Derby #38: The Year You Were Born
+577

1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)

1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)
add a comment

Comments

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


1985 is the year fullerenes, which are special allotropes of carbon, were discovered. Fullerenes come in a few different forms, but probably the most interesting one is buckminsterfullerene (they're more commonly known as "buckyballs"), which is named after R. Buckminster Fuller. He was a pretty cool guy. Buckminsterfullerene is made of 60 carbon atoms arranged in an icosahedral form (like a soccer ball), and my illustration details the organic structure including the aromatic rings. Yes, I'm a geek.

This version has an adjusted fullerene graphic and includes a mass spectrum of the molecule for all of you geeks out there.

Edit:
Wow! I never expected this shirt to rank so high! I guess there are more geeks out there than I thought. I sincerely doubt this will wind up in the fog (and that's okay, I'm more than tickled about the positive response this design has gotten - thank you everyone!!) but I promise...I'll try to design more "geeky" shirts for future derbies.

Discobiscuits


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Discobiscuits
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


What shirt color is that...?

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
Discobiscuits wrote:What shirt color is that...?


Navy, as listed on the entry page (pantone 532). I didn't get the color from the palette given on the artist template because it is not the color they print their shirts on.

JadenKale


quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


I've gotta ask, did you make those from soccer ball shapes? Because they do look like clear soccer orbs.

mia3mom


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mia3mom
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


my husband & cousin work for the same biotech company, and both love the mass spectrometer.

gmv for this, love the more geekified version!

& the Gaggle of Girls; so many shirts, so little space in the dresser!

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
JadenKale wrote:I've gotta ask, did you make those from soccer ball shapes? Because they do look like clear soccer orbs.


Nope, I hand drew it while looking at a 3D model of C60 (something like this) and scanned in the drawing ;) They are made of the same shapes as the patches on a soccer ball - I think it's infinitely cool that such geometric perfection can be found in nature!!

marshlight


quality posts: 0 Private Messages marshlight

THIS. IS. AWESOME.

FlyinyourSoup


quality posts: 0 Private Messages FlyinyourSoup

I MUST HAVE THIS 0_0
I adore bucky orbs.

zpss


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zpss

daedalusknight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
FlyinyourSoup wrote:I MUST HAVE THIS 0_0
I adore bucky orbs.



Heheheh... you have to put it as one word... buckyballs... or the filter changes that second word to "orbs." :-)

goingfordistance


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goingfordistance
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


Hey! Harry Kroto (the discoverer) just spoke at my school! This shirt is awesome.

Do you have a Caution Octopus shirt? Men's small, perhaps?

thericeman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thericeman
squidboots wrote:1985 is the year fullerenes, which are special allotropes of carbon, were discovered. Fullerenes come in a few different forms, but probably the most interesting one is buckminsterfullerene (they're more commonly known as "buckyballs"), which is named after R. Buckminster Fuller. He was a pretty cool guy. Buckminsterfullerene is made of 60 carbon atoms arranged in an icosahedral form (like a soccer ball), and my illustration details the organic structure including the aromatic rings. Yes, I'm a geek.

This version has an adjusted fullerene graphic and includes a mass spectrum of the molecule for all of you geeks out there.


I like this design, I am currently taking organic chemistry
and I like it much more than general chem.
I guess it does take a nerd to understand what an aromatic ring is.
*giggles*

I WANT MORE NERDY SHIRTS

dekonstruct


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dekonstruct
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


This shirt deserves to win, hands down. It takes a lot of work to reach this level of geekery, and I commend you!

poochyaki


quality posts: 0 Private Messages poochyaki
dekonstruct wrote:This shirt deserves to win, hands down. It takes a lot of work to reach this level of geekery, and I commend you!


gosh i'm an ochem nerdess and i love this shirt! is voting still open? i'm new to woot so I'm not sure how to go about voting for this badass shirt...help anyone?

daedalusknight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
poochyaki wrote:gosh i'm an ochem nerdess and i love this shirt! is voting still open? i'm new to woot so I'm not sure how to go about voting for this badass shirt...help anyone?


Voting is still open. However, in order to be able to vote for shirts you must have made a purchase (any purchase) from Woot.

rosebudflowerpower


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rosebudflowerpower
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


i hope this makes it into the fog. its just so darn cool!

smittycity42


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smittycity42

Comon, where gettin closer! Rally your friends and have them subscribe the the buckyball goodness!

DSwarP


quality posts: 1 Private Messages DSwarP

Yesssss, Buckyball!

smithsonia


quality posts: 2 Private Messages smithsonia
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


It'd be pretty sweet if this made it to the fog.
I love this shirt!

enin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages enin

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
enin wrote:excellent design!


thank you :D

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
daedalusknight wrote:Heheheh... you have to put it as one word... buckyballs... or the filter changes that second word to "orbs." :-)


*giggles*

I was wondering about that...

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
thericeman wrote:I like this design, I am currently taking organic chemistry
and I like it much more than general chem.
I guess it does take a nerd to understand what an aromatic ring is.
*giggles*

I WANT MORE NERDY SHIRTS


O-chem was one of the funnest (most fun?) courses I took in undergrad. Clearly I wasn't an english major! *giggles*

Anyway, I'm glad someone else feels the o-chem love :D And, I promise to submit more geeky shirts in future derbies!

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
dekonstruct wrote:This shirt deserves to win, hands down. It takes a lot of work to reach this level of geekery, and I commend you!


*salute*

Thank you! I'm humbled by your praise.

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

squidboots wrote:O-chem was one of the funnest (most fun?) courses I took in undergrad. Clearly I wasn't an english major! *giggles*

Anyway, I'm glad someone else feels the o-chem love :D And, I promise to submit more geeky shirts in future derbies!

At Michigan State we called it Orgo.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

daedalusknight


quality posts: 5 Private Messages daedalusknight
superspryte wrote:At Michigan State we called it Orgo.


Orgo? Sounds like an angry troll name. "Me Orgo like t-shirt. Me Orgo smash anyone not vote for buckyball shirt!" :-)

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

daedalusknight wrote:Orgo? Sounds like an angry troll name. "Me Orgo like t-shirt. Me Orgo smash anyone not vote for buckyball shirt!" :-)

Dunno. I think some people called it o-chem but most people called it orgo.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
superspryte wrote:At Michigan State we called it Orgo.


Must be an east coast thing then ;) I haven't heard it called anything other than o-chem.

Then again, I don't get out much! :P

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
squidboots wrote:Must be an east coast thing then ;) I haven't heard it called anything other than o-chem.

Then again, I don't get out much! :P


I'm in Alberta (Western Canada) and we call it o-chem as well.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

cadedude


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cadedude

As a Biotechnology grad, I couldn't possibly get away with wearing this on-campus where the real chemists might see me and reveal my ignorance. Myself, I'm hoping for the Human Genome Project shirt to declare victory. That said, there's an unreasonable shortage of geek shirts that aren't about video games or programming, so more power to you for the design.

You've got my vote, on principle alone.

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
cadedude wrote:As a Biotechnology grad, I couldn't possibly get away with wearing this on-campus where the real chemists might see me and reveal my ignorance. Myself, I'm hoping for the Human Genome Project shirt to declare victory. That said, there's an unreasonable shortage of geek shirts that aren't about video games or programming, so more power to you for the design.

You've got my vote, on principle alone.


Ahhh they probably wouldn't smoke you out, but they would probably be jealous :D

I agree that there's a a sad lack of science geek shirts...I don't know how many more chemistry shirts I'll make simply because I'm a grad student in some useless field of biology...nevertheless, keep your eyes peeled ;)

superspryte


quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

squidboots wrote:Must be an east coast thing then ;) I haven't heard it called anything other than o-chem.

Then again, I don't get out much! :P

Don't let any true east coasters hear you call me that. I'm a Midwesterner...they'll have a fit. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

phinxae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phinxae
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)



I COMPLETELY agree about there needing to be more science geeky shirts vs programming/video games. I mean, c'mon, some of us are productively/usefully geeky...

Also, this shirt is flippin sweet. Although I am also rooting for the HGP one. But this one has a very original concept, which I very much appreciate.

And last but not least, Michigan is so not east coast. I'm from mass. and going to UIllinois, and my sister's at UMich. so I know a little about the difference. Let's just leave it at Michigan=midwest. Illinois = midwest. mass. = not midwest. michigan = not east coast. that's not to judge the merits of either... long will I miss steak n shake when I return...

bluchez


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluchez
phinxae wrote:I COMPLETELY agree about there needing to be more science geeky shirts vs programming/video games. I mean, c'mon, some of us are productively/usefully geeky...


As a professional programmer, I take offense to that.

squidboots


quality posts: 2 Private Messages squidboots
phinxae wrote:I COMPLETELY agree about there needing to be more science geeky shirts vs programming/video games. I mean, c'mon, some of us are productively/usefully geeky...


TOTALLY 100% TRUE

Also, this shirt is flippin sweet. Although I am also rooting for the HGP one. But this one has a very original concept, which I very much appreciate.


Thanks!! I'm hoping that the next derby will be just as inspiring...and I hope that people see how well this shirt did and kind of follow the lead and put up some more science geekery! C'mon, I want to see some physics love shirts out there.

And last but not least, Michigan is so not east coast. I'm from mass. and going to UIllinois, and my sister's at UMich. so I know a little about the difference. Let's just leave it at Michigan=midwest. Illinois = midwest. mass. = not midwest. michigan = not east coast. that's not to judge the merits of either... long will I miss steak n shake when I return...


Hahahaha, word. Sorry folks, but I grew up in Washington DC and I'm currently in the frozen wastes of upstate NY at Cornell. You don't get much more east coast than that (probably not a good thing! :P). I definitely think that's why I have never heard it called anything other than o-chem.

lingo654


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lingo654
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


I just wanted to congratulate you on making it to the fog. When i first voted for the shirt i didn't think it would make it. Not because it was a bad design, i just didn't think people liked orgo. I guess i underestimated the number of science nerds on woot .

This is great. I love this shirt and i hope i can buy one. Way to go!

carontoc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages carontoc
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


This shirt is about as cool as a nerd could ever aspire to!!! I love it!!!

smittycity42


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smittycity42
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


w00t! Fog!!

I just wana say that I have no love for o-chem, but carbon allotropes are important

smithsonia


quality posts: 2 Private Messages smithsonia
Re: 1985 - Buckminsterfullerene (super geek version)


bummer... so close.
well, I loved this shirt, anyway. better luck next time!

winterismyseason


quality posts: 0 Private Messages winterismyseason
phinxae wrote:... long will I miss steak n shake when I return...


YES! I love that place, sadly I'm going to Mich. Tech. and the nearest one downstate somewhere.

I love orgo, but sadly it's over and I've moved on to p-chem. It seems as though there is no more chemistry, just more math parading round as chem.

GMV!

poochyaki


quality posts: 0 Private Messages poochyaki

can you get this shirt made through cafepress? i think enough people would buy it to warrant your trouble!

smittycity42


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smittycity42
poochyaki wrote:can you get this shirt made through cafepress? i think enough people would buy it to warrant your trouble!


agreed

ilcarriz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ilcarriz

Wow, I'm so upset that this didn't make it! If you get it printed elsewhere, please let us all know!

saveyoursanity


quality posts: 0 Private Messages saveyoursanity
ilcarriz wrote:Wow, I'm so upset that this didn't make it! If you get it printed elsewhere, please let us all know!


I completely agree!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail