Derby #88: Music
+1157

Music Pirate (resub)

Music Pirate (resub)
add a comment

Comments

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


All righty then. Arrr....Here we go...


icymallard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


ahh i didnt even know it was ramyb's design jeje

for a nobody, this is a really well polished design.

for ramy, it is as expected. you got my vote for now, very clever

glacierice16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages glacierice16
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


yayy!!! it's back! vote! and don't u morons dare reject this shirt again, or i will kick puppies! woo hoooo! yay this shirt is awosome!! i'm buying 2!! i will wear mine every sunday, wednesday, and Friday!!

Krygore


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Krygore

The old one is better, I'm disappointed I have to settle with this.

GMV, hope you don't get screwed over again.

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Hrmm...interesting. I wonder what the rejectionator will do to this.

sagerman4


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sagerman4
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Aww, man! Dang it. I really didn't want to have to buy more shirts from this site, but now that this is here, I may have to. I can't decide if I want this to win or not, now.

Oh well. Gotta go download some discographies.

Oldyeller89


quality posts: 18 Private Messages Oldyeller89
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


While this shirt should have been on topic in the first place, I don't particularly like your addition to make it more on topic. Why wouldn't he just be listening to the music via his computer? I think it would be a lot better if you had a CD burner and a stack of cds on the desk (although I can see how that would clutter the picture).

Bunnies Ogling Carrots#39;s:
4/1/10: 2.5 lbs---2/25/10: 5.6 lbs
12/25/09: 22.4 lbs---10/28/09: 5.4 lbs
9/25/09: 8.2 lbs---4/1/09: 3.2 lbs
9/22/10: 18.4 lbs---12/1/10: 2.1 lbs

noisdois


quality posts: 1 Private Messages noisdois

So is he supposed to be dead, or undead? At first glance I figured he was undead, being as he has a parrot on his shoulder and is listening to music and everything, but after thinking about it I remember seeing an awful lot of news articles lately that are talking about how more and more people are dying in front of their computers while playing WOW or chatting in chat rooms. I wasn't sure if you were trying to show that or not. :/

Anyways, nicely done. I've almost always been impressed with your use of halftones.

Tabernack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


It'd be ten times more wearable for those of us who don't like sporting cutsie stuff but can appreciate a decent design if the skeleton were less.... "chibi" ..... maybe that's just me. I'd buy it if it weren't for that fact.

Reawen


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reawen
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


I absolutely love that there are music notes on the bandanna. Nice detail!

nopassn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nopassn
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Sweet! It's back. GMV... FWIW, I'm wearing a ramyb shirt right now

mirlyn


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mirlyn
Re: Music Pirate (resub)



*wants this shirt so bad!*

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Awesome, I so want this one! :D

sonotthereason


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonotthereason
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Thank god you resubb'd!!! GMV!!!

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

theghotiman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theghotiman
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


So, a skull kid is surfing the net and listening to his ipod and this related to music how? Is it because of the few notes in front of the skull's face? I assume those are coming from the computer and not the ipod. (Which makes me wonder why the sound is turned up on the computer.) And since when are random sounds or a few notes music? My computer dings and beeps at me, but it isn't music. Nor does it represent music. It's just sound.

The only thing that makes this anywhere close to being on theme is the title and that's just not enough. For example, if I was to submit a design depicting a scene of war it wouldn't be on topic. And if I titled it "The Battle Hymn" it still wouldn't be on topic, even though the title clearly references music. It may be a nice design, but it isn't following the rules, it's just trying to circumvent them.

I appreciate that many of you like it, but don't stretch and try reason this to be on theme, because it isn't.

brisky86


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brisky86
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Wow...
A bunch of you wine about how specific it is too much.

You really don't see that he is wearing headphones and he is on the computer because he is stealing music?

You know PIRATING MUSIC.
Geez people.

Anyhow back to the original design I think it's great and I want one BAD!
=D

arcsus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
brisky86 wrote:Wow...
A bunch of you wine about how specific it is too much.

You really don't see that he is wearing headphones and he is on the computer because he is stealing music?

You know PIRATING MUSIC.
Geez people.

Anyhow back to the original design I think it's great and I want one BAD!
=D


Wow, am I seriously the only one that thinks that being a "MUSIC PIRATE" is a bad thing? Whatever...go ahead and win the derby and sell lots of shirts. Go and steal music. Pirate bay is the greatest thing ever! The artists don't care - they like it! They are all filthy rich and besides, musicians aren't even real artists.

databit


quality posts: 0 Private Messages databit
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Polly wanna earbud?

eag01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eag01
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


And the complaining begins again... I love the design RamyB. I'm in for one if it makes top 3.

kandiiz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kandiiz
arcsus wrote:Wow, am I seriously the only one that thinks that being a "MUSIC PIRATE" is a bad thing? Whatever...go ahead and win the derby and sell lots of shirts. Go and steal music. Pirate bay is the greatest thing ever! The artists don't care - they like it! They are all filthy rich and besides, musicians aren't even real artists.



The shirt is not encouraging music pirating. it is a rather more of a joke and a clever illustration of a commonly used phrase, so calm down. With your line of reasoning and argument, you would have to be pretty upset... in fact, if comparing the scale of crime, you should be in hysterics about the other shirt in the fog, where the bird is watching a cage of people. PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR THAT SHIRT AREN'T ENDORSING KIDNAPPING/CAGING so chill out please.

arcsus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
kandiiz wrote:The shirt is not encouraging music pirating. it is a rather more of a joke and a clever illustration of a commonly used phrase, so calm down. With your line of reasoning and argument, you would have to be pretty upset... in fact, if comparing the scale of crime, you should be in hysterics about the other shirt in the fog, where the bird is watching a cage of people. PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR THAT SHIRT AREN'T ENDORSING KIDNAPPING/CAGING so chill out please.


You are comparing this to Edgar's entry? *faceplam* Ok. I'll try and chill out. As I said in the first rejected submission, the illustration and color use is nice in this. I just don't like the statement this is conveying. It's just my opinion though, and I guess I am just a little disappointed to see the community embrace this. But one little picture of a broccoli floret gets livetraced for a daily shirt and the community goes ape Gigli (2003). It seems hypocritical to me.

kandiiz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kandiiz
arcsus wrote:You are comparing this to Edgar's entry? *faceplam* Ok. I'll try and chill out. As I said in the first rejected submission, the illustration and color use is nice in this. I just don't like the statement this is conveying. It's just my opinion though, and I guess I am just a little disappointed to see the community embrace this. But one little picture of a broccoli floret gets livetraced for a daily shirt and the community goes ape Gigli (2003). It seems hypocritical to me.


it's not hypocritical because you're comparing apples to oranges.

live tracing a picture is.. live tracing a picture.

drawing a picture of a pirate downloading music... is NOT pirating music.

you're missing one crucial step there. if you drew A PICTURE--your own-- of someone live tracing, no one would go "ape Gigli (2003)"

arcsus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
kandiiz wrote:it's not hypocritical because you're comparing apples to oranges.

live tracing a picture is.. live tracing a picture.

drawing a picture of a pirate downloading music... is NOT pirating music.

you're missing one crucial step there. if you drew A PICTURE--your own-- of someone live tracing, no one would go "ape Gigli (2003)"


You are misunderstanding me. I am not saying Ramyb is pirating music or stealing art or anything. Just the double standard of everyone around here thinking that stealing art is a crime punishable by death, but stealing music is worthy of a cute pirate shirt. Ugh nevermind. Overreacting is not my forte and I already admitted defeat. Good luck ramy.

Mchldmorrison


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mchldmorrison
theghotiman wrote:So, a skull kid is surfing the net and listening to his ipod and this related to music how? Is it because of the few notes in front of the skull's face? I assume those are coming from the computer and not the ipod. (Which makes me wonder why the sound is turned up on the computer.) And since when are random sounds or a few notes music? My computer dings and beeps at me, but it isn't music. Nor does it represent music. It's just sound.

The only thing that makes this anywhere close to being on theme is the title and that's just not enough. For example, if I was to submit a design depicting a scene of war it wouldn't be on topic. And if I titled it "The Battle Hymn" it still wouldn't be on topic, even though the title clearly references music. It may be a nice design, but it isn't following the rules, it's just trying to circumvent them.

I appreciate that many of you like it, but don't stretch and try reason this to be on theme, because it isn't.


Valid points however i have showed this design to my wife with out telling her about the theme and she guessed it was a music theme right away. Alot of people now listen to music from the computer just not mp3 or cd players. Its not 100% music theme but alot of the designs in derbys arent. Diversity is great thing, i would hate to see all music note themes in the top 4.

kandiiz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kandiiz
arcsus wrote:You are comparing this to Edgar's entry? *faceplam* Ok. I'll try and chill out.




Um, no I'm not comparing this shirt to Edgar's shirt. I'm giving an analogous example to illustrate your ridiculous reaction to this shirt. I could have used any of the shirts, but I just used that one because it's in the fog and incidentally depicts caged people (a crime, just like pirating music)!

Analogy isn't your strongest point, so please stop trying to respond to it if you can't grasp the argument structure.

eddie22487


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddie22487
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Definitely has my vote. I love it. I don't really download music, because I don't listen to that much anyways. But definitely don't agree with all the hype people are making about pirating it. I'm totally fine with that. Not every pirate is a legitimate sale. If I download music, I'm definitely not going to otherwise spend my money on it.

Love it.

kandiiz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kandiiz
arcsus wrote:You are misunderstanding me. I am not saying Ramyb is pirating music or stealing art or anything. Just the double standard of everyone around here thinking that stealing art is a crime punishable by death, but stealing music is worthy of a cute pirate shirt. Ugh nevermind. Overreacting is not my forte and I already admitted defeat. Good luck ramy.


no it's still apples to oranges. by reacting to a shirt that had live tracedness in it, people were reacting to the action of live tracing.

ramy didn't pirate music by drawing this shirt.

apples /= oranges

that is all.

arcsus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
kandiiz wrote:no it's still apples to oranges. by reacting to a shirt that had live tracedness in it, people were reacting to the action of live tracing.

ramy didn't pirate music by drawing this shirt.

apples /= oranges

that is all.



It's obvious we could go around and around like this all night, so instead I have a joke! Ready? Here goes....

A grasshopper walks into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we have a drink named after you." The grasshopper says "You have a drink named Steve?"

nrarmen


quality posts: 6 Private Messages nrarmen
arcsus wrote:It's obvious we could go around and around like this all night, so instead I have a joke! Ready? Here goes....

A grasshopper walks into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we have a drink named after you." The grasshopper says "You have a drink named Steve?"


lolwut?

kandiiz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kandiiz
arcsus wrote:It's obvious we could go around and around like this all night, so instead I have a joke! Ready? Here goes....

A grasshopper walks into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we have a drink named after you." The grasshopper says "You have a drink named Steve?"


:D

icymallard


quality posts: 4 Private Messages icymallard
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


haha ramy's prolly like...

intense debate even on this on-topic design?

*facepalm*

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


I wish the iPod wasn't there... I do like the musical notes. I still voted it.

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
icymallard wrote:haha ramy's prolly like...

intense debate even on this on-topic design?

*facepalm*


I'm thinking the people that don't think this shirt is on topic probably don't get that he's pirating music. Its obvious to the younger generation, maybe that's the issue. I'm thinking its a generation gap thing.

mirlyn


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mirlyn

I'm just glad the votes keep coming! Keep it up!

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
mitchellp wrote:I'm thinking the people that don't think this shirt is on topic probably don't get that he's pirating music. Its obvious to the younger generation, maybe that's the issue. I'm thinking its a generation gap thing.


Actually, I'm IN the younger crowd, and I think it's somewhat problematic that the resub's only real difference is some musical notes and an iPod. I mean...really?

I thought the first one was perfectly fine, BUT SINCE IT WASN'T, I don't know if this is really any more or less on theme just by the added elements.

So, for me, it's not so much whether the concept is on topic, because I think it is, but I don't think the resub is any more on topic than the original, REJECTED submission.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
HeartlineTwist wrote:Actually, I'm IN the younger crowd, and I think it's somewhat problematic that the resub's only real difference is some musical notes and an iPod. I mean...really?

I thought the first one was perfectly fine, BUT SINCE IT WASN'T, I don't know if this is really any more or less on theme just by the added elements.

So, for me, it's not so much whether the concept is on topic, because I think it is, but I don't think the resub is any more on topic than the original, REJECTED submission.


I think the original issue was that it wasn't clear that it was a reference to pirating music as opposed to DVDs or anything else- I think the subtle change makes it clear that it's a music reference (the music notes on the bandana were supposed to tie it to the theme, but I'm sure the rejectionator didn't see them anyway) If I'm mistaken about the issue then I guess I'll be sadly disappointed later, but I think that the reference is about as clear as it can get now.

ZMaiden


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ZMaiden
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Not my favorite shirt this time, but I still would wear it. I don't really understand the original difficulty in understanding it was on topic. I don't get why having a guy listening on an mp3 player means music, but having him listen on a computer doesn't. Oh well, I guess I'm just biased seeing as all my music is on my hard drive I must have this shirt, it can go with all my pirating(sp?) backgrounds.

SylarXx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SylarXx
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


You have to be pretty dense to think this isn't on topic. Another great shirt from Ramy. Voted for.

azadpanchi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages azadpanchi
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


the music notes.. i am not so crazy about them

let's tax this shirt 90%, more baby seals die of this shirt every year then the seal monster.. it is a great take/phun on the topic, and does not promote pirating music.. i'd get the shirt but i don't pirate music or condone it

wizzdingo


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wizzdingo
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


I would have argued on topic the first time around, but like others have said, I struggle with the fact a few notes etc and suddenly its all better.

Specifically, just throwing some notes into the gradient that is nearly irrelavent to the design is kind of dissappointing

Favs

wizzdingo


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wizzdingo
wizzdingo wrote:I would have argued on topic the first time around, but like others have said, I struggle with the fact a few notes etc and suddenly its all better.

Specifically, just throwing some notes into the gradient that is nearly irrelavent to the design is kind of dissappointing


infatuated...the notes are between the skull and the screen, not at bottom of shirt comp... However, I'm still not a fan of just a few notes. That being said, should pass teh rejectionator this time.

Favs

scuzzmaster11


quality posts: 0 Private Messages scuzzmaster11

it's ok, but i liked the first version better. this one seems a tad cluttered, losing the simplicity of the original.

gmv anyway . . . and i wonder if the skeleton is lars? ha!

jerroul


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jerroul

Really like the concept and execution...and no, my family and I do NOT approve of pirating music - some of us are in the business - but we DO have a sense of humour and do like pirates & pirate jokes. Colours and style are great. I especially like the choice of a "pirate" robin in place of the parrot. Just as colorful as a parrot, but a songbird, as well as a pun.

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
ramyb wrote:(Sorry, realized I was missing a layer on my music notes)- Subtle edit to make the connection more to music Hope you still like it if you voted before.


I'm also a bit disappointed that adding some music notes and an Ipod fixed this design. While I do think your coloring and concept are very nice, I'm pretty sick of all of the chibi and cute stuff that is getting submited so very often. Despite liking the concept and colors, I can't vote for this simply because I wouldn't wear it. I know a lot of people that would wear it though. Ramyramyramy, I love to see you actually do some more grown up looking designs.

4Rovel67


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 4Rovel67
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Well you've won my vote!
I would buy that shirt the second it comes out!
Good Luck Ramyb!
I'm in for 2

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
koronae wrote:I'm also a bit disappointed that adding some music notes and an Ipod fixed this design. While I do think your coloring and concept are very nice, I'm pretty sick of all of the chibi and cute stuff that is getting submited so very often. Despite liking the concept and colors, I can't vote for this simply because I wouldn't wear it. I know a lot of people that would wear it though. Ramyramyramy, I love to see you actually do some more grown up looking designs.


I really can't see anyone else that has this kind of illustration skills on Woot lately. I mean of course there are other great designers on here but they all have different styles and techniques. This is Ramy's style. It is like trying to tell a singer to sing a different way, or asking an elephant not to step so hard. All I am saying really is that if you don't like it then don't vote for it. I'm reminded of the old saying"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at ll"


ClixWizard


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ClixWizard

I voted for it... again!

stargrey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stargrey
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


I'm glad this is back in the fog, even if modified from its original brilliance. For everyone offended at its blatant "support of music piracy": give it a rest. Social commentary, often unpopular speech, is the cornerstone of a free society. w00t!

Got my vote, and if I lived in Chicago you'd have my vote a dozen times or more! ;)

--
170+ w00ts, 6 or 7 Bags a la Crap (but who's counting), 100% attitude.
(This signature brought to you by the I-Don't-Wanna'-Have-A-Bunch-Of-Pics-In-My-Sig Society.)

akumachan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akumachan
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Good shirt ramy!

I think it's definitely on theme. Pirating is a large part of the music world now, like it or not.

Frankly the woot judges baffle me now. They left the art deco design alone but brought the hammer down on this one. Was it a make-up call? An attempt to belatedly show that they aren't biased?

anyway, I think this one is well within the topic.

But no vote from me. It's not something I would wear o羰r purchase for anyone.

I agree somewhat with the person who said pirating is wrong. It is, and I wouldn't wear a shirt to support it. Even if it is poking fun at pirating.

But I do like the design. very well done.

mirlyn


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mirlyn
wizzdingo wrote:I would have argued on topic the first time around, but like others have said, I struggle with the fact a few notes etc and suddenly its all better.

Specifically, just throwing some notes into the gradient that is nearly irrelavent to the design is kind of dissappointing


While I think the notes are there just to support the rest of the shirt so it doesn't get axed, I think the Ipod made a huge difference. I don't look at the Ipod as if he's listening to the Ipod but as if he's uploading to the Ipod in association with the pirating theme.

However, I was one of the people who saw the theme in the shirt the first second I laid eyes on it and I'd buy 2 since it also has some elements that bring up some inside jokes between my husband and I and his family :P.

theciscokiddd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theciscokiddd

Ok I used to not like Ramyb very much, but this design makes me put all those cute animals to the past. This is awesome.

YAHHHHH

goodedesign


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goodedesign
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


well done!
wow... this is by far a fave.
gmv

[url=http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=8016]

mfbassplayer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mfbassplayer
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Great design Ramy and cool concept. GMV.


On a side note, I don't find this really "chibi." I just see a cartoon skeleton pirate stealing music... nothing in this says "short person" or "small child" done in an anime or manga way. Just my $.02

Yaaaaaaawn. I'm bored.

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
Anthony3419 wrote:I really can't see anyone else that has this kind of illustration skills on Woot lately. I mean of course there are other great designers on here but they all have different styles and techniques. This is Ramy's style. It is like trying to tell a singer to sing a different way, or asking an elephant not to step so hard. All I am saying really is that if you don't like it then don't vote for it. I'm reminded of the old saying"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at ll"


There certainly are other artists that cash in on the cute theme here. Sekiyoku for instance. Both of them usually end up in the fog as well. Having multiple cute shirts win is fairly disappointing for me, as I generally won't buy them. When it comes to style, nobody is style locked. If you look up any information on Ramy and see the art he did before he started his anime styled art, you'd be surprised. It's actually very good and artistic. He is very capable as an artist, but it's pretty obvious he cashes in on his ability to do cute anime styled stuff. I don't see a problem with telling an artist that I'd be more inclined to buy their work if it was different. I also think comparing graphic art and illustration to music is a bit unfair, as an extremely defined style in music is what tends to make bands very successful. In art, being able to do different styles is pretty beneficial.

As for not having anything nice to say, I clearly did. Go back and reread my comment. I did say I liked the concept and coloring, but it was the cute factor that didn't work for me. I think it's sort of rude to tell people not to give their opinions just because they are unpopular.

Barberella


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barberella
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


This is at the top of my "to purchase" list. Good luck!

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
re: music pirate (resub)


Nice job.

It's not cutesy, and it is a neat execution of a good concept.

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
koronae wrote:

As for not having anything nice to say, I clearly did. Go back and reread my comment. I did say I liked the concept and coloring, but it was the cute factor that didn't work for me. I think it's sort of rude to tell people not to give their opinions just because they are unpopular.


Are you kidding me? I am not telling you to not give your opinion, just that your opinion is un-granted. Cutesy, I think not. Since when are dead un-skinned people cute? These little derbies we participate in are for the "wooters". It is what they want. So if you can make exactly what they want then you will end up in the fog time and time again. Who in their right mind would do something different and make it difficult to sell designs because most didn't get it. Is a great design great because one person says so (like you) or if many people say so?


srm8ib4


quality posts: 5 Private Messages srm8ib4
Anthony3419 wrote:Are you kidding me? I am not telling you to not give your opinion, just that your opinion is un-granted. Cutesy, I think not. Since when are dead un-skinned people cute? These little derbies we participate in are for the "wooters". It is what they want. So if you can make exactly what they want then you will end up in the fog time and time again. Who in their right mind would do something different and make it difficult to sell designs because most didn't get it. Is a great design great because one person says so (like you) or if many people say so?


How is this anime-styled pic not cutesy? Yeah it has a skeleton in it, but it's totally chibi; you could imagine a kid wearing this. Also, just because a majority of people vote for this, it doesn't mean this design is great. It's almost a literal translation of music piracy. Granted, it's executed well, but it doesn't take much thought to come up with this concept.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
srm8ib4 wrote:How is this anime-styled pic not cutesy? Yeah it has a skeleton in it, but it's totally chibi; you could imagine a kid wearing this. Also, just because a majority of people vote for this, it doesn't mean this design is great. It's almost a literal translation of music piracy. Granted, it's executed well, but it doesn't take much thought to come up with this concept.


meh. the weird shape of the skull kills it for me. This person would have one right eye in the normal position, their left eye would be located somewhere up on the higher portion of their forehead- eyebrow level at least. They'd have a teeny tiny nose. couldn't breathe at all through that thing. Finally, they'd have 4 front teeth on the top of theior mouth- flat, straight across. They'd look like some sort of circus geek. It's a freakshow.

mirlyn


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mirlyn
Josephus wrote:meh. the weird shape of the skull kills it for me. This person would have one right eye in the normal position, their left eye would be located somewhere up on the higher portion of their forehead- eyebrow level at least. They'd have a teeny tiny nose. couldn't breathe at all through that thing. Finally, they'd have 4 front teeth on the top of theior mouth- flat, straight across. They'd look like some sort of circus geek. It's a freakshow.


Ok... lol... The skeleton is also obviously alive and downloading music with a bird on his shoulder. I'm sorry, when did these things occur in real life as well? I don't think the artist was going for realism and to nitpick the layout of the anatomy is kinda silly. lol. But you did make me giggle so thanks!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


ramyb wrote:
And on an unrelated note, I know I've said several times that I'd try new things, I want to state this as more of a long-term commitment instead of a one-week promise. I won't say that I'm going to abandon this style, because it's one that I like and one that I enjoy doing, but there's a time and a place for it and I'm starting to realize that (a bit late, I know, but at least the revelation has come). Up to this point, I just assumed that there was a vocal group who disliked the style and I was able to just ignore their concerns because they were generally voiced in extremely nasty and vicious posts, but it's becoming clear that it's overdone to the point that people who previously enjoyed the style are growing to despise it. I'm going to (at least try) to start doing my part to increasing the variety on woot in the derby. Hopefully. Just get on my case if I don't follow through (although I'm sure that won't be a problem)


This was March 16th, 2009. Not even half a month ago. Guess those two weeks without a win really hurt.

woemcat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages woemcat
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


the added music notes really make it. gmv!

dijin


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dijin
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


I'm not a fan of pirates nor do I want people misinterpreting that I like to pirate music nor do I like the ipod in the design. So not for me.

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
dijin wrote:I'm not a fan of pirates nor do I want people misinterpreting that I like to pirate music nor do I like the ipod in the design. So not for me.


What's up with the whole "not for me because it has an ipod on it" phrase I keep reading. Really are ipods an embarrassment? Last I checked Apple was pretty much in the here and now with all there products. I don't get it I guess. Maybe I can start a new trend and say things like "I wont vote for this because it has sleeves". "i would vote for this design if it didn't have _______. You fill in the blank with anything popular in a design.


nerdgod89


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nerdgod89
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


fo sho GMV, ramy is my fave artist and as a dedicated music pirate i will buy this shirt if it doesnt sell out fast enough. when i wear it people will understand what it means, which is a lot better than half the shirts on woot.
great job with another home run ramyb! keep up the good work!

~
indianwoot

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
Anthony3419 wrote:What's up with the whole "not for me because it has an ipod on it" phrase I keep reading. Really are ipods an embarrassment? Last I checked Apple was pretty much in the here and now with all there products. I don't get it I guess. Maybe I can start a new trend and say things like "I wont vote for this because it has sleeves". "i would vote for this design if it didn't have _______. You fill in the blank with anything popular in a design.


Not everyone likes or owns Ipods, nor do most people want to be walking ads. Even though I'd personally wear the design (as I use an Ipod myself and enjoy it), I can understand that some people don't want to do free advertising for a product that they may or may not like.

paulkremer


quality posts: 4 Private Messages paulkremer
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


I've had hangups about Ramy's designs in the last few weeks, but a BIG two thumbs up here. This is extremely well illustrated, and the point comes across easily! I absolutely love how 3D the drawing looks, thanks to the 3 separate layers of lighting! The monitor, the hat, and the skull are superbly lit and 3-dimensional! Kudos sir!

cimihighlander


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cimihighlander
koronae wrote:Not everyone likes or owns Ipods, nor do most people want to be walking ads. Even though I'd personally wear the design (as I use an Ipod myself and enjoy it), I can understand that some people don't want to do free advertising for a product that they may or may not like.


Well good thing that's it's clearly not an iPod. The headphone jack is on the wrong side, and when was the last time you saw an iPod with a skull instead of a middle button. (and before everyone out there who lacks a sense of humor jumps on me, i'm saying that in jest)

Also, the addition of the "music playing devise" will not make you a walking ad. The last thing someone who looks at you wearing that shirt will say or think is "Oh, I see you like iPod's". Most likely people will say "cool shirt" and never give it a second thought. Peoples lives don't revolve around the shirt you put on today. get over yourself.

My Woot Count:
Bags o' Crap: 1
Woot: 6
Sellout.Woot:1
Shirt.Woot: 7
Wine.Woot: 1

houstontexasbassist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages houstontexasbassist
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Naughty wooters using the word "chibi," out of context. If you don't know the language you are trying to use, then don't try and use that language to describe it. "Cutesy," fits, but that isn't what "chibi," means.

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
cimihighlander wrote:Well good thing that's it's clearly not an iPod. The headphone jack is on the wrong side, and when was the last time you saw an iPod with a skull instead of a middle button. (and before everyone out there who lacks a sense of humor jumps on me, i'm saying that in jest)

Also, the addition of the "music playing devise" will not make you a walking ad. The last thing someone who looks at you wearing that shirt will say or think is "Oh, I see you like iPod's". Most likely people will say "cool shirt" and never give it a second thought. Peoples lives don't revolve around the shirt you put on today. get over yourself.


Get over myself? Did you read my comment at all really? I said that I liked the design and I enjoy Ipods, I even went as far to say that I would WEAR it. I'm just stating that there are legitimately good reasons for people not liking what looks to be an Ipod on their shirt. Despite what you may think, I'm sure a number of people would mention the "Ipod" if I wore this shirt. I'm sure many of my friends and relatives would, actually. So to act like nobody would ever mention it? Not flying with me. Again, I reiterate, I do like the design very much, I just get why some people dislike the "Ipod".

Tabernack


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tabernack
houstontexasbassist wrote:Naughty wooters using the word "chibi," out of context. If you don't know the language you are trying to use, then don't try and use that language to describe it. "Cutesy," fits, but that isn't what "chibi," means.


Not everyone speaks moon but I think that is hardly the case here. The point still stands.

AKrotkov


quality posts: 1 Private Messages AKrotkov
houstontexasbassist wrote:Naughty wooters using the word "chibi," out of context. If you don't know the language you are trying to use, then don't try and use that language to describe it. "Cutesy," fits, but that isn't what "chibi," means.


Overly large head, small body, child-like features? The term fits.

I do like this shirt. I voted and will likely buy it if it prints. The ipod doesn't really matter to me.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mirlyn wrote:Ok... lol... The skeleton is also obviously alive and downloading music with a bird on his shoulder. I'm sorry, when did these things occur in real life as well? I don't think the artist was going for realism and to nitpick the layout of the anatomy is kinda silly. lol. But you did make me giggle so thanks!


OΜG! This is a skeleton? I thought this was some new fad in anime! inanime!
I guess that explains the lack of a lower jaw! I just thought the kid had a really slack, open-mouthed zone out thing going, so we couldn't see his lower jaw.
Truly, was it on purpose to make the skull so misshapen that it looks like some parody of a molded plastic toy skull? It's not like we aren't all very familiar with the rough shape of a skull. This thing really isn't cute, it's grotesque. I think the really flat plane of front teeth and the teeeny nose is what got me. Ramy's gonna fаil Gross Anatomy big time! They expect you to know these things! :^0

mik991


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mik991

Lol, now I'm going to have to wake up early on friday to buy this.

marmls2m


quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m

why has nobody mentioned the incredibly bizarre angle of the ipod? unless its propped up on something or trapezoid shaped, it looks like he just slapped it in there


goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:This was March 16th, 2009. Not even half a month ago. Guess those two weeks without a win really hurt.


Hey, now! Give credit where credit is due. Instead of a dead-eyed kawaii animal or hoofman, he went with just plain dead. That's different.
LEAVE RAMYB ALOOOOOOOONE!!

DavidShenoda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages DavidShenoda
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


It's so you, without being you if that makes any sense. I like to see you "stretching" yourself from your usual bright eyed bushy tailed bag of tricks. A little wrinkle now and then is refreshing is what an old art teacher I had used to call it. Good luck with this.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Why is he dead? I get that he's a "pirate". But why a dead one?

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

heartluce wrote:Why is he dead? I get that he's a "pirate". But why a dead one?


Because it's "CUTE"!! Stop questioning, heartluce! Stop being all logical 'n' stuff! A dead, malformed, baby pirate has been reanimated by the Swashbuckling Gods so as to obtain music on the net-ical seas. Clearly there are not enough rockin' sea chanties in the afterlife. I mean, like, honey, duuuuuuh. Why do you hate simple, no-point-at-all-except-for-maximum-kiddie-"look at me! I am suuuuch a cool nerd!"-cuteness fun, heartluce, huh? Why?


((Edited for proper writing-to-a-female-ness.))

gabebster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gabebster

This shirt is very booshtastic.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
goldenthorn wrote:Because it's "CUTE"!! Stop questioning, heartluce! Stop being all logical 'n' stuff! A dead, malformed, baby pirate has been reanimated by the Swashbuckling Gods so as to obtain music on the net-ical seas. Clearly there are not enough rockin' sea chanties in the afterlife. I mean, like, bro, duuuuuuh. Why do you hate simple, no-point-at-all-except-for-maximum-kiddie-"look at me! I am suuuuch a cool nerd!"-cuteness fun, heartluce, huh? Why?


:D Quality post. But, I'm a she :D. Still, good stuff.

Though, I really am still curious about this.

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp
marmls2m wrote:why has nobody mentioned the incredibly bizarre angle of the ipod? unless its propped up on something or trapezoid shaped, it looks like he just slapped it in there


He did just slap it there. If you'll notice his 1st shirt submission was rejected. So he re-submiteed his shirt design by adding an iPod and some musical notes. He did a pretty decent job with it considering the turn around time it took. And he'll probably fix this in the final shirt design if it wins.

LenCar25


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LenCar25
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


I Severely Dislike that this shirt is on a dark background but the its an awesome shirt still and it really wouldn't work on any other color background.

mirlyn


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mirlyn
LenCar25 wrote:I Severely Dislike that this shirt is on a dark background but the its an awesome shirt still and it really wouldn't work on any other color background.



Really? That's one of my favorite things about this shirt, I think it looks really good on the dark background.

knwldg0010


quality posts: 0 Private Messages knwldg0010
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


The zune never gets any love.

goosiedragon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages goosiedragon
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


this is so cute, but don't you guys already have enough pirate shirts?

Scooter1116


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Scooter1116
goosiedragon wrote:this is so cute, but don't you guys already have enough pirate shirts?


Never have enough pirate shirts

CSMatt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CSMatt
theghotiman wrote:So, a skull kid is surfing the net and listening to his ipod and this related to music how? Is it because of the few notes in front of the skull's face? I assume those are coming from the computer and not the ipod. (Which makes me wonder why the sound is turned up on the computer.) And since when are random sounds or a few notes music? My computer dings and beeps at me, but it isn't music. Nor does it represent music. It's just sound.

The only thing that makes this anywhere close to being on theme is the title and that's just not enough. For example, if I was to submit a design depicting a scene of war it wouldn't be on topic. And if I titled it "The Battle Hymn" it still wouldn't be on topic, even though the title clearly references music. It may be a nice design, but it isn't following the rules, it's just trying to circumvent them.

I appreciate that many of you like it, but don't stretch and try reason this to be on theme, because it isn't.


I disagree. Very much of art is about interpretation. That's why so many people say art is anything.

So Ramy tends to take a theme and step outside the proverbial box? How is that out of theme? Woot intentionally doesn't constrain their artists that much so they allow for creativity. I see headphones, music notes, a music bandanna(which no one would wear unless they're really into music), and a life/death theme.

Looks on topic to me. Of course I first look at the theme, scope out the submissions, and then look closely at designs. If I can say to myself, "Yea I could see the theme." Then I'm set.

mitchellp


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mitchellp

I think he's listening to theme song of his pirated version of Pirates of the Caribbean

dssote


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dssote
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


As much as I like this design, I'm surprised it's in the fog. There are so many awesome designs this week that really convey the music theme so well. While I do think this falls within the music theme, I find it says more about mp3 players than it does about music. As a musician, I just can't vote for it. Nice work, anyway, though.

grayehound


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grayehound
theghotiman wrote:So, a skull kid is surfing the net and listening to his ipod and this related to music how? Is it because of the few notes in front of the skull's face? I assume those are coming from the computer and not the ipod. (Which makes me wonder why the sound is turned up on the computer.) And since when are random sounds or a few notes music? My computer dings and beeps at me, but it isn't music. Nor does it represent music. It's just sound.

The only thing that makes this anywhere close to being on theme is the title and that's just not enough. For example, if I was to submit a design depicting a scene of war it wouldn't be on topic. And if I titled it "The Battle Hymn" it still wouldn't be on topic, even though the title clearly references music. It may be a nice design, but it isn't following the rules, it's just trying to circumvent them.

I appreciate that many of you like it, but don't stretch and try reason this to be on theme, because it isn't.




Aren't themes open to artistic interpretation, or does every design have to fall within a narrow interpretation of The Law to satisfy the critics? Artists, by nature, look for the edges of acceptable and push on it to see how far things can go. I kinda doubt this design is an overt attempt to do that, it's more a re-purposing of a prior design to fit in the theme, but it still challenges what the theme is about and that's not a bad thing. Judging that this design isn't "on topic" is just silly, but then again we aren't the ones to make that judgement, are we?.

On a side note, you can still buy a few of the large and smaller sizes of this same idea on threadless.

Shoppingdingo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shoppingdingo
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


its a great pic.. but look at it from more than five feet.. the ipod looks like a mouse.. its a skeleton playing cod..
the shirt is about the act of downloading.. not music

a fine editors choice. but not quite on the topic

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
re: music pirate (resub)


Last derby, I was upset with your design because I didn't feel it was any more on topic than my submission had been, and seeing v1 rejected did make a wee bit happy to see that you are, in fact, a real person, but they did have a good point that there really wasn't any direct music reference (a pun is a pun but when I make references to 1950s scifi, it nots necessarily obvious, like music pirating isn't necessarily obvious) but with the music notes, yes, it is now ON TOPIC (many shirts have ONLY music notes and are on topic, so a single music note IS enough to consider it on topic)...

...so it's nice to see a good design and you have my vote this time!

KUClerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KUClerks
knwldg0010 wrote:The zune never gets any love.


I know right?!?! <3<3 my zune. Lol, mine's named Zena.

sdsnowbrdr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdsnowbrdr

I like some of the elements of this shirt but the missing jaw really bugs me.

meh3884


quality posts: 25 Private Messages meh3884
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


eeeh. pirate + charcoal + not really music? = meh.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

albinoapple


quality posts: 2 Private Messages albinoapple
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


idk what's up with everyone else the play on words was obvious to me. =/

Stormink


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


For someone in a medical program its surprising how little Ramyb seems to know about anatomy. And a little scary for me seeing as I live near where he goes to school and might soon be practicing...

marmls2m


quality posts: 2 Private Messages marmls2m
mitchellp wrote:He did just slap it there. If you'll notice his 1st shirt submission was rejected. So he re-submiteed his shirt design by adding an iPod and some musical notes. He did a pretty decent job with it considering the turn around time it took. And he'll probably fix this in the final shirt design if it wins.


thats not my point. my point is it looks like Gigli (2003)


ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Stormink wrote:For someone in a medical program its surprising how little Ramyb seems to know about anatomy. And a little scary for me seeing as I live near where he goes to school and might soon be practicing...


I can never tell if people are just trying to be obnoxious in making comments about anatomy on a picture like this, or if you truly believe that I think that people have 4 teeth and no bottom jaw. And either way, your comment especially doesn't make sense, because you don't go to a doctor to have him tell you about your body proportions or to change the size of the nasal cavity in your skull. Either way though, if you are legitimately concerned, know that you may rest at ease for a while because I'm still an undergrad.

Jacobxx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jacobxx

Long time lurker but I have to say... WIN!

mukarram1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mukarram1
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


THIS IS AWESOME!!

~~MA4~~

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
ramyb wrote:I can never tell if people are just trying to be obnoxious in making comments about anatomy on a picture like this, or if you truly believe that I think that people have 4 teeth and no bottom jaw. And either way, your comment especially doesn't make sense, because you don't go to a doctor to have him tell you about your body proportions or to change the size of the nasal cavity in your skull. Either way though, if you are legitimately concerned, know that you may rest at ease for a while because I'm still an undergrad.


Well, ramy, I wasn't kidding when I said that it just looked weird to me, that the person the skull belongs to wouldn't look cute at all, just freakish.
I'm really not concerned about you being in med school- you certainly have the relentlessness that the med students all have, the drive. Whether you have the ability to memorize, and take the criticisms that will come is not something visible from an online t-shirt contest, but you sure get a lot of guppy from people, and only occasionally do you blow up; I wish I were better at that. You're "still an undergrad", but someone posted a link to your dorm room a while back, and it was from 3 years ago, so you must be about to graduate- good luck with your interviews, and I certainly wouldn't be reticent about pointing out the success you've had doing this, the interviewers really like to see evidence that their students can be successful and versatile, and aren't just memorizing machines.


As far as the design goes, it is certainly on-topic. Apparently it is original enough that woot ain't gonna reject it, though they've rejected things far less similar than that pirate skull with headphones picture that someone posted.
I despise the style, as you probably know, but it sure works. luck to you.

The Tim


quality posts: 31 Private Messages The Tim
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


When I first saw this design I realized that it was a shoo-in for 1st place in this derby.

When I checked back today and noticed it had been re-submitted, I figured it was one of those cases where the artist decides to improve the design slightly based on comment feedback. I was shocked to find out that anyone would have thought the design was off-theme.

It is difficult for me to imagine someone (under 40) looking at this shirt and not immediately "getting" that it's a music pirate.

In any case, great design. It will be a pretty lame move IMO if Woot rejects it again.

masterkraig


quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
grayehound wrote:On a side note, you can still buy a few of the large and smaller sizes of this same idea on threadless.


It slightly shocks me this hasn't been rejected for being too similar, I've seen shirts on here that are less similar to another shirt yet get rejected because it has a similar "artistic idea".

Notably, this one also by ramyb, rejected because it was too similar to this.

ramy's Mayflower Mayhem was clearly executed much better, but it was still rejected due to similarities.

Food for thought.

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

davengvar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davengvar
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Love the design, ideas, colors, the way it was executed, the details - good job.

The world is a business, Mr. Beale. It has been since man crawled out of the slime.

tonymontana444


quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444
koronae wrote:There certainly are other artists that cash in on the cute theme here. Sekiyoku for instance. Both of them usually end up in the fog as well. Having multiple cute shirts win is fairly disappointing for me, as I generally won't buy them. When it comes to style, nobody is style locked. If you look up any information on Ramy and see the art he did before he started his anime styled art, you'd be surprised. It's actually very good and artistic. He is very capable as an artist, but it's pretty obvious he cashes in on his ability to do cute anime styled stuff. I don't see a problem with telling an artist that I'd be more inclined to buy their work if it was different. I also think comparing graphic art and illustration to music is a bit unfair, as an extremely defined style in music is what tends to make bands very successful. In art, being able to do different styles is pretty beneficial.

As for not having anything nice to say, I clearly did. Go back and reread my comment. I did say I liked the concept and coloring, but it was the cute factor that didn't work for me. I think it's sort of rude to tell people not to give their opinions just because they are unpopular.


QFT

illuminator


quality posts: 0 Private Messages illuminator
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Dammit you're going to make me buy another shirt of yours!!! STOP!

yogs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogs
masterkraig wrote:It slightly shocks me this hasn't been rejected for being too similar, I've seen shirts on here that are less similar to another shirt yet get rejected because it has a similar "artistic idea".

Notably, this one also by ramyb, rejected because it was too similar to this.

ramy's Mayflower Mayhem was clearly executed much better, but it was still rejected due to similarities.

Food for thought.


I totally understand that different people can have the same idea when it comes to a particular theme, hence the reason why I didn't scream bloody murder when I saw your design and run quickly to tattle. People are to busy trying to get their designs done and posted, rather than checking the derby constantly to see if anyone else had a similar idea. It is only those who purposefully see someone else's idea and "copy" it that pose a problem. But even then, if they can feel good at night knowing they did that, well then fate will intervine at some point.


ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


love pirates , hate this design. I want to tell people I love music, not steal it.

arcsus


quality posts: 4 Private Messages arcsus
ChefRAZ wrote:love pirates , hate this design. I want to tell people I love music, not steal it.


Yay, finally someone I can agree with! Well said.

EDIT: I just saw another one. Good to know I'm not the only one that feels that way. Thanks!

dijin wrote:I'm not a fan of pirates nor do I want people misinterpreting that I like to pirate music nor do I like the ipod in the design. So not for me.

ChefRAZ


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
AdderXYU wrote:This was March 16th, 2009. Not even half a month ago. Guess those two weeks without a win really hurt.


LOMFL LOMFL

mrgodly


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrgodly

amazing

theghotiman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages theghotiman
CSMatt wrote:I disagree. Very much of art is about interpretation. That's why so many people say art is anything.

So Ramy tends to take a theme and step outside the proverbial box? How is that out of theme? Woot intentionally doesn't constrain their artists that much so they allow for creativity. I see headphones, music notes, a music bandanna(which no one would wear unless they're really into music), and a life/death theme.

Looks on topic to me. Of course I first look at the theme, scope out the submissions, and then look closely at designs. If I can say to myself, "Yea I could see the theme." Then I'm set.


grayehound wrote:Aren't themes open to artistic interpretation, or does every design have to fall within a narrow interpretation of The Law to satisfy the critics? Artists, by nature, look for the edges of acceptable and push on it to see how far things can go. I kinda doubt this design is an overt attempt to do that, it's more a re-purposing of a prior design to fit in the theme, but it still challenges what the theme is about and that's not a bad thing. Judging that this design isn't "on topic" is just silly, but then again we aren't the ones to make that judgement, are we?.


First of all, Adder I am sorry for doubting you on the multiple accounts thing. More and more it is looking like you're right. Please accept my apologies.

CSMatt, art isn't anything and anybody who says so doesn't know what art is. While art may be subjective, it is not all encompassing. (For example, this post is not art.) Stepping out of the box (as you put it) is not off theme nor should it be immediate cause for rejection. Rather, the tenuous hold onto the theme is what should be cause for rejection. Subtle references aside, awkwardly slapping music notation into an already worked piece is not on theme. And I'll be honest, I don't see how "a life/death theme" fits in with music, but that could just be beyond me.

grayehound, most of what I could have said to you I just said to CSMatt, so please apply it accordingly. Instead, I'd like to address a bigger issue. This design isn't art. It may look a lot like the art that you and I have come to know and love, but it isn't it. It is a poor imitation of art. It strives to say something (anything!), but ultimately it is just mildly interesting to look at (and even that is pushing it). This can best be described as a graphic design. Something done purely for profit. There is no message to be gleaned. It's just there to be looked at. Maybe if you have enough people look at it while you wear it, they'll think you're clever (but I doubt that). But nobody will think you're wearing art.

mirlyn


quality posts: 2 Private Messages mirlyn
theghotiman wrote:First of all, Adder I am sorry for doubting you on the multiple accounts thing. More and more it is looking like you're right. Please accept my apologies.

CSMatt, art isn't anything and anybody who says so doesn't know what art is. While art may be subjective, it is not all encompassing. (For example, this post is not art.) Stepping out of the box (as you put it) is not off theme nor should it be immediate cause for rejection. Rather, the tenuous hold onto the theme is what should be cause for rejection. Subtle references aside, awkwardly slapping music notation into an already worked piece is not on theme. And I'll be honest, I don't see how "a life/death theme" fits in with music, but that could just be beyond me.

grayehound, most of what I could have said to you I just said to CSMatt, so please apply it accordingly. Instead, I'd like to address a bigger issue. This design isn't art. It may look a lot like the art that you and I have come to know and love, but it isn't it. It is a poor imitation of art. It strives to say something (anything!), but ultimately it is just mildly interesting to look at (and even that is pushing it). This can best be described as a graphic design. Something done purely for profit. There is no message to be gleaned. It's just there to be looked at. Maybe if you have enough people look at it while you wear it, they'll think you're clever (but I doubt that). But nobody will think you're wearing art.



Art is in the eye of the beholder. If I look at the shirt and view it as artistic, then it is art. There are many definitions of art and this definitely fits into one. I personally don't find catsup splattered all over a wall in a gallery artistic but someone does - and they call it art. Graphic design is art and that is why art institutes such as SCAD offer graphic design programs? KWIM?

KaylaJ


quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


maybe someone has answered this already, but what's with the hat?

KaylaJ


quality posts: 22 Private Messages KaylaJ
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


and since it won't let me edit, anyone else think it looks like the punisher?

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
mirlyn wrote:Art is in the eye of the beholder. If I look at the shirt and view it as artistic, then it is art. There are many definitions of art and this definitely fits into one. I personally don't find catsup splattered all over a wall in a gallery artistic but someone does - and they call it art. Graphic design is art and that is why art institutes such as SCAD offer graphic design programs? KWIM?


"art is subjective" is the only argument more abused at this site than "the customer is always right". Both are true to a point. But both are untrue past a point. There are limits to everything.

I will postulate that once art exists ONLY for mass production, it stops being art. Full stop. And you can tell the difference. Every shirt here is up for voting in hopes of making a profit off of it, but there is a distinct difference between wanting to make money off your art, and wanting to make art for money. And the latter is NEVER art. I don't care how much you love it. I don't care how many you buy. It is not art. Art needs to come from passion and creativity and honesty. These are concepts with real definitions... art has a real definition... and some things will fall outside it and never be it, no matter how much you argue, just like, no matter how much you argue, you won't be able to exchange an opened CD for a brand new one, unless you are getting another, non-defective copy of the opened one. Or black iPod buds.

PhilSandifer


quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer
AdderXYU wrote:"art is subjective" is the only argument more abused at this site than "the customer is always right". Both are true to a point. But both are untrue past a point. There are limits to everything.

I will postulate that once art exists ONLY for mass production, it stops being art. Full stop.


I can grant that.

there is a distinct difference between wanting to make money off your art, and wanting to make art for money. And the latter is NEVER art.


Ah, but that I can't grant, as it's a completely different thing. I will grant that art has a motivation besides profit. But the desire to make a profit via art does not invalidate art. If it did, anyone who chose to engage in creative pursuits professionally would be invalidated as an artist. Which, um, no.

[quote]
Art needs to come from passion and creativity and honesty. These are concepts with real definitions... /quote]

Erm, no. Those are concepts with enormously fluid definitions. Much like art. Your crass and blunt definitions of art - coming from someone whose own shirt designs show a staggering lack of skill - amount to little more than "things I dislike are not art."

Which is the lamest definition of art of all.

draculya


quality posts: 0 Private Messages draculya
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


You really need to change away from the "cutesy anime-ish" art style... I'll be the first to admit that I bought 1 or 2 of your prints but my God man... show your talent.

Design something that isn't so... "chibi"... its too "safe." Take a risk.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
PhilSandifer wrote:Ah, but that I can't grant, as it's a completely different thing. I will grant that art has a motivation besides profit. But the desire to make a profit via art does not invalidate art. If it did, anyone who chose to engage in creative pursuits professionally would be invalidated as an artist. Which, um, no.


Since you've proven every time you open your mouth that you have no concept of art, it's not really surprising that you'd be wrong here.

The most important thing here is that you start off wrong in general, arguing that "the desire to make a profit via art does not invalidate art". Which I said. But if that is your only desire when making "art," it does. Which is what I actually said. Everyone wants to profit off what they love. But where art is concerned, if you do not love it, if you don't love the creation and love the inspiration and want that spark so badly that making a profit is a nice perk, then you are not an artist. You are a drawer, or a sculptor, or whatever, but you are not making art. And believing otherwise says nothing flattering about you. Art isn't about skill. It's about the intangibles. Nothing in the fog has that. Pretending otherwise exposes your ignorance.

CSMatt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CSMatt
theghotiman wrote:
CSMatt, art isn't anything and anybody who says so doesn't know what art is. While art may be subjective, it is not all encompassing. (For example, this post is not art.) Stepping out of the box (as you put it) is not off theme nor should it be immediate cause for rejection. Rather, the tenuous hold onto the theme is what should be cause for rejection. Subtle references aside, awkwardly slapping music notation into an already worked piece is not on theme.


I don't know how to say this another way but I was taught differently. There were a ton of people who said a lot of what Damien Hirst does isn't art. People do their own thing and anyone can be an artist as long as they are creative. That's why art is so very hard to define.

Let's be fair too. It's not like Ramy slapped a music note on a t-shirt. It took some thought, time, and expression to do this. Who's to say that Ramy couldn't take a picture of a bird paint and decorate it differently and it couldn't match nearly every woot theme? Artists have proven that one thing slightly modified can be something else.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
CSMatt wrote:Artists have proven that one thing slightly modified can be something else.


people who have no respect for art have validated people who call slightly modified things original art. It is not. I cannot make a tree a bird just by saying so.

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
AdderXYU wrote:Since you've proven every time you open your mouth that you have no concept of art, it's not really surprising that you'd be wrong here.

The most important thing here is that you start off wrong in general, arguing that "the desire to make a profit via art does not invalidate art". Which I said. But if that is your only desire when making "art," it does. Which is what I actually said. Everyone wants to profit off what they love. But where art is concerned, if you do not love it, if you don't love the creation and love the inspiration and want that spark so badly that making a profit is a nice perk, then you are not an artist. You are a drawer, or a sculptor, or whatever, but you are not making art. And believing otherwise says nothing flattering about you. Art isn't about skill. It's about the intangibles. Nothing in the fog has that. Pretending otherwise exposes your ignorance.


You can argue any way you want, but if this is really the definition that you are going to use to define what makes an artist, then the fact that I was into art for 7 years before ever making a penny from it puts me in that category. If I didn't enjoy entering the derby every week, I'd just leave, profit or not.

dealmaster00


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dealmaster00
AdderXYU wrote:Since you've proven every time you open your mouth that you have no concept of art, it's not really surprising that you'd be wrong here.

The most important thing here is that you start off wrong in general, arguing that "the desire to make a profit via art does not invalidate art". Which I said. But if that is your only desire when making "art," it does. Which is what I actually said. Everyone wants to profit off what they love. But where art is concerned, if you do not love it, if you don't love the creation and love the inspiration and want that spark so badly that making a profit is a nice perk, then you are not an artist. You are a drawer, or a sculptor, or whatever, but you are not making art. And believing otherwise says nothing flattering about you. Art isn't about skill. It's about the intangibles. Nothing in the fog has that. Pretending otherwise exposes your ignorance.


uhh even if your statement "Nothing in the fog has that (intangibles)," is true, so what? people vote for what they want to wear, not what is intangible or not.

peace

tony

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
dealmaster00 wrote:uhh even if your statement "Nothing in the fog has that (intangibles)," is true, so what? people vote for what they want to wear, not what is intangible or not.

peace

tony


I think his "so what," even if I disagree, is that those people are not artists, and thus, their work is not art. Illustrators and illustrations, designers and designs, etc. he would probably concede, but artists and art, probably not.

hijimmy5


quality posts: 3 Private Messages hijimmy5
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


gmv, the headphones look like my skullcandy pair.

soulxside


quality posts: 1 Private Messages soulxside

Great design, but I'm not jazzed about the shirt color... it's all too dark.

tabrazinski


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tabrazinski
eddie22487 wrote:Definitely has my vote. I love it. I don't really download music, because I don't listen to that much anyways. But definitely don't agree with all the hype people are making about pirating it. I'm totally fine with that. Not every pirate is a legitimate sale. If I download music, I'm definitely not going to otherwise spend my money on it.

Love it.


....you know you can't vote, right?

linkszelda


quality posts: 0 Private Messages linkszelda
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


even though you go for the cutesy aspect of things, ramy, you really need to work on getting some anatomy lessons for non-humans. animals and apparently skeletons. i don't like a few of your shirts simply because the creature looks odd. the style, fine, but i have had enough of it...concept and colors usually work nicely and i applaud you for them. but i can't buy a pirating skeleton if their skull makes them look like a bucktoothed child. and if his teeth were longer, he'd look like whats-his-face from the last Pirates of the Caribbean.

CSMatt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CSMatt
AdderXYU wrote:people who have no respect for art have validated people who call slightly modified things original art. It is not. I cannot make a tree a bird just by saying so.


I suppose that my comment could have been taken that far but it wasn't intended as such. My meaning was to take something, use creativity and make it something else.

I might have a hard time considering a can of soup art but Andy Warhol sure made a good living out of things like that.
http://www.globalgallery.com/enlarge/022-31170/

I just have a very open perspective on art. Maybe it's because I went to a liberal arts school where they took the extreme on everything. A lot of the time I felt like they went to far for me. They did succeed in pushing my boundaries.

Many posters are guilty of, including myself, stating something as fact rather than opinion. There is a grave difference in saying,"This is not art" and saying, "I don't think this is art". That extends to things being on topic too. Unless it clearly breaks a rule I find it hard to state these things as fact.

tehooper


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tehooper
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


Love the design, in for one, but I agree the skull should be less 'chibi'.

Also I think it would be a funnier shirt if it was a full-blown living pirate a-la Long John Silver on the internets. Being an undead pirate is the only thing that doesn't make sense in the musical context.

knwldg0010


quality posts: 0 Private Messages knwldg0010
KUClerks wrote:I know right?!?! <3<3 my zune. Lol, mine's named Zena.


yup, can't go a day w/o it. mine's the same as my username.

metalwolf


quality posts: 0 Private Messages metalwolf

in my mind, he has the skullcandy brand headphones. lolol pretty clever.

glacierice16


quality posts: 0 Private Messages glacierice16
Oldyeller89 wrote:While this shirt should have been on topic in the first place, I don't particularly like your addition to make it more on topic. Why wouldn't he just be listening to the music via his computer? I think it would be a lot better if you had a CD burner and a stack of cds on the desk (although I can see how that would clutter the picture).


It makes perfect sense for him to be plugged into his ipod. For one thing, when nature calls, he can keep on listening to bob marly while dropping the younglings off at the pool. Or, if he decides to go downstairs and grab another beer, the same logic applies. Also, when the FBI raids the house, he can grab his AK, hop out the window, and get to a strategically sound position to make his last stand, all while listening to "break stuff" by limp bizkit. I mean, if your going to go down, it might as well be listening to limp bizkit and papa roach. And who the hell burns cds anymore??? lol.

eegal3


quality posts: 4 Private Messages eegal3
Re: Music Pirate (resub)


I just wanted to say I am sorry I did not get on here to vote for this shirt. I really think it's great and I do agree that a "music pirate" fits within the theme.

I love shirts that you can understand without a title and have a bit of a pun to them. That's what my woot shirt collection consists of, so hopefully this one will be one of the top 3.

Good luck!

78LAYERS


quality posts: 0 Private Messages 78LAYERS
re: music pirate (resub)


fantastic work/technique. Really well done illustration

JCsurfsWOaBord


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JCsurfsWOaBord
re: music pirate (resub)


This is amazing, I really want one of these!

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail