Derby #171: Meat
+440

Baconoctopus

Baconoctopus
add a comment

Comments

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop

I did this as a pencil sketch earlier on in the year for our dear Miss Jadenkale. I ended up liking it enough to make a shirt design out of it. I don't really have a deep explanation for it other than it is simply two great things. Mmmmmmm.


Spiritgreen


quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Baconoctopus


I bet if you wore this shirt and said it with enough conviction, you could convince 47% of shoppers this is where bacon actually comes from.

Brilliantly weird. Weirdly tasty lookin'. ^_^

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Baconoctopus


Bacon = meat candy

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

lkackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
Re: Baconoctopus


I WANT, both as a shirt and as a tasty food item.

NOM NOM NOM! Octo-Bacon!

sailormoontsu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sailormoontsu
Re: Baconoctopus


Sweet! So glad you subbed this. Hope I get to buy it!

Blog Vote! Visit my Spreadshirt Shop.

JRWorkshop


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JRWorkshop

this reminds me the redneck seafood picture very cool


Hammylink


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
Re: Baconoctopus


drool :L

______________________________________________

SailorButterfly


quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly
Re: Baconoctopus


Mmm...I want bacon now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

sTyLeS


quality posts: 9 Private Messages sTyLeS
Re: Baconoctopus


There's just something about this one that I like and keeps drawing me back to it. Sure, it's bacony. But I think maybe it's the fact that it's still alive and it's staring at me.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
theinfinityloop wrote:I did this as a pencil sketch earlier on in the year for our dear Miss Jadenkale. I ended up liking it enough to make a shirt design out of it. I don't really have a deep explanation for it other than it is simply two great things. Mmmmmmm.


You guys are weird.



(Nice design)


bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Baconoctopus


This is really awesome and just the kind of messed up nonsense type shirt that I LOVE to wear. Bacon and Octopus have such amazing synergy!!

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
theinfinityloop wrote:I did this as a pencil sketch earlier on in the year for our dear Miss Jadenkale. I ended up liking it enough to make a shirt design out of it. I don't really have a deep explanation for it other than it is simply two great things. Mmmmmmm.

Thatsa me!!! :D Thank you for subbing this to the derby!!! I can't wait to wear this!

ejfarraro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ejfarraro

I NEED this shirt! Upboat for you good sir!

shellsandoval


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shellsandoval
Re: Baconoctopus


If only calamari tasted like bacon, I would eat it!

bjanele


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjanele
Re: Baconoctopus


There is something quite mesmerizing about this design. Bravo.

CityVelo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages CityVelo
Re: Baconoctopus


This is the type of entry that I wish was more prevalent with derbies. It is on topic, however, it is completely a stand alone design. It's unique, odd, solid within itself, and is conceptually appealing/amusing.

Good luck with the derby.

ulala321


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ulala321

The octopus in this design is perfectly out of place, the design works very nicely. GMV.

timjoestan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages timjoestan
Re: Baconoctopus


I will purchasing this shirt, if the Derby gods allow it to be so. Great sub!

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
It warms my heart that you guys are appreciating the ridiculousness of this. <3

sTyLeS wrote:There's just something about this one that I like and keeps drawing me back to it. Sure, it's bacony. But I think maybe it's the fact that it's still alive and it's staring at me.

Yeah, he's defiant about our attempt to eat him.

BootsBoots wrote:You guys are weird.

*satisfied grin*

shellsandoval wrote:If only calamari tasted like bacon, I would eat it!

This calamari I had, though not bacon-y, was good. Plus there was something satisfying about eating a tiny octopus. (Look closely at the tentacles!)


kinzoku


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
Re: Baconoctopus


Very sad to see this drop out of the fog. It was the only fogged entry I'd consider buying and the only one I voted for.

Heh, let me share a comment my friend made when I showed it to him: "Oh god I find this unsettling. It's being burned alive but it is indifferent."

kevlar51


quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51

that's insane that this is out of the fog.

kelmar13


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kelmar13

Some awesome shirts this time around!

Panda bacon

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
kinzoku wrote:Heh, let me share a comment my friend made when I showed it to him: "Oh god I find this unsettling. It's being burned alive but it is indifferent."

I wonder if it's just as unsettling that I absolutely love that interpretation, lol. Awesome comment!


stardamsel


quality posts: 5 Private Messages stardamsel
kinzoku wrote:"Oh god I find this unsettling. It's being burned alive but it is indifferent."


That about sums it up. Great design :-D

piggofdoom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages piggofdoom
Re: Baconoctopus


This is completely awesome.

nakeddoode


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nakeddoode
theinfinityloop wrote:I did this as a pencil sketch earlier on in the year for our dear Miss Jadenkale. I ended up liking it enough to make a shirt design out of it. I don't really have a deep explanation for it other than it is simply two great things. Mmmmmmm.


What is the obsession with bacon? I don't get it but am aware of the incredible number of items available to do with bacon LOL i'm english so i'm obviously missing the joke!
Why bacon? and not lamb or chicken? ha ha..?

makena29


quality posts: 0 Private Messages makena29
American streaky bacon is far superior to English floppy bacon. (Really, floppy bacon with about 2% meat is nasty.) I was sorely disappointed when I lived in England and couldn't get decent, crispy, crunchy, crackley bacon. (Mmm, SO good.) And besides, you people eat tomatoes and baked beans for breakfast, so you have no room for complaint.


nakeddoode wrote:What is the obsession with bacon? I don't get it but am aware of the incredible number of items available to do with bacon LOL i'm english so i'm obviously missing the joke!
Why bacon? and not lamb or chicken? ha ha..?

Hammylink


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hammylink
makena29 wrote:American streaky bacon is far superior to English floppy bacon. (Really, floppy bacon with about 2% meat is nasty.) I was sorely disappointed when I lived in England and couldn't get decent, crispy, crunchy, crackley bacon. (Mmm, SO good.) And besides, you people eat tomatoes and baked beans for breakfast, so you have no room for complaint.


It's all a matter of proper cooking. Even pork bellies can be thoroughly crispy if done right.

______________________________________________

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
makena29 wrote:American streaky bacon is far superior to English floppy bacon. (Really, floppy bacon with about 2% meat is nasty.) I was sorely disappointed when I lived in England and couldn't get decent, crispy, crunchy, crackley bacon. (Mmm, SO good.) And besides, you people eat tomatoes and baked beans for breakfast, so you have no room for complaint.


I've noticed that about English cooking, they do tend to like fattier cuts of meat (and what is the deal with tomotoes and beans for breakfast?) I peel my bacon if it's too fatty (I'm in the minority I know) unless it does have a nice crisp to it.

Good job in this Infinity. I really like that you did all the little sizzle bubbles in the pan showing the hotness of the skillet. The only thing I can't quite get over though is the Octo's head/body. It looks like he got pimped out with a flame job, I know that's probably not what you meant but I can't unsee it

tjost


quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Hammylink wrote:It's all a matter of proper cooking. Even pork bellies can be thoroughly crispy if done right.


American bacon is pork bellies though. I watched a thing on the science channel and it showed them cutting it. I think the grossest part was when they shave off the nipples of the belly before the start slicing it into strips :P

flamespear


quality posts: 4 Private Messages flamespear
Re: Baconoctopus


design is epin gmv

jxchen


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jxchen
tjost wrote:The only thing I can't quite get over though is the Octo's head/body. It looks like he got pimped out with a flame job, I know that's probably not what you meant but I can't unsee it


I have to agree here. I like this image quite a lot, but the flame-like pattern on the head is strange.

BootsBoots


quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
jxchen wrote:I have to agree here. I like this image quite a lot, but the flame-like pattern on the head is strange.


That's the strangest thing about this design? ;)


paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
tjost wrote: I think the grossest part was when they shave off the nipples of the belly before the start slicing it into strips :P


Wow, and they don't even save them as some kindof Andrew Zimmern delicacy?
Definitely gross.

bpwillia


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bpwillia
Re: Baconoctopus


it's nanerpus meets atkin's diet

makena29


quality posts: 0 Private Messages makena29

How is this not in the top 9???? I've been keeping my fingers crossed for a baconoctopus shirt for the last week and I'm going to be crushed if I can't get one.

kinzoku


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
Re: Baconoctopus


It would be a crime for this not to get an HM. I hope you get a second chance!

kc6201


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kc6201
Re: Baconoctopus


This is such an odd derby. I'm not really the type of person to wear "meat designs." I've only looked at a few entries today starting at around 11:50am, so wasn't able to contribute votes to many. I think this would be my favorite of what I've looked through. I like it, yet it still kind of grosses me out.

djsmurphy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages djsmurphy
makena29 wrote:How is this not in the top 9???? I've been keeping my fingers crossed for a baconoctopus shirt for the last week and I'm going to be crushed if I can't get one.


I couldn't agree more. I'm sooo bummed it didn't make the cut. If it prints anywhere else I need it! Badly!!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail