant in jest.


Bink,

I've been pretty apathetic towards you, neither liking nor disliking you personally (from what you post, of course).Your work is not my style whatsoever, but that is not important. I, however, am no longer apathetic towards you, and I think that you are being intentionally insulting for no apparent reason. Like Adder, I didn't take the second statement about hypocrisy as a joke. The first one, I did. I happen to agree with most of Adder's comments, even if I don't agree with his methodology. Perhaps he shouldn't insult people, but he does so for a specific purpose beyond being an ass.

On a side note, please post a link of some other designs that remind you of Edgar's work. To say that there is art like his is tautological. Obviously, there will be art similar styles of other art. The difference between Edgar and these designs that you are saying are like Edgar's, and the other hackneyed shirts that Adder was talking about is that Edgar's shirts are instantly recognizable as his. Why? Because he adds things that make the shirts original. Do I like all of his shirts? No. Do I respect every shirt he submits? Yes. Why? Because every single shirt of his is unique. He uses different styles (like this watercolor style) and I think he does very, very well at matching style with theme. The shirts that tend to win most of the time lack that originality. For example, the same g*d damn bunnies showing up in space and on people's shoulders. Teefury does a lot of animals and skulls. Shirt.woot does a lot of cute. Edgar does a lot of, if nothing else, interesting ideas that are always well executed.

To summarize myself because I can be verbose, please post links to these artists like Edgar because I would be very happy to enjoy more like him. And in the mean time, don't judge Edgar's body of work on the shirts you have seen in less than two months; that's just narrow-sighted and makes you look foolish.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

depward


quality posts: 6 Private Messages depward

This NEEDS to fog - come on meow!

chade2001


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
kylemittskus wrote:Bink,

And in the mean time, don't judge Edgar's body of work on the shirts you have seen in less than two months. That's just narrow-sighted and makes you look foolish.



Kylemittkus,

A design should not be judged because of the artist nor because of his/her past work. It should be judged because of its sheer awesomeness at any given derby.

What if one day, an artist with a huge following (because of awesome works of the past) turns in a not so great design? Of course, people will still vote for it because of the artist and because of his/her past designs. And I think that's seriously messed up.

To me, I could care less what the artists have designed in the past because they tend to get better (or worse). All I have to look at is what they have now in front of me. So the opposite of what you said is true, a person who judge a current work by the artist's name and his/her past work is the "short-sighted and foolish" one.

Edgar's work is something I always look forward to because it's a complete standout, not just from his past work, but from the derby as well.

gone!

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
kylemittskus wrote:Bink,

I've been pretty apathetic towards you, neither liking nor disliking you personally (from what you post, of course).Your work is not my style whatsoever, but that is not important. I, however, am no longer apathetic towards you, and I think that you are being intentionally insulting for no apparent reason. Like Adder, I didn't take the second statement about hypocrisy as a joke. The first one, I did. I happen to agree with most of Adder's comments, even if I don't agree with his methodology. Perhaps he shouldn't insult people, but he does so for a specific purpose beyond being an ass.


I'll second this comment. Bink, I actually do quite like the way you present yourself in the forums. Most of the time you're very nice, helpful and courteous. But it seems to me like you just wanted to provoke Adder over a rather innocuous comment. And while your initial response may have been in jest, the bulk of it really didn't appear that way.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chade2001 wrote: To me, I could care less what the artists have designed in the past because they tend to get better (or worse). All I have to look at is what they have now in front of me. So the opposite of what you said is true, a person who judge a current work by the artist and his/her past work is the "short-sighted and foolish" one.


Agreed. I was responding to Bink's statement that there were many artists with a style similar to Edgar's. My point was that I don't think she has been around long enough to judge what Edgar's style is, thus making her statement narrow-sighted due to her lack of prolonged exposure (that sounds pejorative, but I shall keep it because it sounds medical, making it completely random in the context).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chade2001


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
kylemittskus wrote:Agreed. I was responding to Bink's statement that there were many artists with a style similar to Edgar's. My point was that I don't think she has been around long enough to judge what Edgar's style is, thus making her statement narrow-sighted due to her lack of prolonged exposure (that sounds pejorative, but I shall keep it because it sounds medical, making it completely random in the context).


Aha!

Case closed!

gone!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
chade2001 wrote:Aha!

Case closed!


And well argued, reasoned, and discussed by both parties. Cheers!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
chade2001 wrote:Kylemittkus,

A design should not be judged because of the artist nor because of his/her past work. It should be judged because of its sheer awesomeness at any given derby.

...

Edgar's work is something I always look forward to because it's a complete standout, not just from his past work, but from the derby as well.


Thought you might be interested to see that side by side.

I don't care for the Mona Lisa, but I understand why people do, and would be offended for the late mr. davinci if someone ever said "man, kdeuce, your splatters are as evocative and mysterious as the mona lisa".

Sometimes, you appreciate work for what it is regardless of whether it is for you. I rarely want a Drakxxx shirt, but i sure as hell can appreciate his linework and detail. What is happening here is simply people stating "I cannot grasp what this is, because it is not an internet meme or a familiar style. It must be horrible."

chade2001


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
AdderXYU wrote:Thought you might be interested to see that side by side.


It is interesting. It's like I'm waiting for him to submit a not so great design.

gone!

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop

kylemittskus,

I understand your concerns, and I had a feeling that my words could be misinterpreted, as forum conversations are so difficult to have. So, to hopefully provide a clearer understanding of my points of view, I'll tell you these things:

I have absolutely nothing against Edgar or his work. If people like it, that's great! I like some of his pieces too! ...just not all that I've seen. I respect him as an artist just as I try to respect everyone else that enters their creations in these derbies. I have just seen a lot of work somewhat similar to his style, but that surely doesn't mean that other people aren't allowed to like it, even if they too have seen similar styles. (Also, I would send you links but I don't currently watch any of those artists on deviant art. Most of what I've seen is in casual browsing or by referral or similar instances.)

Everything I said really had nothing to do with Edgar at all. It was all about Adder, and I was merely surprised that someone who critiques designs so harshly (regarding technical execution, creativity, clear concept, placement, humor, whatever it may be) would fancy work similar to Edgar's. Now, what I said just there is not a negative comment toward Edgar, I just mean that his work sometimes is difficult to decipher regarding meaning, or it is sketchily or more abstractly done. Sometimes it can too come off as a more childish and whimsical style, a subject of which Adder has many times spoken negatively, as he seems to just despise childish designs.

SOooooo having said all that, I hope you can understand that "Edgar" could have been replaced in any or all of my posts with any other artist with a similar style, as I was merely using his work as a comparison to further explain my hypocrisy comment. I think if you knew me beyond these forums you'd probably get what I was saying a little bit better, and you'd know that I'm really one of those people that prefers to support other artists when it comes to their work rather than beat them down. I think I came across as just totally bashing Edgar, but that wasn't what I meant at all. Edgar, if you're reading this - I'm so sorry for coming across that way.

As for Adder though, his personality and how he chooses to convey himself bothers me a bit, and that's what I was mainly addressing. While I don't like the way he speaks, I would never make fun of his art, nor would I bash him down either for creating something if he enjoys doing it.

If you still are concerned or confused or anything, please tell me. I'd much rather straighten this up, explain myself, and hear how you feel about all of this rather than let it go on and have us all feeling animosity toward each other. Feel free to send me a private message or post here, whatever will work best.

binkdrop


quality posts: 8 Private Messages binkdrop
eHalcyon wrote:I'll second this comment. Bink, I actually do quite like the way you present yourself in the forums. Most of the time you're very nice, helpful and courteous. But it seems to me like you just wanted to provoke Adder over a rather innocuous comment. And while your initial response may have been in jest, the bulk of it really didn't appear that way.


Well yes the first part was a joke, and the second as I explained was poking fun at Adder, of course trying to provoke him, because that's what he does non-stop to everyone else. I was just throwing back at him what he does so often, and many times with people as aggressive and negative as he, I enjoy challenging them. However, I don't understand why everyone is acting so oddly to my comment that I think Adder is somewhat hypocritical at times. People have said much worse things to him, and rarely does anyone stop them and say "hey now - that's a little insulting". People rarely stop Adder either, when he slings insults and chooses such harsh words, so why now are a few of you all trying to sensor me?

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
binkdrop wrote:However, I don't understand why everyone is acting so oddly to my comment that I think Adder is somewhat hypocritical at times. People have said much worse things to him, and rarely does anyone stop them and say "hey now - that's a little insulting". People rarely stop Adder either, when he slings insults and chooses such harsh words, so why now are a few of you all trying to sensor me?


Here's why, at least for me. First of all, like I said, I may not approve of Adder's methodology. However, I strongly agree with his purpose. His insults, caustic critiques, and scathing words are for a specific and intended purpose. I think, although I would not speak for him, that Adder REALLY cares about the shirt world. His blog is very well done and he says things out of care. Again, I think he desires shirt.woot and I do too. The DBH and Threadless stuff is often times pretty damn awesome, but rather expensive. If we could get that quality at woot, total win. So, the difference I see between Adder's insults at others and your insults at Adder is that his has a purpose while yours was merely selfish and obstinate.

The hypocrite comment is offensive for the same reason. If nothing else, Adder is consistent. I have seen him call out TGentry (an artist he, along with me and many others, greatly appreciate), and I know he has called out other artists he has at other times praised, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. In my opinion, that is laudable and the exact opposite of hypocrisy. My intent is not to defend Adder as much as it is to defend the proverbial "necessary evil." Someone needs to call shirt.woot out (and other sites) when they do stupid stuff, and that voice needs to be educated in what they are talking about. If nothing else, Adder is educated in the world of shirt art. I also happen to think that a lot of times, he is able to deconstruct bad arguments which is something I enjoy doing too, so that's fun for me. Someone needs to call people out and they are never liked, but are often times -- although certainly not always -- correct.

On another note, I was rather surprised to see the comments come from you. You seemed to me to be emerging as an eHalcyon (yeah, I'm going to call your ass out!) kind of poster. He maintains balance between people like Adder and sometimes myself. I am not anywhere near as knowledgeable about this world as Adder is, but I somehow find myself getting probation rather often anyway. eHal may not always agree with Adder and he may not always agree with the people who post against Adder saying completely pointless things, but he is never insulting and always responds maturely, much like you did last week I think when someone made some stupid ass comment to me.

Again, loquaciousness abounds. Nevertheless, there you have it.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
binkdrop wrote:Well yes the first part was a joke, and the second as I explained was poking fun at Adder, of course trying to provoke him, because that's what he does non-stop to everyone else. I was just throwing back at him what he does so often, and many times with people as aggressive and negative as he, I enjoy challenging them. However, I don't understand why everyone is acting so oddly to my comment that I think Adder is somewhat hypocritical at times. People have said much worse things to him, and rarely does anyone stop them and say "hey now - that's a little insulting". People rarely stop Adder either, when he slings insults and chooses such harsh words, so why now are a few of you all trying to sensor me?


No one is trying to censor you, they are just disagreeing, because you claimed that Adder was being hypocritical without any explanation. Although you have now given an explanation, I don't consider you any less wrong than before. You believe he is hypocritical for supporting edgar's work when you have seen him bash designs that you consider similar to edgar's. However, your initial accusation of hypocrisy was in direct response to a post of Adder's explaining exactly what he feels differentiates edgar's work.

You then go on to call him argumentative, when it was actually you trying to provoke him, as you admit. You claim it is not worth "having long and drawn out conversations with [him] about nothing" in the first long-winded post of this page. You accuse him of slinging insults and dare him to be a jerk to you, right after accusing him of having a "man-crush" and getting his "panties all in a twist."

Is Adder the nicest guy on the forum? Hell no. But for hypocritical, you might want to read your own posts.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
binkdrop wrote:Well yes the first part was a joke, and the second as I explained was poking fun at Adder, of course trying to provoke him, because that's what he does non-stop to everyone else. I was just throwing back at him what he does so often, and many times with people as aggressive and negative as he, I enjoy challenging them. However, I don't understand why everyone is acting so oddly to my comment that I think Adder is somewhat hypocritical at times. People have said much worse things to him, and rarely does anyone stop them and say "hey now - that's a little insulting". People rarely stop Adder either, when he slings insults and chooses such harsh words, so why now are a few of you all trying to sensor me?


Ha, I refer you to the thread for Ramy's most recent print. I think it starts around the last two pages.

I wasn't trying to censor you; I was merely remarking that the particular comment by Adder that you responded to seemed quite innocent, especially compared to some of the other stuff he's posted. If you want to make a comment about those things he says, it would be more effective to reply to one of those instead of one where he was just praising Edgar. Hopefully you can see why that seemed a bit out of the blue!

kylemittskus wrote:On another note, I was rather surprised to see the comments come from you. You seemed to me to be emerging as an eHalcyon (yeah, I'm going to call your ass out!) kind of poster. He maintains balance between people like Adder and sometimes myself. I am not anywhere near as knowledgeable about this world as Adder is, but I somehow find myself getting probation rather often anyway. eHal may not always agree with Adder and he may not always agree with the people who post against Adder saying completely pointless things, but he is never insulting and always responds maturely, much like you did last week I think when someone made some stupid ass comment to me.

Again, loquaciousness abounds. Nevertheless, there you have it.


I feel all warm and tingly inside now, sir Mittskus.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
eHalcyon wrote:So is the pink-ish part an orange halftone? Or is the black the same dark blue as the darker halftones in the clouds?

I don't doubt that only six colours are used (I'm not always a fan of his pieces but Edgar definitely knows what he's doing). I'm curious as to which colours were actually used though. The watercolour effect is great.


I'm pretty sure that the pink-ish color around the sun is indeed an orange halftone. At first I thought that the gray/dark-blue of the clouds might be the same as the outlines (since it seems like it might have been a good way to conserve colors), but the outlines appear to be just plain black. I think.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
eHalcyon wrote:I feel all warm and tingly inside now, sir Mittskus.


Shut up and get back to moderating!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
itoaseik wrote:I'm pretty sure that the pink-ish color around the sun is indeed an orange halftone. At first I thought that the gray/dark-blue of the clouds might be the same as the outlines (since it seems like it might have been a good way to conserve colors), but the outlines appear to be just plain black. I think.


I see gray, although maybe not the same one as the clouds.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bmckay


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmckay
binkdrop wrote:
Everything I said really had nothing to do with Edgar at all. It was all about Adder, and I was merely surprised that someone who critiques designs so harshly (regarding technical execution, creativity, clear concept, placement, humor, whatever it may be) would fancy work similar to Edgar's. Now, what I said just there is not a negative comment toward Edgar


BS. It is hurtful towards Edgar. It is exactly why I said my web 2.0 statement. I didn't even use your name, I stated a generalized taste, but you took offense and saw it as a personal attack against your work.

You say right up there that Edgar's style isn't worthy of high artistic praise because its childlike and hard to understand. You use his name directly, it's demeaning, and your comments were not only directed towards adder.

itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
kylemittskus wrote:
...Adder REALLY cares about the shirt world. His blog is very well done and he says things out of care...

Again, loquaciousness abounds.


Phew, long post alright, though mine wasn't much shorter. But what's this about Adder having a blog? I read more than I post, and this is the first I've heard about such a thing.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
itoaseik wrote:Phew, long post alright, though mine wasn't much shorter. But what's this about Adder having a blog? I read more than I post, and this is the first I've heard about such a thing.


Singularitee - it's a blog highlighting some of the best designs on various shirt sites. Check Adder's signature for a convenient link. His comments there are quite insightful.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bmckay wrote:BS. It is hurtful towards Edgar. It is exactly why I said my web 2.0 statement. I didn't even use your name, I stated a generalized taste, but you took offense and saw it as a personal attack against your work.

You say right up there that Edgar's style isn't worthy of high artistic praise because its childlike and hard to understand. You use his name directly, it's demeaning, and your comments were not only directed towards adder.


I have to agree.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
eHalcyon wrote:Singularitee - it's a blog highlighting some of the best designs on various shirt sites. Check Adder's signature for a convenient link. His comments there are quite insightful.


Ah, thanks. I tend not to notice signatures. Some cool shirts on there.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
Re: Air


I am quite irritated that this is sitting in 6th place. Please vote for this one, woot purchasers!

tiar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiar
artulo wrote:I am quite irritated that this is sitting in 6th place. Please vote for this one, woot purchasers!


I agree. My heart is getting broken a second time. I'm not really an Edgar fan I just really feel an attachment to this particular piece.

depward


quality posts: 6 Private Messages depward

Ugh... this design rocks so dang hard, it HURTS that it isn't in the fog Voted for it the first time around, was happy to see it in the Double-Take Derby, but dang...

Demonbuttercup


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Demonbuttercup
Re: Air


NOOOOOOO!!!!! aaahhhhhh
Why did this fall so far since the last time I checked
I REALLY want this shirt!!!!!
I wanted this shirt and the Red dwarf one!
;_;

narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
binkdrop wrote:My comment was relevant to a shirt that is up for voting. I like some of his designs, but not all of them, and I've seen the style a lot. Your comment was just a low blow at me, which was a little unnecessary.

Please don't be rude. There's no point to it.


you're the hypocrite. "please don't be rude" ?

adder and omnitarian gave excellent reasons many of us love edgar's designs.

no need to comment further since adder and kyle already expressed my thoughts.

shame on you, "Your Rudeness."


narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: Air


i'm so disappointed this has fallen out of the fog yet again : (

please, oh please print for EC if this doesn't return.


WeezTheJuice


quality posts: 0 Private Messages WeezTheJuice
Re: Air

I hope this gets printed, not only for the fact that it is darn good, but I just need to see how this is going to print with halftones. If this doesn't make it as an editor's choice, I'd say them not wanting to attempt to print it would be the biggest reason.

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Air


Yes, I am a hardcore diehard Edgar groupie. I want to own every Edgar that is printed. I check every derby hoping to get another Edgar. It looks like it won't happen for this week... again.

Bink--shut up. You spent a lot of time in this thread showing your butt and it is time to move on.

The Tim


quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim
Re: Air

*sigh*

Another disappointing derby for Edgar fans.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail