Derby #190: Magic
+1033

magic lamp

magic lamp
add a comment

Comments

jlegos


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlegos
Re: magic lamp


I had lots of fun coming up with this design. Thanks for the support, and thanks to ramyb on this design too!

awcoburn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages awcoburn

bluejester


quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester
Re: magic lamp


Alright, I laughed. Like the blue shimmer and the whole concept is easily understood and funny.

GMV

TonyGreyfox


quality posts: 3 Private Messages TonyGreyfox
Re: magic lamp


Hah! Not what I'd expected from the thumbnail. Nice one!

MathUhhhSaurus


quality posts: 59 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus
Re: magic lamp


yeeeeeeees! :D I love this!

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

pariastagard


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pariastagard
Re: magic lamp


Please vote for this shirt because I laughed out loud and want it greatly! If you have no idea what this is referencing, check out lolcats, and specifically it references such images as this: http://cheezburger.com/cheezmonster/lolz/View/3258849280. It's super hilarious, and I love it! Kudos JLEGOS!!!

anamatics


quality posts: 0 Private Messages anamatics
Re: magic lamp


This is fantastic! I would buy this shirt in a heartbeat!

phantompeanut


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phantompeanut
Re: magic lamp


Oh my gosh I laughed so hard, and it's not just a one-time wear either, it's actually a very succinct and aesthetically pleasing design and color choice as well.

zizzyb123


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zizzyb123
Re: magic lamp

I love this shirt, this is the only time i wish i weren't a dog person.

jmmbell1987


quality posts: 78 Private Messages jmmbell1987

Honestly, I think this would've been a lot funnier with a normal, humanoid genie. The cat genie is just overdoing the... catness? I dunno. I guess I'm just up to my gills in cat and rabbit-based designs this derby.

Just my $1/50th. Take it as you will, no malice intended.

morbidgray


quality posts: 0 Private Messages morbidgray
Re: magic lamp


I love it!

megsck


quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: magic lamp


i dont really like meme shirts because i usually dont get them, but thanks to woots internet meme derby i now know about lol cats. even still i find this very nicely done, i really like the genie...makes me want to go watch aladin...

+1

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: magic lamp


Yeah, sweet design. Particularly great colors and lighting.

I generally shy away from meme shirts because they're so transient, but I think we now have to accept the cheezburgr lolcat as a fundamental, but hopefully not defining, product of 21st century culture. ;) It will be forever.

Also it's cute.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
jmmbell1987 wrote:Honestly, I think this would've been a lot funnier with a normal, humanoid genie. The cat genie is just overdoing the... catness? I dunno. I guess I'm just up to my gills in cat and rabbit-based designs this derby.

Just my $1/50th. Take it as you will, no malice intended.


I'm going to have to agree. With the genie as a human it is much more of a non-sequitor as it paints a picture where it is unlikely the cat has any way to express its desire for a cheeseburger to the genie and the genie has no idea what the cat wants or even who rubbed the lamp.

With the genie a cat, it loses a great deal of subtlety and impact especially because there's no reason the genie should be a cat. I'm sure ramy will be a great resource for half-tones, shine and cramming the same cute animals into every design, but if you really want to improve, pay attention to the other designers here. Concept and execution is by far ramy's weakest area.

dreiarmumig


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreiarmumig
jmmbell1987 wrote:Honestly, I think this would've been a lot funnier with a normal, humanoid genie. The cat genie is just overdoing the... catness? I dunno. I guess I'm just up to my gills in cat and rabbit-based designs this derby.

Just my $1/50th. Take it as you will, no malice intended.


Agreed. Still like the shirt but with the genie being a normal one I'd like it a lot more.

thumperchick


quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick
Re: magic lamp


GMV - I can wear this when the hubs wears "Sabertooth Kitteh Can Haz Cheeseburger".

derkis


quality posts: 1 Private Messages derkis
Re: magic lamp


Cute animals, memes...cop out! Sad part is this will probably print.

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
Re: magic lamp


MHO, why on earth would a cat look to a humanoid genie??
This works, and the halftones are decent - not excellent, but really good representation of vaopr. Good job - and nice concept!

mirumeiku


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mirumeiku
jmmbell1987 wrote:Honestly, I think this would've been a lot funnier with a normal, humanoid genie. The cat genie is just overdoing the... catness? I dunno. I guess I'm just up to my gills in cat and rabbit-based designs this derby.

Just my $1/50th. Take it as you will, no malice intended.


I agree with this as well, and I actually do like the overall concept.

Also, I'd suggest looking more carefully at references. When a cat's sitting down, the bottom of its tail hits the floor; it's not slightly above it. Just a little thing that bugged me. I have two cats and see their backs/butts all the time, so it's hard for me not to notice that.

be10der2me


quality posts: 0 Private Messages be10der2me
Re: magic lamp


LOVE! One question, if he wishes for a triple burger does that still count as one wish?

derkis


quality posts: 1 Private Messages derkis
paigeg wrote:MHO, why on earth would a cat look to a humanoid genie??
This works, and the halftones are decent - not excellent, but really good representation of vaopr. Good job - and nice concept!


Because genies and lamps are human creations, not cat ones.

It's also far more clever to have a human genie perplexed by the fact that he has been stirred by a cute kitten who just wants a cheeseburger (ugh), than a cat genie looking sternly at his feline master. Why is he stern? Does he not understand how to communicate with other cats, was he unfamiliar with how magic lamp bonds work?

No, more likely the author was just dialing-in the fact that people think cats are cute and putting more cats in your design raises the probability of printing.

heartflux


quality posts: 5 Private Messages heartflux
Re: magic lamp


I can haz ICanHas awesomeness? In for one if it prints.

I woot, therefore I am.

DianaSprinkle


quality posts: 112 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
Re: magic lamp


I don't think it needs to be human. I like the idea of the cat genie because it's a cat talking to a cat. Genies are actually demons after all they aren't human. Honestly I'm not sure I'd want to wear a human genie, it would depend on how it was drawn but I really like the way the cat genie is done here(it's my favorite part).

It is an interesting discussion though. Just throwing out my thoughts on it.

nellb123


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nellb123
Re: magic lamp


Off With Their Heads >>>~~~>
picky, picky, picky......geez ! this shirt is perfect just the way it is, and so is the cat's tail, (I have 15 cats, 5 inside & 10 outside and they are all different). Make your
own genie design if you don't this one with the 2 cats.

nell-on-wheels

Johndis5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5
nellb123 wrote:Off With Their Heads >>>~~~>
picky, picky, picky......geez ! this shirt is perfect just the way it is, and so is the cat's tail, (I have 15 cats, 5 inside & 10 outside and they are all different). Make your
own genie design if you don't this one with the 2 cats.


The cat lady has spoken and the design is fine.

omegazimm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages omegazimm
Re: magic lamp


I can has?

JDawg21


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JDawg21
Re: magic lamp


I absolutely LOVE this! And I hope you win because I will defintely buy one... I think the cat genie looks cool, so it's just a matter of opinion really

plqorz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages plqorz

I LOVE the design...So cute~~~I would buy one absolutely...I hope it will win next week...

PatrickHartnett


quality posts: 0 Private Messages PatrickHartnett
Re: magic lamp


i love this shirt i can haz cheezburger

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: magic lamp


This is a notice that the background shirt color you're using doesn't quite match the color from the swatches provided in our templates. For future entries please download the latest templates and use the colors provided.

meh3884


quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884
Re: magic lamp


This is pulled off just well enough get my vote

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

jlegos


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlegos
Re: magic lamp


I am overwhelmed by the positive response on this shirt! Thanks everyone who likes it and commented!

Dianasprinkle really hit the nail on the head with my intention with the cat genie. It is a cat communicating with another cat, and I wanted to create the same situation that happens for a human finding a lamp and the genie taking the form similar to a human. It makes sense to me for a cat to summon a cat genie from the lamp. To me, the design loses some of its humor if the genie is a human. It is a matter of opinion and can understand that not everyone will see it the same way that I do.

To tgentry- sorry, I didn't realize I hadn't sampled the color correctly! I'll be more careful next time. Thanks for the warning.

joemail11


quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
meh3884 wrote:This is pulled off just well enough get my vote


My thoughts exactly. I would never wear this, but the spot-on execution of the (immortal) meme garnered my vote.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
jlegos wrote:To me, the design loses some of its humor if the genie is a human. It is a matter of opinion and can understand that not everyone will see it the same way that I do.


I can understand your personal choice that having the cat genie makes more sense to you because it's communicating with its own kind, but that it loses humor doesn't really make sense.

With the cat genie the joke is, "haha, the cat is talking to the genie and instead of wanting cat things he wants a cheeseburger." One joke.

With the cat as a humanoid the joke is, "The genie is summoned and ready to grant wishes, but instead of a human before him he was somehow summoned by a cat who inexplicably wants a cheeseburger instead of something you'd think a cat would wish for could he commune with the genie." There are many layers there but at it's very base level there are at least two jokes if not three or four.

I suppose you could argue that, "hah, the genie is supposed to be a genie but he's a cat and the cat is a cat so they are both cats," is funny making it an even two but I'm not that kind of person.

joemail11


quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
mrwednesday wrote:With the cat as a humanoid the joke is, "The genie is summoned and ready to grant wishes, but instead of a human before him he was somehow summoned by a cat who inexplicably wants a cheeseburger instead of something you'd think a cat would wish for could he commune with the genie." There are many layers there but at it's very base level there are at least two jokes if not three or four.

I suppose you could argue that, "hah, the genie is supposed to be a genie but he's a cat and the cat is a cat so they are both cats," is funny making it an even two but I'm not that kind of person.


With the cat as a humanoid, it doesn't look good on a shirt. Let's end the argument about the joke quality and realize that it just looks better with the cat genie.

Cats: Good on shirts

Humans: Mediocre at best on shirts

SilentLegend


quality posts: 3 Private Messages SilentLegend
Re: magic lamp


I would actually buy this.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
joemail11 wrote:With the cat as a humanoid, it doesn't look good on a shirt. Let's end the argument about the joke quality and realize that it just looks better with the cat genie.

Cats: Good on shirts

Humans: Mediocre at best on shirts


It doesn't. Seeing as how 5/9 in the fog have humans and 1/9 has a cat (this shirt which would look better and be better conceptually with a humanoid genie) I'd say your argument holds very little water.

meh3884


quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884
mrwednesday wrote:It doesn't. Seeing as how 5/9 in the fog have humans and 1/9 has a cat (this shirt which would look better and be better conceptually with a humanoid genie) I'd say your argument holds very little water.


Guys, seriously, you both saying definitively "this shirt looks better with...." is absolutely POINTLESS.

You're both entitled to your opinions, which you've graced us all with a-plenty, but you should stop presenting them as fact, simply because it comes off arrogant and annoying.
But while we're sharing, this shirt teeters on wear-ability for me, but if there was a giant ugly man genie in the center of it, it would be very far beyond unwearable to me.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

theonlyalterego


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theonlyalterego
mrwednesday wrote:I'm going to have to agree. With the genie as a human it is much more of a non-sequitor as it paints a picture where it is unlikely the cat has any way to express its desire for a cheeseburger to the genie and the genie has no idea what the cat wants or even who rubbed the lamp.

With the genie a cat, it loses a great deal of subtlety and impact especially because there's no reason the genie should be a cat. I'm sure ramy will be a great resource for half-tones, shine and cramming the same cute animals into every design, but if you really want to improve, pay attention to the other designers here. Concept and execution is by far ramy's weakest area.


I agree with this. Less cat genie = more win. Otherwise, excellent shirt in all aspects.

joemail11


quality posts: 34 Private Messages joemail11
mrwednesday wrote:It doesn't. Seeing as how 5/9 in the fog have humans and 1/9 has a cat (this shirt which would look better and be better conceptually with a humanoid genie) I'd say your argument holds very little water.


Right in that regard, but I don't count most of those as humans (for some odd, inexplicable reason). Maybe because they are cartoony? Anyway, Grimoire is the one that I count, the Illusionist, I count as half (no features). Yeah...I realized how pathetic the cats vs. humans argument was soon after I posted it.

Regardless of my pitiful reasoning, I still think the same way.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
joemail11 wrote:Right in that regard, but I don't count most of those as humans (for some odd, inexplicable reason). Maybe because they are cartoony?


That's the part people are missing though. It doesn't have to look like a perfect human and it probably shouldn't. The genie from Aladdin is a humanoid but no one would say it was human. It wouldn't be that hard to make a humanoid/demon looking genie that avoided the "I have a human on my shirt problem" and that also helped complete the shirt conceptually.

von32


quality posts: 0 Private Messages von32
Re: magic lamp


This will be my first purchase on woot.
hah.. seriously though. This made me log in, even.

DoublEE


quality posts: 8 Private Messages DoublEE
Re: magic lamp


Can't vote for a meme shirt.

theicyone


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theicyone
Re: magic lamp


Have to get this for my girlfriend, I hope it's a winner.

rain0rshine


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rain0rshine

Love, love, love this design. I will definitely order one for myself and others if this is a winner. =)

[edit: for a silly typo]

foxbite


quality posts: 13 Private Messages foxbite

I am waiting with catnip baited breathe for this shirt to come up. I can haz shirt, yez?

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail