Derby #226: Math in Nature
+793

Schrödinger's Equation

Schrödinger's Equation
add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


(and his cat of course)

stevenddd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevenddd
ramyb wrote:(and his cat of course)


I hope this wins!!!

magnitude


quality posts: 0 Private Messages magnitude
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


This has to win!!!

rachelick


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachelick
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


I want to buy, like, ten of these. Man.

magnitude


quality posts: 0 Private Messages magnitude
rachelick wrote:I want to buy, like, ten of these. Man.


I'm with you rachelick!

vwclogan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwclogan
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


This looks a lot like someone else's shirt concept.

KCZach


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KCZach
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


I really, really hope this wins. I want two!

bigmaceater69


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigmaceater69
DUDE, really!?! Your obviously a great artist, and you have won enough times to prove my point. But this is not the first time that you have "waited" to submit your design only to post a shirt that is incredibly similar to one that is already in the fog. Normally your designs are one of the first on the derby and they always make it to the fog. I know its a lot of money on the line but your obviously better than this. Let other artists have a chance. Lets see a great ORIGINAL DESIGN! Your originals are always ten times better anyways!!!
Re: Schrödinger's Equation

paigeg


quality posts: 7 Private Messages paigeg
ramyb wrote:(and his cat of course)


This, I like. Not saying I'd buy/wear - math is not my thing, and I doubt anyone I know would get it. In fact, I can almost guarantee it. But this is what I was talking about in the threads for other 'equation' subs that were done in rigid rectangles - no flow. This has flow. And I like the hand-written look of the equation.
I first thought of 'Nevermore' when I saw this, and groaned. But if nothing else, this would print much more nicely.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
paigeg wrote:This, I like. Not saying I'd buy/wear - math is not my thing, and I doubt anyone I know would get it. In fact, I can almost guarantee it. But this is what I was talking about in the threads for other 'equation' subs that were done in rigid rectangles - no flow. This has flow. And I like the hand-written look of the equation.
I first thought of 'Nevermore' when I saw this, and groaned. But if nothing else, this would print much more nicely.


Thanks, for the most part :P I spent several hours writing and planning this out- it took four or five attempts to get the length to work out perfectly with the shape of the cat, and then another time to rewrite it in nicer handwriting.

wolfgaidin


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolfgaidin
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


This is awesome. I would get this as well as one for my friend for Christmas. I hope this surpasses your other two designs because it's so much better. GMV.

schroddie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages schroddie

See my nickname to the left? Need I say more? GMV! I so wish this tee-shirt wins. That would be two tee-shirts I buy from Ramyb's design. And you are local. Yay, go Baltimore! :D

missmonet22


quality posts: 0 Private Messages missmonet22
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


I must have this.



dmaz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


Oh geez...it's another Crow...good luck getting this off the reckoning.

ejsturm1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ejsturm1

I really hope this wins. I study these formulas and hope to make a career out of them. Thank you for this design!

crazydoglady


quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
paigeg wrote:This, I like. Not saying I'd buy/wear - math is not my thing, and I doubt anyone I know would get it. In fact, I can almost guarantee it. But this is what I was talking about in the threads for other 'equation' subs that were done in rigid rectangles - no flow. This has flow. And I like the hand-written look of the equation.
I first thought of 'Nevermore' when I saw this, and groaned. But if nothing else, this would print much more nicely.


I thought of Nevermore and groaned too... but I like it. A lot. And most of my friends/family are Big Bang fans so even though they wouldn't get it at first, all I would have to do is say, "Schrodinger's equation" and they would get it.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

This is Nevermore in cat version. Strike two for completely unoriginal ideas this derby for RamyB!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

schroddie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages schroddie
Re: Schrödinger's Equation

It is unfortunate that so many people are (again) targeting Ramyb for "not being original." Calligrams have been around for a very long time, well before the Nevermore tee-shirt. Calligrams made of equations (not just numbers) is however a first, as far as I know. This is an awesome idea and I really hope this tee-shirt wins.

kickthehobbit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kickthehobbit

PhD student in chemistry says, "I NEED THIS SHIRT."

This is amazing.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
kickthehobbit wrote:PhD student in chemistry says, "I NEED THIS SHIRT."

This is amazing.


Schrödinger's Cat is theoretical physics...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

#doublepostfail

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

logicalcupcake


quality posts: 5 Private Messages logicalcupcake
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


Come on, guys, typography has been around for a heck of a lot longer than Nevermore.

cahayes2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cahayes2
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


How does this not qualify as text-only?!

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
logicalcupcake wrote:Come on, guys, typography has been around for a heck of a lot longer than Nevermore.


Of course it has. But the point is that there is a very successful (beyond all logical reason why) shirt that is the exact same idea. It has been done already. My (our) point is that this shirt lacks any originality in the context of the shirt.woot world. Your argument only makes the lack of originality argument stronger.

About the "no text only" rule, my guess is that he's going to slide because his text-only is in the shape of something related to the equation. I think it should be rejected, but I don't think it will be.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
kylemittskus wrote:About the "no text only" rule, my guess is that he's going to slide because his text-only is in the shape of something related to the equation. I think it should be rejected, but I don't think it will be.


I agree with you. I think this would open the door to slogan/text shirts where the slogan/text takes the shape of something and is allowed to stand.

smklung


quality posts: 9 Private Messages smklung
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


I think that Ramyb's mind is a giant collection of other people's thoughts, because he clearly cannot think of any concepts that are his own.

crazydoglady


quality posts: 4 Private Messages crazydoglady
kylemittskus wrote:This is Nevermore in cat version. Strike two for completely unoriginal ideas this derby for RamyB!


From what I've seen, originality is not ramy's strong suit - I think his "talent" lies in his ability to take a safe, tried and true idea and rework it so that it's a winner for him. This is the epitome of safe and tried and true and I really wanted to hate it but... if I knew nothing about shirt.woot and happened to see this design on a friend I would want it. I agree with all the criticisms posted and I hate that once again ramy has 3 designs in the fog, but I would want this shirt and it got my vote.

Pineapplesf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pineapplesf
kylemittskus wrote:Schrödinger's Cat is theoretical physics...



Things in life are rarely so neatly categorical, it is both. Quantum is rather essential to understanding everything in chemistry. Once one "derives" orbitals, spins, and attempts to find state functions that map complex systems, many of the arbitrary rules learned in Gen Chem, Pchem, and Ochem make a lot more sense.

As a theoretical quantum chemist myself, I really like this. Nice.

killmak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages killmak

This is text only is it not? Just because the text forms together to make a cat shouldn't change the fact that it is text only.

Mind you if it gets rejected it will just re-appear with some minor little change to make it "conform" to the rules, however its a ramyb design so if it doesn't get rejected I wont be suprised.

spud16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spud16
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


My boyfriend and I have a black cat that we named Schrodinger! This shirt is a total win!

misterpookie


quality posts: 6 Private Messages misterpookie

I can't help but giggle about how boohoo everyone gets over shirt designs. A Day of Thanksgiving (1951). Designs. Don't like it? Don't buy it. One you didn't like doesn't make it? Go make a custom shirt for a few bucks and stop ripping on an extremely well designed shirt.

eeschultz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages eeschultz
misterpookie wrote:I can't help but giggle about how boohoo everyone gets over shirt designs.


Marry me, misterpookie.

morgankohl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl
misterpookie wrote:I can't help but giggle about how boohoo everyone gets over shirt designs. A Day of Thanksgiving (1951). Designs. Don't like it? Don't buy it. One you didn't like doesn't make it? Go make a custom shirt for a few bucks and stop ripping on an extremely well designed shirt.


Thank you!!! If you don't like it, shut up and don't vote for it. If you think you can do better, than effing do better and maybe YOU will make it to the fog.

killmak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages killmak
morgankohl wrote:Thank you!!! If you don't like it, shut up and don't vote for it. If you think you can do better, than effing do better and maybe YOU will make it to the fog.


If I don't like a design I can not critique it however people that like it can state why they like it? That makes no sense. If I have an opinion about a shirt design I have the same right to state that opinion as everyone else does.

Lets complain about people complaining.

morgankohl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl
killmak wrote:If I don't like a design I can not critique it however people that like it can state why they like it? That makes no sense. If I have an opinion about a shirt design I have the same right to state that opinion as everyone else does.

Lets complain about people complaining.


Critique to your little heart's content. I just think that you ladies are getting a little catty. (No pun intended.)

juliaL719


quality posts: 0 Private Messages juliaL719
morgankohl wrote:Critique to your little heart's content. I just think that you ladies are getting a little catty. (No pun intended.)


So we're going to get misogynistic too. Got it.

morgankohl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages morgankohl
juliaL719 wrote:So we're going to get misogynistic too. Got it.


Derisive, perhaps. Misogynistic, no.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


Wow, people are getting quite a bit sensitive here. First of all, I just wanted to address the text-only point. The no text-only designs has always been synonymous with "no slogans only." This shirt very clearly presents a graphic element, and while it would be an issue in an incidental text only derby, there is definitely an image represented here, not just text. The image didn't just appear out of thin air by magic, I had to physically draw out the cat itself, and then hand write all of the numbers and symbols to conform to its shape. It is not hidden or difficult to see, it is obviously there, and took many hours to create.

That aside, I am really glad that a lot of people are loving this design. It is something completely different from me and took a lot of planning and thought to put together. I love hearing that people can find a personal connection to my designs, whether it be through work or a pet cat. It is a great feeling to create something that people can relate to and enjoy. Thanks so much

Labrylla


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Labrylla
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


We would just like to point out that this is both a shirt and not a shirt right now.

To all the haters: jeez, calm down.

felixity


quality posts: 0 Private Messages felixity

Didn't they say no text only?

anjoolashirt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages anjoolashirt
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


I would like to buy this shirt, but you have a problem in your equation and it REALLY BUGS ME!!!

The Schrodinger's equation on the bottom should contain h-bar NOT h... you should change that ASAP.

Some people are saying your equation is right because "the units work out" but it's not the units that is the problem, but the scaling.

mattlussier


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattlussier
anjoolashirt wrote:I would like to buy this shirt, but you have a problem in your equation and it REALLY BUGS ME!!!

The Schrodinger's equation on the bottom should contain h-bar NOT h... you should change that ASAP.

Some people are saying your equation is right because "the units work out" but it's not the units that is the problem, but the scaling.


if i was smart enough to get this shirt...i would totally agree with you.




Dachman


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dachman
anjoolashirt wrote:I would like to buy this shirt, but you have a problem in your equation and it REALLY BUGS ME!!!

The Schrodinger's equation on the bottom should contain h-bar NOT h... you should change that ASAP.

Some people are saying your equation is right because "the units work out" but it's not the units that is the problem, but the scaling.

That kills it for me as well. It's the easiest part of the shirt to read and it is incorrect!

schroddie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages schroddie
anjoolashirt wrote:I would like to buy this shirt, but you have a problem in your equation and it REALLY BUGS ME!!!

The Schrodinger's equation on the bottom should contain h-bar NOT h... you should change that ASAP.

Some people are saying your equation is right because "the units work out" but it's not the units that is the problem, but the scaling.

Yikes. I hadn't seen that. The physicist in me just died a little.

Ramyb, could you make a version 2.0 with correction, maybe?

ccazabon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccazabon
schroddie wrote:Yikes. I hadn't seen that. The physicist in me just died a little.

Ramyb, could you make a version 2.0 with correction, maybe?


that's probably a small enough change, that woot would allow the change before printing if this shirt wins.

I also disagree with people complaining about this being too similar to the nevermore shirt.
I don't like crows, nor does the poem mean anything to me. I do like cats, and while I am not a physicist I find the schrodinger's cat experiment to be interesting.

So, I would buy this shirt while I have not and won't buy nevermore.

georgemil


quality posts: 0 Private Messages georgemil
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


I'd definitely buy this if Schroedinger's equation is fixed at the bottom. If not...I don't intend to be ridiculed by my entire physics department.

georgemil


quality posts: 0 Private Messages georgemil
georgemil wrote:I'd definitely buy this if Schroedinger's equation is fixed at the bottom. If not...I don't intend to be ridiculed by my entire physics department.


And actually, upon further examination of the entire shirt, every h should be turned into an hbar.

wrye


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wrye
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


This is a smart shirt. So similar designs have been done before...but seriously? The time it took to get the equation and make it fit-

I'd wear this AND I'd make my students wear it!

In a BOX!

melfox86


quality posts: 3 Private Messages melfox86
georgemil wrote:And actually, upon further examination of the entire shirt, every h should be turned into an hbar.


Oh, that would have to be fixed.

I can't believe this shirt is so controversial! I, for one, like when the words (or equation) makes up an image. It takes a lot of time to get it just right, and shows how the concept comes straight from the math (or words). It shows how people have the remarkable ability to view, or create, a bunch of squiggly lines that take form in our minds as a real concept.

There is clearly an image here, or did people miss the cat? Just because text creates the design doesn't mean that it's not there. The fact that you can say "that shirt has a cat on it" means that there is a design element to the shirt.

Yes, Nevermore also used the same method of creating an image, but it would be a shame if the technique had to die out on shirt.woot just because it was used once.

pilarjuliet


quality posts: 2 Private Messages pilarjuliet
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


Wow, there are some crazy sour grapes out there! The more I see Ramy's designs do well, the more nastiness seems to emerge. Legit critiques are one thing, but some of that commentary comes straight from a middle school bully mindset. Disagree, but have some respect, people. Ick.

mmmmm...tastes kinda... bitter.

Save the Earth...

it's the only planet with chocolate.

GredandForge


quality posts: 0 Private Messages GredandForge
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


Love it, would buy it over and over and over agian.

thedoctor


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedoctor
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


It is a shame it will come in a bag and not in a box.

Gregarich


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gregarich

Come on, I know hollywood is all remakes nowadays, where's the ART, woot???

holothuria


quality posts: 4 Private Messages holothuria
Re: Schrödinger's Equation


I don't have a problem with text in the shape of an animal (The idea's been around a lot longer than Nevermore.), and I don't know enough about the math to understand the h-bar complaint. My issue is that a house cat isn't nature. For all intents, it is a human-designed animal.

Bad ideas free; brilliant ideas by derangement.

dcroe05


quality posts: 12 Private Messages dcroe05
holothuria wrote:I don't have a problem with text in the shape of an animal (The idea's been around a lot longer than Nevermore.), and I don't know enough about the math to understand the h-bar complaint. My issue is that a house cat isn't nature. For all intents, it is a human-designed animal.


Um...if two people enter into an arranged marriage and then have a baby, that's still nature. Humans didn't create the housecat out of the firmament.

Darquis


quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
misterpookie wrote:I can't help but giggle about how boohoo everyone gets over shirt designs. A Day of Thanksgiving (1951). Designs. Don't like it? Don't buy it. One you didn't like doesn't make it? Go make a custom shirt for a few bucks and stop ripping on an extremely well designed shirt.


So rather than try and get the shirts we want to win, we should steal the art and just make them ourselves? COOL


Anyway, considering there was a "text as art" derby that ended up producing everyone's favorite shirt, Nevermore, I'd say this should have been dropped a long time ago for being text only.

hcfilly


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcfilly
Re:
Schrödinger's Equation


All I have to say is that this better have won!!

pepelepu73


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pepelepu73

Obviously, there should be some QQ in the equation. There's sure enough of it in this thread.

schroddie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages schroddie
thedoctor wrote:It is a shame it will come in a bag and not in a box.

That would be awesome! :D

My main problem with this tee-shirt is... if/when it wins, how many tee-shirts will I buy?

rockefoe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockefoe
kylemittskus wrote:Schrödinger's Cat is theoretical physics...


obviously you've never taken advanced chemistry.

rockefoe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockefoe
Pineapplesf wrote:Things in life are rarely so neatly categorical, it is both. Quantum is rather essential to understanding everything in chemistry. Once one "derives" orbitals, spins, and attempts to find state functions that map complex systems, many of the arbitrary rules learned in Gen Chem, Pchem, and Ochem make a lot more sense.

As a theoretical quantum chemist myself, I really like this. Nice.


exactly.

~UCSD Chem major.

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail