Derby #92: Steampunk

Steamworks Operatica

Not a shirt color we offer.

Rejected because: Not a shirt color we offer.

add a comment

Comments

Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Hey everyone,

I wanted to set this up as a sort of "overall image" for a serial TV show, or even the cover of an RPG video game of the sorts.
I'm super excited to be able to do a steampunk design for you guys, and I gave this one everything I had. I hope you like it.

LINK TO LARGE COMPOSITION:
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss34/drakxxxshirts/largecomp-2.png

DETAIL 1:


DETAIL 2:


DETAIL 3:


DETAIL 4:


Thanks as always guys, and thanks woot for the awesome theme this week!


skirochester


quality posts: 4 Private Messages skirochester
Re: Steamworks Operatica


there was a lot of pressure on you this week! and I don't think you let anyone down. well done man

BootsBoots


quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: Steamworks Operatica


You didn't disappoint, Drakxxx.


kdubbs29


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Nice job! I wish I had half the illustrating talent that you have!

masterkraig


quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Congrats on the print :P

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

cobolisdead


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobolisdead
Re: Steamworks Operatica


So, did Woot PM you when they picked this theme to ask for your print ready file?

Nice job man!

You can ride with me, or you can find your own path. Don't stab me in the back after I've cleared the way.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Terrific! there's a bit of Cho in this design's feel.

jewelwing


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jewelwing
cobolisdead wrote:So, did Woot PM you when they picked this theme to ask for your print ready file?

Nice job man!


Ha! Yeah, I'm thinking you enjoyed this one. Nice work!

xaon


quality posts: 1 Private Messages xaon

Brilliant illustrative work, Drakxxx

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Very nice. Would love to see this on heather gray. Really having a strong aversion to asphalt right now and the gray would be more steamy.

braveBebe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages braveBebe
Re: Steamworks Operatica


0_0 amazing artistic skills! I like this!

buriedwreckage


quality posts: 0 Private Messages buriedwreckage
Re: Steamworks Operatica


I just knew this was yours the minute I saw it. I get the feeling this particular derby subject is right up your street. Excellent work!

BaldBob007


quality posts: 1 Private Messages BaldBob007
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Immaculate, as always... GMV!

elwayman02


quality posts: 2 Private Messages elwayman02
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Does anyone doubt that this is a first place entry?

So, Drakxxx, when are you going to submit the second and third place entries for this week?

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Yup. Pretty much what I've come to expect from you, Drakxxx.

So much to take in. Simply gorgeous!

Hengehog


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Hengehog
Re: Steamworks Operatica


This shirt is awesome, i only see one thing that i think is a little strange. The woman's leg looks just a little bit long. Other than that it is very cool

melite


quality posts: 0 Private Messages melite
Hengehog wrote:This shirt is awesome, i only see one thing that i think is a little strange. The woman's leg looks just a little bit long. Other than that it is very cool


I noticed her arm was odd and thought it was strange that the robots elbows were pointed in. I really love drakxxx's artwork and style, but this feels almost rushed to be able to push out other subs.

Great work as always, just my $0.02

Shirt.woot.com purchases: OMGcat, Let’s Play, Synthetic Beauty, Forget the Toys, I Want the Moon, Almost Human, Deforestation, Music is Life, Sunshine, 12 Angry Beasts, Lament of the Kiwi, Imposter, Spicing Things Up a Bit, The Original Blue Hedgehog
Woot.com purchases: Random guppy, Pure Digital Flip Ultra Series F260 Camcorder

fairnymph


quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Not themed as I'd hoped, but hey it's gorgeous nonetheless and seriously the ONLY thing so far worth a vote. Submit more!

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Before I type another word, I'd like to congratulate you for easily having the BEST representation of Steampunk in the entire derby.

With that said, this feels a bit too busy for me personally, and I likely wouldn't wear it. However, it is still a really great design and right now I can honestly say it is one of the only designs thus far that deserves to print. Great job on nailing the theme with a sledgehammer. Well done.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Great job Mr. Punk, er Steampunk. Beautiful artistry.

klawrence


quality posts: 1 Private Messages klawrence
Re: Steamworks Operatica


freakin gorgeous.
I want one.

lwitthoft


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lwitthoft

i like everything but the guy's face. sorry...

Anthony3419


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anthony3419
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Very Cool. Great Job!


Muntoe


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Muntoe
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Man this is radical, I really hope this one wins!

redskull11


quality posts: 0 Private Messages redskull11
Re: Steamworks Operatica


I really hope this one wins. Nice work.

Paradox55


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Paradox55

I absolutely love this one. Looking forward to adding this to my Drakxxx collection.

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: Steamworks Operatica

If this wins, I think it will be a buy for me. There's so much to look at!


hartjosiah


quality posts: 1 Private Messages hartjosiah

This is my first post on the woot site. Usually I can't be bothered. However, Draxxx has a great dark talent I think I'm beginning to get biased now. LOL

Anyways, I'll buy one, dang it.

isparabola


quality posts: 8 Private Messages isparabola
Re: Steamworks Operatica


I knew you'd come up with an awesome design for this derby drakxxx. This derby is totally made for your artistic style.

Good job.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

I'm looking forward to adding another shirt to my ever-growing Drakxxx collection!!!

I'd call first sucker for this one, but I don't condone such braggadocio. I'll definitely be buying this one, though!

bradyson


quality posts: 5 Private Messages bradyson
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Way to bring it Drakxxx!

LightSpiral


quality posts: 4 Private Messages LightSpiral
Re: Steamworks Operatica


This just exudes Steampunk. I love it Drakxxx! I'm digging the episode poster approach you took and there is something so captivating about the female character's expression.

GMV in big neon lights.

Like many others, I'm looking forward to adding another shirt to my ever-growing Drakxxx collection!!!

narkus


quality posts: 0 Private Messages narkus
Re: Steamworks Operatica


you sure are one hell of an artist!


Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Thank you to everyone for the kind words!

Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of a computer problem at the moment, so I'm posting from a friend's computer to let everyone know that I may not have any more submissions this week. I'm disappointed about this, obviously, but I thank everyone for their support, and I hope I can get this fixed soon.


heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Drakxxx, I really hope you get your computer working soon. Also, it is looking like this design which, to me, is the most steampunk of all may get bumped by that which is not. So, if you like it, vote please, people!

j2534a


quality posts: 0 Private Messages j2534a
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Drakxxx, i love you. i do. i bought nightmare Christmas, but this is not one of your best works.

Ryfiel


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ryfiel
Re: Steamworks Operatica


My only complaint? Asphalt. Seriously I can't get any more of that color...

sleepyplushie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleepyplushie
Re: Steamworks Operatica


I really hope this is in the top 3. I really really want to get this

lucky1988


quality posts: 20 Private Messages lucky1988
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Great illustration and colors! This theme is spot on for you. gmv

fifey157


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fifey157
Re: Steamworks Operatica


hm. the only true steampunk entry in this derby and it's no long in the fog. laem.

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

Not in the fog?

this is stinks!

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
Re: Steamworks Operatica

It saddens me that this is not in the fog. It also angers me when I look at most of what's currently in the fog. It's this kind of occurrence that makes me want to say "f" it and quit submitting, but I won't. Because I wouldn't want you to quit Drakxxx. Let's just give'em hell instead!! :P


mixer23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixer23
Re: Steamworks Operatica


It is entirely ridiculous that this was overtaken be seki's shirt... Though I think you should be back in the fog soon, as ramy's original submission looks to be falling. I'm actually getting angry about it this time... *sighs*

Migoto


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Migoto
Re: Steamworks Operatica


I like the idea, but the lines seem a little too rough... And i think it would go better in a brown shirt...

8 shirt.woots (and counting)

kinzoku


quality posts: 17 Private Messages kinzoku
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Isn't this on asphalt gray?

wmorrill


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmorrill
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Im pretty sure I own several shirts on this color purchased from woot... whats the deal here?

LTU99


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LTU99
theinfinityloop wrote:It saddens me that this is not in the fog. It also angers me when I look at most of what's currently in the fog. It's this kind of occurrence that makes me want to say "f" it and quit submitting, but I won't. Because I wouldn't want you to quit Drakxxx. Let's just give'em hell instead!! :P


This is exactly how I feel mr. loop. The current fog situation is fine for woot, as they know people will buy the seki/ramy shirts, regardless of how closely they adhere to the theme (an obviously living wolf with steam stacks shooting out of it's back is nowhere remotely close to steampunk..c'mon!).
The problem is, it is extremely frustrating for the lesser known designers when this goes on. It makes it very hard to justify submitting a laboriously designed shirt, when all you're really doing is locking your design in a vault for 2 months.
If there aren't some high vote getting rejections come monday, it seems that this may be the last straw for some people (at least for a week lol).

edit: Rejected?!??!?! This is stinks!

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Not a shirt color they offer??? what the freeking freek?????????????

katfin25


quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfin25
Re: Steamworks Operatica


ummm... asphalt?!!? seriously breadsticks

Do you like beer? Then check out
brewlimination.com

Do NOT EVER purchase Bella Terra Cosmetics!

barnstormeffect


quality posts: 0 Private Messages barnstormeffect
Re: Steamworks Operatica


looks like asphalt to me... hope this gets resubbed and back to the fog though, one of the only wearable shirts in this derby...

rglee129


quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: Steamworks Operatica


That stinks. I can tell you spent a lot of time on it. Resub- it's only Sunday!

mixer23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixer23
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Not a shirt color they offer? What in the heck is woot thinking? Freakin' reject the not steampunk seki if you wanna reject something! Rarrrr!

folkkevi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages folkkevi
Re: Steamworks Operatica


rejected... interesting..??

Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

I try not to get mad over things I have no control over, but this is VEEEEEERY frustrating!

I have no idea what the rejection decision is about, as it looks just like every other asphalt shirt they sell hundreds of thousands of.

If they're going to go crazy rejecting, they should also reject ramy's dog/robot design, as well as several other designs. No offense, ramy, because I really like some of your stuff, and even the other design you have in the fog, but that is just not steampunk IMO.

Please, Joel, resubmit this. Plenty of time, it's only Sunday.

sleepyplushie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleepyplushie
Re: Steamworks Operatica


I'm upset. Not only was this rejected but also it has fallen out of the fog. =( I was so looking to buying this.

Please please please resub!

AGrant311


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AGrant311
Re: Steamworks Operatica


I thought this was on asphalt! What is going on here?
Draxxx? Is this asphalt?

masterkraig


quality posts: 2 Private Messages masterkraig
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Wow woot, this is clearly Asphalt. Shafted.

bags bags bags bags bags. bags.
thanks for the support of "Sounds like Treble"!
www.craigwinslow.com

ramyb


quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Wow, this rejection is definitely BS- I wonder if someone was in a bad mood today. Either way, it's a very simple problem to fix drakxxx, just resubmit it with woot's asphalt color



The one on the left is the color you used, the one on the right is the "real" asphalt- a simple change is all it needs, I'm sure this design has plenty of time to get back its votes (As a sidenote, you should be careful with the shirt templates you use, I've noticed that most of them actually aren't accurate, but never realized it was something rejection-worthy - if you need help adjusting your templates, PM me)

melite


quality posts: 0 Private Messages melite
Re: Steamworks Operatica


This honestly didn't deserve to be in the fog to begin with. On top of the rejection, the amount of time Drakxxx put into this sub seemed to be 1/2 of what he would normally put it.

The only drawing looks rushed and I wouldn't believe that Drakxxx sub'd it, other than the fact it has his name on it.

If I were Drakxxx, I would resub fixing everything that was poorly drawn.

Shirt.woot.com purchases: OMGcat, Let’s Play, Synthetic Beauty, Forget the Toys, I Want the Moon, Almost Human, Deforestation, Music is Life, Sunshine, 12 Angry Beasts, Lament of the Kiwi, Imposter, Spicing Things Up a Bit, The Original Blue Hedgehog
Woot.com purchases: Random guppy, Pure Digital Flip Ultra Series F260 Camcorder

theinfinityloop


quality posts: 6 Private Messages theinfinityloop
melite wrote:This honestly didn't deserve to be in the fog to begin with. On top of the rejection, the amount of time Drakxxx put into this sub seemed to be 1/2 of what he would normally put it.

The only drawing looks rushed and I wouldn't believe that Drakxxx sub'd it, other than the fact it has his name on it.

If I were Drakxxx, I would resub fixing everything that was poorly drawn.

Is this person serious??? I don't know whether to get mad or laugh hysterically.


gizagiza


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gizagiza
melite wrote:This honestly didn't deserve to be in the fog to begin with. On top of the rejection, the amount of time Drakxxx put into this sub seemed to be 1/2 of what he would normally put it.

The only drawing looks rushed and I wouldn't believe that Drakxxx sub'd it, other than the fact it has his name on it.

If I were Drakxxx, I would resub fixing everything that was poorly drawn.


I've bought every single Draxxx shirt that has been printed since I joined in February, I love his stuff, but you know what, I'd totally have to agree with you. I found the design also to be extremely rushed.

On the other hand, it's BS that this got rejected while there are many others that haven't... some of which are in the fog and really don't have much (or anything) to do with Steampunk, imo.

chade2001


quality posts: 2 Private Messages chade2001
Re: Steamworks Operatica


this rejection is so messed up beyond belief! man, you got robbed big time! i'd be steamingly mad right now if this ever happened to me.

gone!

Drakxxx


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

I'm a bit confused by the rejection as well, for the simple fact that I've submitted quite a few designs on asphalt, including Battle Fungale which woot printed, using the same exact shirt template that appears in the composition for this one, without ever having a problem.

For the heck of it, I'm going to send the art director Barbara an email explaining as such.

In regards to the design looking rushed,I assure you, this design took me the better part of 12 hours to put together. I went back in forth with illustrating the drawing with sketchy lines, then more precise lines, and the final result feel somewhere in the middle, which could explain some of the more jagged lines seen in the piece.

I love doing what I do, and the support you guys show me every week is more than enough to keep me going here at woot, so I'll certainly be resubmitting this one with some changes, as well as a second design I've been working on for this contest. Please keep an eye out for it, and if you voted for it previously, I'd be most appreciative of your continued support.

Thanks again guys.


ankmet20


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
Drakxxx wrote:.
I love doing what I do, and the support you guys show me every week is more than enough to keep me going here at woot, so I'll certainly be resubmitting this one with some changes, as well as a second design I've been working on for this contest. Please keep an eye out for it, and if you voted for it previously, I'd be most appreciative of your continued support.

Thanks again guys.


that really embrangles it got rejected, but I'm glad you're going to submit it again. some of us want that shirt :P

leelaaa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages leelaaa
Re: Steamworks Operatica


i think someone in the woot staff seriously hates drakxxx, the only HM he has gotten in a long time was the collab with zenne, they don't answer his emails, never printed his daily and now are rejecting his design based on shirt color when there are lots of other people that have used the same template with no rejection...if i am not mistaken the template was woot approved at some point

if you want to do rejections please please reject all of the off topic designs, that would be great, if you could start with the fog that would be awesome

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
Drakxxx wrote:... and the support you guys show me every week is more than enough to keep me going here at woot...


I hope so, cause we would sure hate to lose you.

You definitely have our support. MORE DRAKXXX!! MORE DRAKXXX!!

2thFairy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages 2thFairy
leelaaa wrote: [...] if you want to do rejections please please reject all of the off topic designs, that would be great, if you could start with the fog that would be awesome


yessss!

mixer23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixer23
leelaaa wrote:i think someone in the woot staff seriously hates drakxxx, the only HM he has gotten in a long time was the collab with zenne, they don't answer his emails, never printed his daily and now are rejecting his design based on shirt color when there are lots of other people that have used the same template with no rejection...if i am not mistaken the template was woot approved at some point

if you want to do rejections please please reject all of the off topic designs, that would be great, if you could start with the fog that would be awesome


I wholly concur with that last part, and you could be on to something there... Though I'm not usually one to get into conspiracies and what not. However, I'm glad to hear that you'll definitely be sticking around, Drakxxx! You've become one of the designers I like best, and I applaud the way you've handled this current situation... I'd be way angry if I were you. In fact, I didn't put any work into this and I'm way angry!

gizagiza


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gizagiza
Drakxxx wrote:I love doing what I do, and the support you guys show me every week is more than enough to keep me going here at woot, so I'll certainly be resubmitting this one with some changes, as well as a second design I've been working on for this contest. Please keep an eye out for it, and if you voted for it previously, I'd be most appreciative of your continued support.


<3 Draxxx's stuff

mllemeranii


quality posts: 7 Private Messages mllemeranii
Re: Steamworks Operatica


I've been thinking of moving on from woot shirts (to put more attention into other shirt sites) for a long time now. This pretty much takes the cake. Woot, rejectionator, whoever, you seriously omgwin!. The fact that you reject this, for something as minute (come on, it was obviously asphalt) as this, when at least 2 shirts currently in the fog right now aren't even on theme says that you have no respect whatsoever for the artists, and care solely about money.

Drak, I hope you get this printed elsewhere, because I was definitely going to shell out 10$ (15$ if it sold out before I could get to it) next weekend. Let us know where we can find this!

stingray69


quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Drakxxx, your designs are the first ones I look for every derby. I voted for this, will vote for the resub, and will buy if it prints.

Stormink


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Just disgusting. Woot is a site that so blatantly doesn't care about the artist or artwork and runs purely for the money. They don't give a shhit if good art gets rejected for miniscule reasons and the same unoriginal off-topic guppy gets printed by Ramyb and Sekiyoku every week. Its really disgusting.

The whole idea of a one day contest just shows that they don't care to produce quality products. Most every design they print is drastically unresolved because the way they set up their contest demands it.

I guess the only thing that I'm glad about this rejection is that hopefully it makes other people see what, I felt, has been blatantly obvious for so long.

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
2thFairy wrote:Not a shirt color they offer??? what the freeking freek?????????????


WTBH?

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
mllemeranii wrote:I've been thinking of moving on from woot shirts (to put more attention into other shirt sites) for a long time now. This pretty much takes the cake. Woot, rejectionator, whoever, you seriously omgwin!. The fact that you reject this, for something as minute (come on, it was obviously asphalt) as this, when at least 2 shirts currently in the fog right now aren't even on theme says that you have no respect whatsoever for the artists, and care solely about money.

Drak, I hope you get this printed elsewhere, because I was definitely going to shell out 10$ (15$ if it sold out before I could get to it) next weekend. Let us know where we can find this!


Amen to your entire post. I would say more but I'm a bit too angry to.

SavedChristian


quality posts: 1 Private Messages SavedChristian
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Not a shirt color we offer? Asphalt? Since when does Woot not offer asphalt?

ankmet20


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
SavedChristian wrote:Not a shirt color we offer? Asphalt? Since when does Woot not offer asphalt?


It was a bad rejection...that's such an awesome design.

IndependentVik


quality posts: 11 Private Messages IndependentVik
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Worst. Rejection. Ever.

Hope you get a resub up soon, Drakxxx.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
Re: Steamworks Operatica


The shirt colour shown is quite a bit lighter than the actual asphalt; I noticed it immediately when I looked at the comp. Yes, it is clearly supposed to be asphalt, but I don't think it's a faulty rejection since they've been pretty consistent about it (aside from one or two major blips that I can recall). For one thing, the black ink as shown in this composition stands out far more than it would on an actual asphalt shirt. People need to be more careful with their templates.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

SavedChristian


quality posts: 1 Private Messages SavedChristian
eHalcyon wrote:The shirt colour shown is quite a bit lighter than the actual asphalt; I noticed it immediately when I looked at the comp. Yes, it is clearly supposed to be asphalt, but I don't think it's a faulty rejection since they've been pretty consistent about it (aside from one or two major blips that I can recall). For one thing, the black ink as shown in this composition stands out far more than it would on an actual asphalt shirt. People need to be more careful with their templates.


Another quality post perhaps? As Drakxxx pointed out, he used this same template for Battle Fungale which went to print! Therefore, it is a double standard on Woot's part.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
SavedChristian wrote:Another quality post perhaps? As Drakxxx pointed out, he used this same template for Battle Fungale which went to print! Therefore, it is a double standard on Woot's part.


I think that means that Drakxxx got a free pass on Battle Fungale when it actually should have been rejected. Also, the spot colours in Battle Fungale are less impacted by a lighter shirt comp than the colours in this design; the black stands out more on the lighter comp than it would on the correct colour.

My condolences to drakxxx though. I wasn't fond of the design, but I think it's better than the ones in the fog now. I'm happy to see Cho submitting and hope that he sticks around now, but I'm starting to empathize with the rejectionator when he originally banned flying penguins. I kind of wish the restriction was still in effect. Then the ramyb and sekiyoku designs... I like the butterfly design, but I don't think the colours will print very well. The other two are barely steampunk, if at all. Heh.

Oh, and another thing -

People are saying that this rejection shows that Woot is running "solely for the money". Say what? I don't see how one could come to that conclusion using this rejection as evidence. The design was in the top ten, so clearly Woot is NOT running purely for the money - if they were, they wouldn't be rejecting popular designs, would they?

The counter-argument is that, even though the design received many votes, it probably wouldn't appeal to the non-voting masses, so Woot is excising it to allow more mass-marketable designs to fog. However, that argument goes against what has become almost universally accepted by derby regulars - that the derby is geared towards unoriginal, pandering designs. One can argue that Woot is being overly nit-picky, and it *may* be possible to argue inconsistency (I personally think they've been pretty consistent, barring a few lapses). But if Woot is in it just for the money, this design is really a counter-example. If Woot was going for the cash, designs would only be rejected when it is on shaky legal ground (e.g. copyright infringement) or when something is clearly unprintable (crazy gradients, shirt colour most definitely not offered). A minor issue like this would have slid by.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
eHalcyon wrote:The shirt colour shown is quite a bit lighter than the actual asphalt; I noticed it immediately when I looked at the comp. Yes, it is clearly supposed to be asphalt, but I don't think it's a faulty rejection since they've been pretty consistent about it (aside from one or two major blips that I can recall). For one thing, the black ink as shown in this composition stands out far more than it would on an actual asphalt shirt. People need to be more careful with their templates.


If you noticed it right away, why didn't you say something, as, from what I've seen, you are incredibly observant, always talk about color and are usually very helpful. Also, I have seen no other rejections that were similar.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
heartluce wrote:If you noticed it right away, why didn't you say something, as, from what I've seen, you are incredibly observant, always talk about color and are usually very helpful. Also, I have seen no other rejections that were similar.


I actually thought that it was still minor enough that it wouldn't be rejected. I was afraid that if I said something, it might get rejected for a stupid reason - because I agree, it is a pretty stupid reason. I'm just playing devil's advocate above. And I still think that it's a valid rejection. Stupid, but valid.

Here's a similar rejection, from this very derby.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

heartluce


quality posts: 10 Private Messages heartluce
eHalcyon wrote:I actually thought that it was still minor enough that it wouldn't be rejected. I was afraid that if I said something, it might get rejected for a stupid reason - because I agree, it is a pretty stupid reason. I'm just playing devil's advocate above. And I still think that it's a valid rejection. Stupid, but valid.

Here's a similar rejection, from this very derby.


Look at the timing of the rejection on that one. Why wait till now for this one if they were so on about color? And, it seemed to make room for one of the two favored ones, putting three of theirs in the fog, not one of which I find on topic. If they had rejected it earlier, it would at least have made room for Loopy's on-topic design.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
heartluce wrote:Look at the timing of the rejection on that one. Why wait till now for this one if they were so on about color? And, it seemed to make room for one of the two favored ones, putting three of theirs in the fog, not one of which I find on topic. If they had rejected it earlier, it would at least have made room for Loopy's on-topic design.


I'm guessing you're looking at the comments to figure out the timing.

The most probable reason the rejection was late for this design is that it was in the fog. Fogged entries are always rejected later. I recall Joel saying that they actually needed to hold a meeting of some sort before rejecting a fogged design. Granted, it was no longer in the fog when it was rejected, but it was in the fog for the better part of the weekend.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Shameful double standards. I absolutely cannot believe this and I am OUTRAGED. I was hoping we'd get a derby of Drax, Cho, and someone else. Unfortunately it looks like we are getting a derby of Ramyb, Ramyb, and likely, Ramyb's girlfriend. I hope Cho places, seriously. You've been robbed Drax.

LTU99


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LTU99
koronae wrote:Shameful double standards. I absolutely cannot believe this and I am OUTRAGED. I was hoping we'd get a derby of Drax, Cho, and someone else. Unfortunately it looks like we are getting a derby of Ramyb, Ramyb, and likely, Ramyb's girlfriend. I hope Cho places, seriously. You've been robbed Drax.


shirtderbystats.com is estimating a cho win:
The Aviator (cho's pengiun) - 782
Synthetic Beauty (ramy's butterfly) - 583
Lets Play (ramy's laem robot) - 542
The Girl in Red (seki's wolf) - 417

Unless something really crazy happens, the top 3 are probably already set.



koronae


quality posts: 0 Private Messages koronae
LTU99 wrote:shirtderbystats.com is estimating a cho win:
The Aviator (cho's pengiun) - 782
Synthetic Beauty (ramy's butterfly) - 583
Lets Play (ramy's laem robot) - 542
The Girl in Red (seki's wolf) - 417

Unless something really crazy happens, the top 3 are probably already set.


Good. Most excellent. I plan on buying that Cho shirt if it places. :/ Drakxxx, if you resub, everyone I know who uses shirt.woot plans on revoting on you, and I will SURE AS HELL buy the shirt if it wins. Because frankly, even if I thought it was too busy. It captures what steampunk is better than 90% of the stuff that is in the derby.

avhienda01


quality posts: 0 Private Messages avhienda01
re: steamworks operatica


What is up with this rejection?? Seriously?

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
Re: Steamworks Operatica


So, I imagine this getting knocked down means we can't be eagerly expecting a Ramy or Seki design to fall from the top, right?

mrpenguin203


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrpenguin203
Re: Steamworks Operatica


why doesnt anybody just use the template provided by shirt.woot? then you wouldnt have any problems.

drainhts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drainhts
mrpenguin203 wrote:why doesnt anybody just use the template provided by shirt.woot? then you wouldnt have any problems.


The template he used was one Woot linked to as an approved template at the time he started contributing to the site, as I'm understanding it. That they changed their minds on this and decided this was the best possible way of informing him as such is hardly the fault of the creator.

alfbo


quality posts: 12 Private Messages alfbo
drainhts wrote:The template he used was one Woot linked to as an approved template at the time he started contributing to the site, as I'm understanding it. That they changed their minds on this and decided this was the best possible way of informing him as such is hardly the fault of the creator.


Guess woot's too busy counting their money to give a damn.

Imposter Pete was Unprepared for the Almost Human Nightmare Cuckoo Clock. The Walrus and Eggmen were the Height of Envy at the Monkey Bar. See the DJ spinning records on a Flora Phonograph while simultaneously playing Rock, Paper, Scissorhold.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
drainhts wrote:The template he used was one Woot linked to as an approved template at the time he started contributing to the site, as I'm understanding it. That they changed their minds on this and decided this was the best possible way of informing him as such is hardly the fault of the creator.


The template used here is NOT an "officially approved template". The only official template is the same cartoon drawing you see on the main shirt.woot page. "Real tee" templates, such as the one Drakxxx used here, are NOT official, although they are acceptable as long as the colour is represented correctly. This shirt template in particular is out of date; Cho's "wrinkly" shirt template is a much better representation.

I don't think the swatch was ever as light as the colour used in the background of this comp. If it was, it was in an extremely outdated version of the official template; when the new one was posted it was announced and everything. I'm pretty sure this happened before Drakxxx started submitting, unless I just never noticed his submissions until his Clockwork Orange entry.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

PhilSandifer


quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer

Regarding the debates on whether this should have been in the fog in the first place, I quite like Draxxx's style visually, though I find he can trend towards a certain saminess, particularly when the design doesn't push him off of that. His designs for Music and Trees were, frankly, among his strongest, because they pushed him to use his style cleverly.

For me, this one ends up too generic. It's a case of a derby perhaps being a bit too close to what he always does to quite work. Sort of like ramyb and sekiyoku would be a bit adrift in a "cute animals" derby, or BootsBoots would have some trouble with a "whimsical surrealism" derby.

Hoping Draxxx's second design has a bit more spark to it.

MadamAtom


quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
koronae wrote:Drakxxx, if you resub, everyone I know who uses shirt.woot plans on revoting on you, and I will SURE AS HELL buy the shirt if it wins.


What s/he said. And if you decide not to resub, please consider putting it up on your own site once that's legal.

fivestring


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fivestring

C'mon shirt.woot - this is laem. This was the best entry in the derby. The shirt is obviously asphalt.

bradyson


quality posts: 5 Private Messages bradyson
Re: Steamworks Operatica


shirt.woot confuses me.

o.O

drainhts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drainhts
eHalcyon wrote:The template used here is NOT an "officially approved template". The only official template is the same cartoon drawing you see on the main shirt.woot page. "Real tee" templates, such as the one Drakxxx used here, are NOT official, although they are acceptable as long as the colour is represented correctly. This shirt template in particular is out of date; Cho's "wrinkly" shirt template is a much better representation.

I don't think the swatch was ever as light as the colour used in the background of this comp. If it was, it was in an extremely outdated version of the official template; when the new one was posted it was announced and everything. I'm pretty sure this happened before Drakxxx started submitting, unless I just never noticed his submissions until his Clockwork Orange entry.


Okay, setting aside the discrepancy on the definition of the term "officially approved template" for a moment, this is a perfectly reasonable argument until one realizes that a submission this creator submitted, specifically THIS one:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24291

WAS printed, despite being on the "wrong" template.

You can argue that this "wasn't a valid template" all you want, but the point here is that Woot didn't care THEN, and only chose to start caring NOW, and that's bad form. It falls to those running the contest to inform people that they are doing something wrong BEFORE it causes the creator a problem, and frankly, they couldn't be bothered.

yogs


quality posts: 0 Private Messages yogs
Re: Steamworks Operatica


I am a big fan of Draxxx stuff. This is absurd, as everyone has stated. And, I know that I am sounding like a broken record, but there is another "fog" design that clearly violates the printable area rule. I think this is more blatant than Draxxx's color choice.

akumachan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages akumachan
Re: Steamworks Operatica




This is absolutely ridiculous!!!

the color is asphalt! how can this be rejected??

Even if it's slightly off, can't woot just alter the pantone color like they SAY they will do in the submission instructions.

This is very disappointing to say the least.

I really gotta think if I want to continue supporting this site by buying shirts. It may be time to go spend my 10-15 bucks elsewhere. It's a shame because there are some really great shirts to buy here. But integrity seems to be lacking.

-ac

Stormink


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Stormink
mrpenguin203 wrote:why doesnt anybody just use the template provided by shirt.woot? then you wouldnt have any problems.


Does this question really need a response?

How about because they look like garbage.

ankmet20


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ankmet20
Stormink wrote:Does this question really need a response?

How about because they look like garbage.


LOL nice answer

snarkygal


quality posts: 5 Private Messages snarkygal
eHalcyon wrote:The template used here is NOT an "officially approved template". The only official template is the same cartoon drawing you see on the main shirt.woot page. "Real tee" templates, such as the one Drakxxx used here, are NOT official, although they are acceptable as long as the colour is represented correctly. This shirt template in particular is out of date; Cho's "wrinkly" shirt template is a much better representation.

I don't think the swatch was ever as light as the colour used in the background of this comp. If it was, it was in an extremely outdated version of the official template; when the new one was posted it was announced and everything. I'm pretty sure this happened before Drakxxx started submitting, unless I just never noticed his submissions until his Clockwork Orange entry.


Oh shut up you little brown noser. How many times are you going to defend Woot for their stupid decisions? Anybody with a brain can see this design was supposed to be on asphalt.

Tiemannl


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tiemannl
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Drakxx fails again, muahahaha!

Victory!

hyuk hyuk hyuk, tacos rule!

drainhts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drainhts
Tiemannl wrote:Drakxx fails again, muahahaha!

Victory!


Hey look, Frank. Teeny-boppers. You like video games teeny-boppers? Your mommy give you quarters for video games?

jamescho84


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jamescho84
drainhts wrote:Hey look, Frank. Teeny-boppers. You like video games teeny-boppers? Your mommy give you quarters for video games?


Best response EVER

MaryESP


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaryESP
snarkygal wrote:Oh shut up you little brown noser. How many times are you going to defend Woot for their stupid decisions? Anybody with a brain can see this design was supposed to be on asphalt.


Since when is the imparting of information brown nosing?

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
snarkygal wrote:Oh shut up you little brown noser. How many times are you going to defend Woot for their stupid decisions? Anybody with a brain can see this design was supposed to be on asphalt.


Hey, I said it was a stupid rejection. Calm down, Ms. Snarky. I just don't feel like climbing on any bandwagons, is all. Maybe I should rethink my position.

Yes, Woot clearly only cares about the moneys. Obviously that is why they rejected a popular, on-theme, artistic design. Obviously.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
snarkygal wrote:Oh shut up you little brown noser. How many times are you going to defend Woot for their stupid decisions? Anybody with a brain can see this design was supposed to be on asphalt.


My thinking is that the rejection comes because some of the people who voted for it did so thinking that it would be that light grey silvery color instead of the darker color that asphalt actually is. Not good for woot when those persons buy it and find out that the shirt doesn't look like they expected- then they want their money back- "this isn't the color I voted for". This is a CYA rejection for the business side of woot, not a "Woot Hates the Artist" rejection, I think.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
drainhts wrote:Okay, setting aside the discrepancy on the definition of the term "officially approved template" for a moment, this is a perfectly reasonable argument until one realizes that a submission this creator submitted, specifically THIS one:

http://shirt.woot.com/Derby/Entry.aspx?id=24291

WAS printed, despite being on the "wrong" template.

You can argue that this "wasn't a valid template" all you want, but the point here is that Woot didn't care THEN, and only chose to start caring NOW, and that's bad form. It falls to those running the contest to inform people that they are doing something wrong BEFORE it causes the creator a problem, and frankly, they couldn't be bothered.


If you compare the colour used with the actual template colour, you can see that it's a pretty big difference. That Woot let it slide before is the problem, and it is GOOD form that they are fixing it now. If people were to be objective, I think they would agree that it is a good thing for Woot to tighten the reins. Using your own argument, just because Woot didn't care THEN, should we really be complaining that they are starting to care? I only wish they would care as much about other rules - like being on topic.

However, I don't think it's a case of Woot "not caring" in the past. Rather, the problem just wasn't noticed. Since the other submission used only grey tones that were all lighter than the asphalt, it was no big deal. It's different in this case. For those who are NOT derby regulars, it would be easier to make a mistake in interpreting this comp (as Josephus said above, it could be interpreted as AA's silver or slate shirt).

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

Tiemannl


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tiemannl
drainhts wrote:Hey look, Frank. Teeny-boppers. You like video games teeny-boppers? Your mommy give you quarters for video games?


LOL The Toxic Avenger

hyuk hyuk hyuk, tacos rule!

drainhts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drainhts
eHalcyon wrote:Using your own argument, just because Woot didn't care THEN, should we really be complaining that they are starting to care?


This argument is tantamount to being told by my electrician that it sure was a good thing he found the faulty wiring that burned my house down AFTER it burned my house down instead of when I actually called him up and had him come over to inspect it in the first place, because hey, at least now when we rebuild the house it won't catch on fire again. Yes, great, you found the fault, fabulous, but considering you had the exact same opportunity months ago and chose to ignore it at that point, no, my opinion of your work is not very high right now since my house has already burned down.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
drainhts wrote:This argument is tantamount to being told by my electrician that it sure was a good thing he found the faulty wiring that burned my house down AFTER it burned my house down instead of when I actually called him up and had him come over to inspect it in the first place, because hey, at least now when we rebuild the house it won't catch on fire again. Yes, great, you found the fault, fabulous, but considering you had the exact same opportunity months ago and chose to ignore it at that point, no, my opinion of your work is not very high right now since my house has already burned down.


So your complaint is that Woot should have rejected the earlier design, and not that this design shouldn't have been rejected? My argument is that we shouldn't complain that the faulty wiring was found. Saying that this design should not have been rejected simply because past designs making the same mistake weren't rejected is analagous to requesting that the electrician just pretend like there isn't any faulty wiring the second time around, instead leaving it broken and not fixing it at all. If I am now interpreting your argument correctly, then I certainly agree - Woot should have better adhered to their own rules before. As it is, at least they're not continuing to allow the same mistakes to pass.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

drainhts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drainhts
eHalcyon wrote:Saying that this design should not have been rejected simply because past designs making the same mistake weren't rejected is analagous to requesting that the electrician just pretend like there isn't any faulty wiring the second time around, instead leaving it broken and not fixing it at all.


Except that isn't the problem; the problem, and I apologize for the fact that I'm apparently not getting this across very well, is that they PRINTED a shirt by the designer that WAS SUBMITTED ON this wrong template, and thus SHOULD HAVE told him then "Hey, dude, don't use this template anymore".

There is no excuse. None. Had they done that, this would not be an issue now, period. And, again, THEY PRINTED THE DESIGN. They KNEW at that point what was going on. It isn't like dude's been a last-place contributor who lucked into a fogged entry. The design they printed received an Editor's Choice print, which means, in essence, that someone at Woot LOOKED AT THE DESIGN before saying "Yup, print it", saw the wrong template, and ignored it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand your point, I just happen to think it's wholly indefensible.

eHalcyon


quality posts: 66 Private Messages eHalcyon
drainhts wrote:Except that isn't the problem; the problem, and I apologize for the fact that I'm apparently not getting this across very well, is that they PRINTED a shirt by the designer that WAS SUBMITTED ON this wrong template, and thus SHOULD HAVE told him then "Hey, dude, don't use this template anymore".

There is no excuse. None. Had they done that, this would not be an issue now, period. And, again, THEY PRINTED THE DESIGN. They KNEW at that point what was going on. It isn't like dude's been a last-place contributor who lucked into a fogged entry. The design they printed received an Editor's Choice print, which means, in essence, that someone at Woot LOOKED AT THE DESIGN before saying "Yup, print it", saw the wrong template, and ignored it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I understand your point, I just happen to think it's wholly indefensible.


Yes, I agree - they should have said so back then. Possible reasons why they didn't include Woot's own capriciousness and the possibility that they just didn't notice before. Your point and my original point are not incompatible.

(Unofficial) Derby Rules (outdated?)
Designing for the Derby (definitely outdated)
Tips for New Designers (always useful)

glendower


quality posts: 4 Private Messages glendower
Re: Steamworks Operatica


Definitely change the color and resubmit. I like this.

drainhts


quality posts: 0 Private Messages drainhts
eHalcyon wrote:Yes, I agree - they should have said so back then. Possible reasons why they didn't include Woot's own capriciousness and the possibility that they just didn't notice before. Your point and my original point are not incompatible.


Agreed.

byrbwr


quality posts: 3 Private Messages byrbwr

i love how woot won't ever answer anyone, and never has to answer for their snuggled up logic.

worst customer service? well, it's almost as bad as electronic arts, let's put it that way.

fatalGRACE


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fatalGRACE
byrbwr wrote:i love how woot won't ever answer anyone, and never has to answer for their snuggled up logic.

worst customer service? well, it's almost as bad as electronic arts, let's put it that way.


How is it that such a relevant and extraordinarily well made shirt gets rejected, while random, in some cases awkwardly drawn (penguin and dog), and completely irrelevant to the theme, shirts are allowed to remain in the fof?

HeartlineTwist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HeartlineTwist
fatalGRACE wrote:How is it that such a relevant and extraordinarily well made shirt gets rejected, while random, in some cases awkwardly drawn (penguin and dog), and completely irrelevant to the theme, shirts are allowed to remain in the fof?


Because an incorrect color template is a lot easier to strike down than a pretty broad and subjective theme that's covered LOTS of things and topic areas?

More Derby Entries

By date:

By rank:

Thumbnail